Activate Instant Booking and only have verified guests booking

Answered!
Alexandra-and-Aksam0
Level 1
Quebec, Quebec, Canada

Activate Instant Booking and only have verified guests booking

Hi,

I was thinking of activating the instant booking feature but I am afraid that my setting saying that only verified guests can book my listing will be ignored.

Can anyone confirm that it is still possible to select the "Anyone in the Airbnb Community" under the Who Can Book section and still only have verified guests booking?

Thanks to anyone who will take the time to read this and an even bigger thank you if you take the time to reply.

1 Best Answer
Tanya-and-Alex0
Level 5
Sofia, Bulgaria

Hi, 

Absolutely - when you have this setting it is also valid for Instant Booking. Guests have to verify themselves before making an instant booking with you. 

Best

View Best Answer in original post

51 Replies 51
Andrea526
Level 1
New York, NY

In the past couple of weeks I've had potential guests querying me regarding my space,and then after our conversation sending a reservation request. But when I approve the request, I am notified by AirBnB that the reservation is pending until the guest submits valid payment information. In both cases, valid payment information was never submitted and the whole transaction was canceled. Here is my concern: What information do these failed guests have about me, my contact information, and my address in the period in which I have approved them but they have not paid? Are they phishing for contact with hosts and details on their places for some other use? Is there anything I can do to vet this people ahead of time? Seems like potential security issues here...

Hi Andrea,
I've been a host with Airbnb for about 1.5 yrs now. I ask for verification thru Airbnb prior to a guest even wanting to book, otherwise they can't book with me. I feel it is a safe option for me so I do it. Until a person books with you (with a confermation and OK to pay) they do not have any information about you, your full name, where you live and any contact info. From what I know about Airbnb, that is their proceedure. But please feel free to call them and ask. I ask them questions all the time to be better informed. You should too. I always find they are very happy to help in any way they can. –1 (415) 800-5959 in San Francisco..
I have had potential guests phishing for my address and contact info. Don't go for it. It's not safe. Stick to the guests who play by the rules, go thru Airbnb and if you suspect they are trying to do something else, call Airbnb. They will deal w/ it. Also, never reply thru your private email but reply thru the Airbnb reply chain on their site. That will also keep you safe and Airbnb will have a better idea what's going on..
P.S. I also look up a guests referrals from past bookings and if they are bad or suspect in some way, I don't approve the booking. After all, we all want to have a positive, safe experience. I do that by being careful. Another tip: Deny 3rd party bookings because if anything goes wrong, Airbnb cannot help you. It's just another precaution.
PPS: I also do not do instant bookings because I want to know a little about this person before I let them book. That's just me though. I am a cautious person because I live alone. Instant booking gets you more bookings but at what cost?
Good luck Andrea and set up your rules and stick by them. Hope this has helped in some way.

Jan-Tilman0
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

I am not satisfied withe  rules and habits of airbnb!

First of all: There is NOBODY that does service for us hosts.. WE make the money for the company.. can you call a plattform a company?

Second:

When I do not accept, do not deny and also do not want to make a new offer, cause I can't by the information I've got from the costumer, BUT I ANSWER AND ASK  to make a proper price - we have a huge court outside of Berlin , it would not be ok to ask for 5 people a daily price of 400 € , but for 12 it's too low.. this is just a simple example, there are more detailled and difficult ones...

We can host up to 40 people! So it should be possible to talk first and still be in the 24 hours limit, cause that makes my rating..

SO: I answer within 24 hours, but airbnb does not count that!

On the other hand, I have a travelling job and I am no slave to airbnb - the would not be able to pay me ;-))) -  I want more than 24 hours..!! We are no employees!

Best Jan

Jan,
I do not experience the problems you have at all. I rent my rooms to one or two people max in 2 rooms. I have a set price. There is no barganing. I can accept the reservation or not. If I feel uncomfotable with a guest thru their communication or lack thereof, I do not accept the booking. It's simple. I think you may be making it more difficult for yourself by bartering with guests. Be explicit on the site. Tell them what you have to offer and stick to your price. Set a maximum occupancy. Each additional guest beside the person that books will be an additional fee. Look at what others list in your city to compare. For instance, each additional person 6that books in my home with the guest that books is $8-$10 more per night. Make it easy on yourself. Airbnb gets very little $ for all the support they give me on the phone and a wonderful website that WORKS well! I stay booked all the time. I suggest that you give them a call and get some additional info from them directly if you have issues. They help me all the time and give me great advice on how to improve my listing. Try it. Their corp office is in San Francisco but they have customer service reps all over the world. There's no reason for you to be so distressed. Reach out, they are there to help. I hope this helps you in some way. To call them: US: 1 (415) 800-5959  or 1 (855) 424-7262. When you get thru to them, ask what # you can call in Germany, I'm positive they have reps there. All my best. – Deborah

PS: I have a young German couple staying here right now in Florida. Wonderful people. I really love being a host and if you give it a chance, I think you will too. My sincere advice: stay open, positive and take Airbnb's advice. They will help you if you reach out to them.

PPS: I do not have instant booking. It works better for me if I do not have that activated. I happen to like checking out the potential guest references and/or reviews before I approve the booking. It's all up to you Jan.

Dear Deborah,

thank you for your answer! But I think our situations differ a lot: When I rented out a room in the city, I also never had any problems with the airbnb system, it worked fantastic! But the other object , which I already split into two houses (each 350 qm), outside of Berlin, costs much more and the one particular important issue for me is: I do not want to have unsatisfied clients! So I answer first, try to find the right price for their special interest in our house: Some do more generation days (with 12 till 20 people), men celebrate a stag party, Some  are managers, some workers, some plan a wedding even - with 100 guests! can you imaging a eldergeneration retreat besides a stag party?? The thumb would twitter: Not cool, devastating! And answering is work, that airbnb is using to reduce my level instead of putting it up!

conclusion: It is easy to be host of a room, a flat, or a few rooms - it turns into business, when it is a house, 2 houses, a farm..

nevertheless,in germany I did not find any telephon contact with airbnb. It seems to be a complete automatized company..

Best Jan TIlman Schade,  check in the net

Maggie82
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

How can I confirm that my listing includes Instant Booking?

If you have instant booking set up, there will be a little lightning bolt on your listing page. I forget where it exactly is because I do not use it anymore. It doesn't work for me. I want to know who I have coming in and the option to not approve someone who has no reviews. You should call Airbnb to make sure you have set it up correctly if you don't see the little lightning bolt.   (1-415-800-5959).