Add service pricing

Michelle193
Level 1
Hobart, Australia

Add service pricing

How do I add a price to cover the service charge Airbnb charges me. I have gone into the pricing area but nowhere that I can find does it give the option to enter service fee that I can see

11 Replies 11
Richard146
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

I have the same question. So I will await someone else's response.
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Michelle193 What an odd request. But if you really want to do it, it's not that diffcult, but will have some implications for both you and your guests.

Let's say your standard rate is $100/night, and that you don't charge a cleaning fee. AirBnB is going to charge you a 3% fee on that $100. So, you can increase your nightly rate to $103 to get back that 3% (=$3) fee. But now you've upped your 3% fee from $3 to $3.09. And you've upped your guest's typical 12% fee from $12 to $12.36. I'm ignoring AirBnB's rounding policy here, but while it wouldn't kick in for a one-night booking, it would (for the guest) for a 2-night booking, and would for you for longer bookings.

The whole calculation gets trickier if you have a cleaning charge, of course.

I always find it strange when hosts want AirBnB to provide ways to "add on" a fee for the host's local taxes, and I find this idea of yours even stranger. (Not saying that you're strange or anything, or even wrong.) I simply think: price your listing at whatever rate you a) need it to be and b) can get for it. While, at the same time, taking into consideration whatever local taxes and licensing fees you pay and whatever commission you have to pay to AirBnB. Meaning that if you feel you need to get $100 night to cover your costs and make the profit you want to make, then charge $103 (or $104 or $105) per night as long as you can get guests willing to pay that amount. The way that we run our listing is we set rates (variable each and every day, and revisited every few days) to the maximum amount we can get guests to accept (and go away happy). If we're not getting booked at a satisfactory level, we reduce our rates slightly. Seems to work. We book up 80-90% 3 months in advance, 95% two months in advance. If we tried adding add'l fees for local taxes and AirBnB's fee, we'd book up less and later.

I certainly don't know how federal income taxes work in Australia, but in the US, all of those contributors to earnings and costs can be worked out when filing taxes.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

There is  no such option.

David
Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Michelle,

Don't know what your pricing is like but I do know for myself that the $3.00 that airbnb charges me is not an amount that I would want to try to get back from them, or to charge more to cover that small cost. I am more than willing to have airbnb charge me such a small price to not have to deal with money at all and in doing so freeing me up to not  have to deal with having the "money conversation" with  my guests as I can only imagine how difficult that could be with some guests.  It also gives me more personal  time to  enjoy my Guests and Hosting in general.   I guess I want to ask; why would you not want airbnb to make such a small amount off of you for the opportunity of listing your site?  I understand that airbnb is making a lot of money off of ALL of us combined but on an individual level I think it is a very reasonable charge and I am very glad that I don't ever have to be put in the position of haggling about money with anybody, it is not a good feeling for me and I don't do it very well. 

Just wondering here on a Sunday night....... after getting a perfectly delightful Guest back on the road with the mutual feeling that both of our lives have been enriched by meeting each other.  For me this is what the original airbnb community was all about and I relish the times when I have these kind of airbnb experiences. 

Eloise at Happy Trails

Eloise0
Level 10
Winslow, AZ

Michelle,

Don't know what your pricing is like but I do know for myself that the $3.00 that airbnb charges me is not an amount that I would want to try to get back from them, or to charge more to cover that small cost. I am more than willing to have airbnb charge me such a small price to not have to deal with money at all and in doing so freeing me up to not  have to deal with having the "money conversation" with  my guests as I can only imagine how difficult that could be with some guests.  It also gives me more personal  time to  enjoy my Guests and Hosting in general.   I guess I want to ask; why would you not want airbnb to make such a small amount off of you for the opportunity of listing your site?  I understand that airbnb is making a lot of money off of ALL of us combined but on an individual level I think it is a very reasonable charge and I am very glad that I don't ever have to be put in the position of haggling about money with anybody, it is not a good feeling for me and I don't do it very well. 

Just wondering here on a Sunday night....... after getting a perfectly delightful Guest back on the road with the mutual feeling that both of our lives have been enriched by meeting each other.  For me this is what the original airbnb community was all about and I relish the times when I have these kind of airbnb experiences. 

Eloise at Happy Trails

Khong0
Level 2
Malaysia

How do I add a price to cover the service charge Airbnb charges me. I have gone into the pricing area but nowhere that I can find does it give the option to enter service fee that I can see

I'm confuse as well with your topic. Airbnb service charge doesn't apply to you, it applies to the guest that is booking your place. An example, If you put in your day rates at USD100, Airbnb's online system will add in the service charge based on percentage calculations which will probably make up with a total of USD115 (Just an example), and Airbnb will not deduct anything from your initial day rate which is USD100. USD100 will go to your account. The guest will pay USD115 to Airbnb and Airbnb will take USD15 and then USD100 will be disbursed to your account.

Is that not the right architecture of the online program?

Khong,
You are incorrect. If your rate is $100 you will only get $97. Airbnb will still charge the Guest the service fee and occupancy taxes but also charges hosts 3% of their rates (including cleaning fees, which we hosts only get 97% of as well).

thanks for the correction @Kelly58

Khong,
You are incorrect. If your rate is $100 you will only get $97. Airbnb will still charge the Guest the service fee and occupancy taxes but also charges hosts 3% of their rates (including cleaning fees, which we hosts only get 97% of as well).
Christopher2
Level 3
Cumnor, United Kingdom

You factor it in to your prices. Leaving you with thje amount you want for your listing.

James1550
Level 2
Key West, FL

I have seen some listing showing a cleaning fee (self explaniary), extra guest fee and a service fee. I am trying to get my head around the service fee. I understand AirBnB charges me 3% for the great support that they provide but these listings with a seperate service fee appear to be attempting to list their accomidations at a lower base price and make up any shortfall in their projected earnings.

Am I misssing something?