Airbnb Cancellation Host Watch out of Airbnb policy

Mayza0
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

Airbnb Cancellation Host Watch out of Airbnb policy

Airbnb just cancel a 5 weeks reservation checking in 3 weeks, worth thousands and fully refunded the guess. 

Airbnb has this so called extenuating policy that can override host cancellation policy.

Airbnb decide that host should absorb all the cost instead of travel insurance.

The case manager did not provide explanation but simply provide link to the policy. It’s very rude and not helpful. 

I have 5 weeks hole in my calendar that I have to fill. I will no longer accept long reservation due to this ridiculous policy.

Airbnb why don’t you offer guess to purchase travel policy instead of burdening host dearly with cancellation? In my case it was not just few days worth, 5 weeks. 

4 Replies 4
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Mayza0: We had a guest cancel a 2 week reservation about 2 weeks prior to arrival. It sucked but we made it a point to get the 2 weeks booked by using social media posts and really hitting the Airbnb algorithm. We adjusted our nighly price down a little, added a few new pictures, tweaked some wording in our description and made sure to visit our calendar daily. We ended up booking 10 nights out of the 2 weeks and got an extra cleaning fee since the 10 days was filled by two different guests. In the long run we probably lost $200 but that is better than losing $1500.

Thank you for the advice. I'm scrambiling to make some adjustment to fill the 5 weeks schedule. I'll try lowering the rate and as you said use social modia. At the same time, it also give me chance to evaluate other platform out there and there quite few, maybe not as popular as AirBnB and VRBO. 

Mayza0
Level 2
Bellevue, WA

I thought i post the original email from AirBnB - no explanation simply cancelled over 5 grand reservation, guess from India schedule for checking in 3 weeks.

My name is Virna, I am one of the Case Managers in Airbnb.

I tried to call you, however, it's only voiced message.

I hope this message finds you well. I’m writing on behalf of your guest Ruby, who has contacted us to inform us they will be unable to complete their reservation with you.

Extenuating circumstances sometimes come up that affect guests' travel plans. Depending on the case, a refund may be authorized outside of the reservation's cancellation policy, as explained in our Extenuating Circumstances Policy: www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320

We are currently awaiting documentation from your guest to determine if they are eligible for a full refund, in accordance with that policy. At this time, the reservation has been cancelled, we have re-opened your calendar, and we will contact you again once we have made a final decision.

In the meantime, should you choose to volunteer a refund for your guest, given the circumstances, please let us know.

All the best,
Virna

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Mayza0 Perhaps re-consider long stays in the future, like 5 weeks' for two reasons; One, many states have laws that can turn a 'guest' into a 'tenant' if they stay 28+ days or longer. Secondly, longer stays like this, have a higher built-in risk of cancellation or the host getting stuck that long a time with a less-than-stellar guest. Just a thought.