Account Takover and Airbnb support

Paige6
Level 1
New York, NY

Account Takover and Airbnb support

My account recently underwent an "account takeover" in which a hacker changed the information on my listing and my account so that I was locked out. I notified Airbnb right away and spoke to 7 Customer Experience reps (2 of them supervisors) in the following 24 hours, at which point my issue was still on a wait list to be addressed by the security department. During this time I was led to believe that my issue was being examined while it was not. This resulted in me leaving the account exposed for hours when I could have removed it immediately (through the app on my phone which was remained linked to account). Airbnb reps also discouraged me from replying to inquiries to book (received through app) by telling them the account was compromised.

This exposure to vulnerability, and the lack of urgency and lack of forthrightness is unsettling for a company that advocates safety, protection and transparency of practice.

Has anyone else experienced an account takeover? Was your experience with Airbnb support negative or positive? Do you feel Airbnb took appropriate steps to protect you and your information?

17 Replies 17
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Maria1772,

I am sorry to hear this has happened and your concern. 

I just wanted to check if you have spoken with our Support Team now?

Hope to speak with you soon.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sierra19
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Hi, 

My account was hacked this Thursday and someone stole $857 from my bank account by booking trips to Poland. I have been contacting AirBnB every single day and no one has helped me or even bothered to update me on what is going on with my account. I am EXTREMELY frustrated and dissapointed with the lack of customer support I have recieved and am contemplating legal action. Any advice anyone can offer me would be so helpful. I am completely lost on what to do at this point 😞 

Paige,

Without going into detail I had a "potential guest" ask to room one of my accommodations. As always I had a back n forth cat to see if she seemed like I wanted her as a guest. Her partner said he had questions and wasn't ready to book yet but during these chats, they took over my account... added fake pictures of mansions and didn't bother to delete my photos. Then they doubled my prices which were still so low compared to what their fake photos shoed so I was inundated with requests for people eager to get a mansion for the price of a small flat.....This was 13 days ago and NO real response from "Trust and Safety"; many boilerplate messages saying to change my password and all would be OK... If those folk can't communicate with us Hosts in a critical situation, what are they there for?   Guillem