A third choice beyond approve or decline

Michel114
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

A third choice beyond approve or decline

Please consider adding a third choice beyond appove or decline once someone makes a reservation request.

Time and time again we get request from guests that have no profile, no description, no photo and no reviews to stay in our home. We are very clear that we need some information from guests before make the chocie to open up our home to them, nevetheless they see pretty pictures and want to stay in our home without having read our profile.  In respond to such requests we ask that they read our listing carefully and to please tell us about themselves.  We don't want to be aggressive and decline but we don't feel comfortable to accept without knowing anything about them.  So we send the responce and wait and more often than not we never hear back from them, at which point, prior to the 24 hours we have to maek the choice to decline them.  What if there were a third choice or an ability to filter ourselves out of people who have no profile, no description, no reviews.  Also can you have some sort of orientation video or something to guide them as first timers for such people so that we are not left to hand hold them at every step?

9 Replies 9

There should be a check list for potential guests; 

This Host requires the following.  Please make sure you have

1) Been completely verified

2) Have prior reviews

3) Share why you are visiting

Just a suggestion.  I completely agree with you though.

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

Some guests don't even read my listing let alone my house rules or profile.  I think some really only look at pictures, price and weather entire place or private room.  Honestly!

I have to tell them to read all the listing to make sure my place is right for them before I accept their booking which I am sure ticks some of them off a little bit but what else am I to do?  My place is unique and is not perfect for everybody so I have to make sure they know that!

So many times I have seen hosts complaining they got a lower star rating because of something that was clearly laid out in the listing description but the guest did not read the listing description so they were disappointed; but then punished the host with a lower star rating.

Good idea, "Waiting for Guests Response" Button which would initiate a message to the guest reminding them to reply or cancel OR downgrading their Reservation Request to an Inquiry.   Or having a button Hosts can press to downgrade to Inquiry until they respond to questions with no penalties for host!

Shawn8
Level 1
Santiago, Chile

It would be LOVELY if there was a "PLEASE READ GUEST REQUIREMENTS/HOUSE RULES FIRST" button? 

or a 

"WOW, YOU DON'T NORMALLY QUALIFY AS A GUEST FOR ME, (READ MY PROFILE), BUT I'M INTERESTED IN WHY YOU HAVE ASKED ME TO STAY IN MY HOME." (my HOME being  the key phrase in that sentence.)

nice thread. 🙂

Sue67
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Yes yes yes! I don't know how many times I have had to answer questions from guests that are clearly answered on my listing. 'How do I get to your place?' Read the exhaustive description on your booking confirmation! 'How do I book.' Click the big button marked 'BOOK!'

A check list for (especially new) guests would save hosts a lot of time - especially about completing profiles and reasons for visit and who is travelling with you. You can't do anything about reviews if they are new to Airbnb. 

Trifino0
Level 2
Goa, India

I completely agree. Sometimes it does take time to communicate with the guest before you decide. There should be a third option of " under consideration" with a time frame to respond.

HollyandDan0
Level 2
United States

This is pretty close to my question. I have 2 pending inquiries. I already declined all of the dog owners, but the guy with the 80+ yes old mom who can't do stairs, is it better to decline or let it expire? When I told him there were too many stairs for her IMO he did not cancel his request.

Do you cancel or let expire those requests?

HollyandDan0
Level 2
United States

Decline or let expire, which is better for your host rating???