A "case-by-case basis" option for pet-friendly

Lindsey14
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

A "case-by-case basis" option for pet-friendly

I wish there was a "case-by-case basis" or "it depends" option for hosts's listings on whether or not they are pet-friendly. Like if you wanna bring your cute, well-behaved pomeranian or corgi, my answer would absolutely be yes. but we're talking about an untrained pitbull or some sort of obnoxious, large, untrained dog, my answer would be hellllllll no. 

Since I have instant-booking turned on, I can't make sure to inquire about that with the guest beforehand, so I just make my listing "no pets" because I don't wanna take the chance of a guest coming with a dog from hell, who craps all over the rug and floor, etc. However, I know that makes my listing less appealing and that sucks, especially if there are SOME pets that I would welcome! 

8 Replies 8
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You can add to your description ''Though I do not say I am pet friendly, I have been known to accept the odd small and wellbehaved dog. You can always ask before booking!''

Woof.

right but I won't show up as such in the listings. If it says I'm pet-friendly, does that mean I have to accept ALL pets or be penalized? 

Jenn6
Level 2
Washington, DC

Curious why you assume large dogs are somehow obnoxious or untrained? I have met my fair share of extremely obnoxious untrained small dogs as well as many calm, wonderfully behaved large dogs (including pit bulls). I also doubt that people will be entirely honest in that regard. Most people aren't going to say "oh yes, my dog isn't house trained and is terribly behaved!" Sounds like you just shouldn't allow any pets to take the guesswork out of it. 

I was about to write the same response!!!! Thank you for your words.

I didn't and don't assume that. And I know people won't be honest if I ask, straight-up, "Is your dog well-behaved?" but there's other ways to ask the question that can result in a more honest answer. I'm not worried about that. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If it's important for you say yes  - say yes.

In  your house rules you can describe the type of dogs you will accept and under what conditions ie must be with owners at all times - so they don't try and leave the dogs with you.

If you want to say yes purely for finanical reasons, think there will also be people like myself who wouldn't consider your property because my son has allergies to pet hairs.

That's true, I've thought about that. And plus, with a 4-day maximum stay, I doubt most people will need to bring their pets, anyway. Though, tbh, I don't allow kids, either, so I imagine you wouldn't consider my property, anyway! haha

Good point, though. 

Nick57
Level 1
New York, US

Helen has the right approach, IMHO. We are running on-going businesses here, so the rules shouldn't just be about us, but about how it will affect our next guests, and beyond. My space has a private garden, and a front yard, but I don't allow smoking anywhere inside or outside the property, firstly because I loathe smoking, and secondly (probably should be first...) I want to be able to guarantee to my future guests that the space is completely free of smoke. Same deal, I think, with pets. In two years, I have allowed two people to bring very small dogs in, and I have not regretted it, but in both cases they were return guests, so I already knew the level of their responsibility.