Advice approaching a problem with a guest/neighbors concerned/What would you do??

Beth131
Level 2
Littleton, CO

Advice approaching a problem with a guest/neighbors concerned/What would you do??

Sorry, this is long but I'm having a hard time summarizing.  Here we go... ever since my guests arrived (Aug 12-17) they have been somewhat 'off'. I was worried then chalked it up to being obvlivious kids (they are 20-21... beginning issues you can see in my other post). So I've given them that benefit of the doubt. They are nice and take feedback well but something else just arose. Rewind... when the guest made the reservation he asked if his friend could hang out here when he would be drivng them places. I said its fine, figuring he wouldn't be here for long periods of time (my mistake not getting clarification on that!!!) but he can't spend the night. Well... last night they brought over 3 friends (night before 2 and I think they were here for a while but by the time I noticed and worked up the courage to say somemthing they were leaving) so last night when 3 extras showed up I finally said to the booking guest that due to liability issues I can't have extra people hanging out here that aren't on the reservation. They asked again about the friend driving them and I said every now and then its ok as we had agreed upon in the beginning and I thanked him again for asking ahead of time, but he can't stay. Well... I was up until 2:30am and he was still here. His car was gone in the morning when my guests were still sleeping but he certainly wasn't hanging out "every now and then". Again, my mistake for not clarifying but last night I felt so awkward kicking 3 people out that I didn't push an exact time limit. And now comes the big issue.....

My neighbor texted me about an hour ago "It looks like these people staying with you are putting small girls in the trunk of their car???".  So I called them. The 2 girls staying are small. Apparently they got under the back screen thing in the SUV when they left and my neighbors were concerned because of all the human trafficking info out there lately. I don't think that's the case, I talked to the girls here and there and they seem ok but that behanvior is BIZARRE.  So then my neighbors said that there was a car outside my house for hours last night AND previous nights just sitting there (the friends I'm guessing). Earlier I noticed a bunch of cigarette buts in front of my house so makes sense! We were trying to figure it out but there is a chance that this car could have been loitering prior to my guests arrival too. The neighbors said they were going to call the cops but wanted to talk to me first. And for the record my neighbors are PHENOMINAL. They do so much for me, are so nice and are super down to earth so they aren't the type that would even think to call the cops about anything unless there was a real concern.

So... we come to the advice/concerns. I called Airbnb (better service than expected based on what I've read!) and they suggested I talk to them first about the loitering and they'll get involved to help these people find a place if it continues (I have tonight and tomorrow night left). SO my concern is that this guy lives in the next town, knows where I live and whats in the house (everything of value locked up but I still have a few TVs, DVD collection, etc that he saw... and they love my pup and one of the girls today joked about how they were trying to figure out how they can take him with them), and I don't want to make them mad and have something happen to my property whether it be now or down the line if this friend of theirs IS sketchy. The guests are from TX so I wouldn't be as worried about them but their friend and the 2 others from last night are all locals. So I have to talk to them about the loitering. Any advice on the best way to approach this to keep it peaceful??  They've been fine so far and their friends have been respectful as well, but this is bigger and now I'm extremely concerned about the neighbors feedback about this guy potentially scoping out the house before his friends even got here. My friends tell me I'm too nice giving people the benefit of the doubt so now I'm all worried I was being naive in thinking they are just young and don't know any better. I don't know what to do!  Yesterday I was worried about a bad review... and today I'm terrified that my property is at risk. PLEASE HELP!  They are out of the house now, HOPEFULLY for the evening, but they mostly just hang out here so if that trend continues they'll be back soon.  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Beth131

Stick to your rules - alwasy say no....you let the situation slide into a potentially dangerous one for your property and addiitional hosts and or neighbours. You are too nice!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you need to grow a back bone. I agree you let this situation evolve by not being firm in the first place.

Just have a friendly but firm chat. Confirm that if they want to hang out with friends, they need to do so off the premises.

That if they have a (one friend) that wants to pick them up they can do so but purely to pick them up rather than hang out to the early hours.

Thank you both for the help! I agree, I can definitely be spineless sometimes and I'm going to have to learn to address issues as they are happening instead of letting it get bad enough that they walk all over me. Lesson learned that's for sure! At least they acted respectful when I had to bring everything up. I'm just happy they are gone. Question... do you suggest saying in the listing that there are no additional guests allowed who aren't in the reservation? Is that a normal problem? I don't want to ruin anyone's vacation by not mentioning that prior to their stay but I kind of assumed it went without saying. 

I just got a notification that he posted a review. If it's really bad I just hope he put details in there about WHY there were issues because any guest that would be turned off by what actually happened I wouldn't want here anyway. Ugh! I'm scared to read it 😕 Funny... I go from a party of 5 early 20's girls that said they loved everything so much they were trying to figure out how they could all write reviews (just the booking guest right? Because I'm totally emailing them and letting them know how to do it if they can all write them! Haha) to 4 just a few years younger that I had to practically parent for 5 days. Sigh.

again, thanks for the advice and thank you for the candid feedback!!