Afraid to review guests

Lorraine132
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Afraid to review guests

There seem to be a lot of people in Los Angeles that live in air bnbs, as our  guests do. She had good reviews and the first day there was one boyfriend. The next day was a boyfriend and a  kid visiting, hanging out. The next day two kids, the next day 3 kids. Smoking in the room, couldn’t get them out after check out. Complete disregard for any time frame. Started telling me she couldn’t book another and was stuck. Now I’m afraid. She had scheduled to come back for another 3 weeks in August, but cancelled the minute they pulled away. It’s not the same when they live in the area.... 

from now now on I want the photo ID for anyone in my house .

25 Replies 25
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lorraine132  It might be helpful for you to make it clear that only registered guests are allowed in your home.  I see that you have 2 private room listings but your description encourages guests to use the whole space and you allow smoking in specified areas.  While this guest might not be good at reading the rules, it is good to have house rules on your listing and in hard copy form in each room.

I am not sure I understand your "fear" of writing a review unless you think that they will come back in person and cause problems.  You can write a review that simply states this guest is better suited for a hotel than the shared home setting. 

Many hosts will avoid hosting guests who are local due to several issues including not wanting a concern for the guest coming back.   

THAT, is exactly what I’m afraid of. She works about 3 miles from my house and has a HUGE family living under the radar. That  was my first guest..... wow, air bnb verified she has a phone number.... lots of changes to come. NOT THE SAFETY NET THAT WAS SOLD TO ME!!!!

Thank you for your reply. I will do a hard copy. Yes, they have run of the house, but I rented to 2 people, not 5. My space says it is NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN. 

@Lorraine132   If your listing is so inexpensive that people can afford to live there basically full-time, raise your prices. You could also set a 2 week minimum or don't offer any discounts for longer term stays.

Thank you, limits set

@Lorraine132   You can ask the guest to upload an ID as a condition for having their booking accepted (if you use Instant Book you can click it as a parameter) and as @Linda108 mentioned put in your rules that only verified guests on the reservation are allowed on the property and add it in a message to the guests.  Also your price seems quite low for what you offer, (but, I don't know the average in your neighborhood), however low prices have been known to attract all sorts of problems.

Thank you

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Remember AirBnb is basically a Booking System with a few bells and whistles, this is your business.

David
Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Lorraine132 ,

if she has a huge family living close to You, maybe it's best not to review her at all. If there's nothing there, then there is no room for misunderstandings.  If she asks why You didn't review her: You forgot or there was a computer clitch. Don't get into any kind of debate with this person.

Yes, I agree, thank you

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Lorraine132  You can actually still review her and give her 1* across the board with a thumbs down, but just not say anything that would post on her profile. It will stop her from being able to instant book with anyone and she could not rebook with you ever. Any host with instant book turned on if she requested to book would see the stars as 1. Also 3 thumbs down and she's barred from AirBnB as it cost them too much time and/or money to keep letting her continue to book. She will never know about the stars. Also flag her profile that's anonymous also. 

THANKYOU

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I didn't know all that about the thumbs down, thanks.

Charlie159
Level 2
St Paul, MN

I appreciate what you are experiencing.  I am becoming leary of accepting guest who already live in my area. Does not sound good. My worst guest is the one who book for 3 weeks and already lived in town.  She is basically living in airbnbs.  I blocked my calendar for 5 days at the end of her stay which is literally costing me new bookings.  I believe I will start limiting stays to no more than 14 days

It’s been pretty scetchy. Good ideas, all of them