Access Suggestions

Newell1
Level 1
Manchester, GB

Access Suggestions

I host an apartment in Manchester but I live in Altrincham and can't always be there at the ideal check in time for guests. Guests cannot access the complex without a fob and there is no concierge. I also don't know anyone in the complex or nearby who can pass on the key and fob. I did put a lock box outside but this was removed by the management company. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to arrange access for guests in this situation? 

3 Replies 3
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are several companies such as Key Cafe, who store keys and you can arrange for guests to pick up/drop them off after the stay.

The downside is you have to rely on the guest picking up during opening hours, remembering to drop the keys back after and the associated issues and so on.

There is a similar business that links up local corner shops/ newsagents registered with the business to host keys for guests to collect/drop off- again with some room for logistical issues.

You could work with an Airbnb management company and just use the guest meet/greet service for check ins when you’re not available- then at least your guest is seeing a friendly face and not having to hot foot it to a key cafe or corner shop! (If any of the above services are available in Manchester I don’t know)

Or you could get a co-host in Manchester who could manage the check ins you can’t :-)) 

Or you could do what I have seen some hosts do in New York and attach a padlock keysafe to a nearby railing (not ideal, and I’m joking here!)

One place in Japan I was a guest at had the key lock box attached to a bike that was chain-locked in the bicycle parking area in a nearby apartment building, about a 5 min walk away from our listing location. I was under the impression that the bike location was probably the host's or co-host's residence.

James812
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Hey Newell,

I am a superhost in Manchester, and I co host a number of flats in town. Would happily grab a coffee for a chat or just a phone call to discuss? Have a look at my airbnb profile etc for reviews etc.