AirBnb removed the map from search: Are guests asking where your place is? PLZ call AirBnb

Answered!
Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

AirBnb removed the map from search: Are guests asking where your place is? PLZ call AirBnb

TL;DR:  AirBnb no longers lets guests look at a map showing the location of different listings on the map (at least on desktop).  Clicking into listings still lets you see location on a (small) map. 

In the past few days we've gotten a huge uptick in guests asking how far we are from [insert destination].  We get a few like that per month, but it's rare, as we mention in our listing that Google Maps is a great way to find directions 😉  

A friend gave me a head's up today that he was looking for an AirBnb in a different city, and couldn't search for listings on the map on AirBnb anymore. 

Hopped on the computer, and found it to be true (logged in, no map button on the search results page; in an incognito window, there was a map on/off button, but it was dead).  Called into AirBnb, and after going through some customer service scripts with the first person who answered, I got transferred to someone authorized to go off script.  I was on hold for awhile as he got in touch with the tech folks, and it turns out that AirBnb has removed the ability for guests to search by location on a map (in desktop).  The map functionality is kind've still there in app, but only if you know it was there and to click the unlabeled map button. 😐

Repeat:  On the computer, guests can't say, "I'm going to X concert venue, so I'll look at the map and investigate the AirBnb listings closest to the venue."  For Philadelphia, which has roughly 150,000 small neighborhoods, guests can narrow down search results by neighborhood, if they already happen to know the names of every small neighborhood in a city they've never visited.  AirBnb confirmed this is not a glitch.

The supervisor I talked to agreed that this is bonkers, and told me that customer service got no notice about this.  He gave me a feedback link that apparently actually goes somewhere (we'll see).  If other hosts find this as crazy as I do, and are worried that guests will flee the platform if they can't find rooms in the locations they want, PLEASE call AirBnb.

TIPS for a successful call (probably 20 minutes start to finish, most of it on hold)

- Customer service will want your name *as it appears on your account* +

Email

Phone Number

Payout Method

and Payout Method Email

- Explain that you're a serious host who has made a serious investment in AirBnb's platform, and are concerned about a major policy change that you've just learned about.  

- Explain that you've learned AirBnb has removed map functionality from guest searches on the desktop (not mobile) site.

** The customer service rep will likely NOT know about this and will tell you it's your browser.  Be patient**

- Explain that you understand they haven't received notice about this yet, but that your friend who is also a host just got off the phone with a Customer Service Supervisor and that he was in contact with an AirBnb technical team who explained that this is not a glitch. (You're not lying, I'm a friend to all.)  🙂

- Ask to be transferred to a supervisor or team leader authorized to get in touch with a technical team to confirm that the loss of map functionality is intentional and not a device-or-browser-level glitch; let them know you'll be happy to hold.  

- If they resist, respectfully and politely reiterate that you've invested a lot into the platform, and that you cannot continue to host without an explanation, beyond a scripted answer, for such a major policy level change that threatens your AirBnb business.  (A lot of us prefer to present as homey folks instead of businesspeople, but AirBnb understands that they cannot risk folks' livelihood.  If you have a lot of listings and/or a lot of reviews, share those numbers with the rep., and they'll have a better sense of how serious you are.)

- Explain above to supervisor.

- Ask supervisor to send you a feedback link specific to your account, or that you'll hold if he or she wants to get in touch with the AirBnb tech team to confirm.  

- Send feedback.  

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Have been going on about this for some time now (it's the reason I got back on the forum, to find out what was happening) and put suggestions on Host Voice etc but possibly because not all users over the world will see the same version of the site at the same time we don't complain as a unified lot. I will say ''where's the map, can't see it?'' and someone else will say ''yes it is, it's right here, no problem''.

But if it has dissapeared globally, then the gradual map loss might be the new look of Airbnb and it is a huge mistake. Do complain, complain loud and clear as this is insanity. We need to know where we are!

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47

For customer's search It is totally idiotic not to show locations. I will not use Airbnb anymore

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I can search with map, have been able for a while. But it was gone for ages, came back, went away, is now back. It is unstable and I wondered if it had something to do with how they are rejigging the homepage? Since everything is changing there, looks and function wise.

YES

I still cant find the map. was sharing with a friend last week, trusted out guts, only to find the facility was two kilometres from the intended location....since we had paid, we had to incurr extra charges on taxi

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

OP UPDATE:  Map functionality has returned on desktop for us, but looks like this is something they were trying in a bunch of markets (we're in Philly, originally heard about it in Albany, and other commenters are in other places). 

If you're seeing map loss in your location, I still recommend calling AirBnb *after* some sensible trouble shooting - shift+ reload, check in incognito, on another device, VPN if you've got one, etc.  

I couldn't originally see the map function so I was about to be really angry about it. But I found it. When I searched for Atlanta (I have two business trips coming up) I didn't see a map, only a list of homes and experiences. I clicked on "homes" and voila! The map section reappeared.

I really wish Airbnb would not tamper with the formula. Tweaking sometimes breaks the very thing that was working for users in the first place - sigh.

Deirdre45
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

This is SO annoying I gave up looking.  I wanted a place to stay on a road trip but got fed up looking at places that were too far off my route.  Makes no sense to take this away 😞

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I have a little toggle at the top of the search page 'Show Map' which is turned off by default.

Martha-and-Dennis0
Level 6
Scottsdale, AZ

There's no way to turn the map on on my screen. Map is essential to booking a place. Google maps shows all the hotels in an area.  I guess Airbnb does not want the business.

Marvin51
Level 1
Sparta, TN

I can't spend a week planning a vacation. Some of Airbnb's listings associated with the town name that I want to stay are at least a 30 minute drive. This will backfire on Airbnb. The previous vacation-rental-site leader still has a map.  And, I've determined that simpy searching for the town name and the words "vacation rental" shows more useful info that Airbnb now provides - - very poor on Airbnb's part.

Jan552
Level 1
Beachmere, Australia

Definitely no map function how ridiculous I need accommodation in a particular neighborhood will have to use Google 

Wen19
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

It's so hard to use without a map. I've spent so much time trying to book on Airbnb and now I'm giving up. Please bring the map search feature back!

Jason782
Level 2
Cypress, TX

So, is the map search gone forever or is it coming back?  I have been using AirBnB for the last 10+/- trips, but if I can't see what is available in the areas I want, then I will just use Hotels.com

Colin233
Level 1
Tomball, TX

I used the map last year to book and *really* liked it. I needed a house on the Floriday Keys canals since we have a boat. Not having the map makes AirBnB site basically useless to me. The removal of this feature sucks.

Jan552
Level 1
Beachmere, Australia

Totally agree I don't use them anymore - try using Stayz instead