Airbnb Plus Results - Do Participants Experience Increased Revenue?

Colin-And-Christie0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb Plus Results - Do Participants Experience Increased Revenue?

I wondered if anyone has seen an increase in revenue as a result of being part of the Airbnb Plus program.

Have your bookings increased?

Have you been able to increase your average nightly rate while maintaining historical occupancy levels?

We have been part of the Plus program in Los Angeles since it launched in February. For us, listing views are tracking at roughly double pre-Plus program levels but this has not translated into increased revenue - either through increased bookings or being able to command even a slight rate premium.

Appreciate any first hand experience from other Plus participants.

61 Replies 61

I hate many things about craigslist, but I will admit that its founder isn't in it for the money grab. 

I list my rental and they don't expect me to hand over $149 to find my next tennant. They could, given that they have the entire rental market. But they are happy to help others. Now let's compare with Airbnb..

@Colin-And-Christie0 thank you for coming here to share your experience with the Plus program. So many of us have never had the chance to talk to a Plus host.

When you mention that you have not been able to command even a slight rate premium: how did you determine this? Was it just increasing the price for certain days and seeing if bookings held up?

@Matthew285 Yes, I have tried adjusting rates for certain nights upward slightly (+5-10%) but that appears to have negatively impacted booking rate. However, Plus has only been in place for less than 2 months so it is likely too early to tell what the true impact on business will be when it comes to pricing, guest type, etc. Hence, my reach out to the community for the early experiences of other Plus participants. 

This is good to read. I have a great place in Denver that is almost always booked. listed on Airbnb plus two weeks ago- Airbnb gave it a new, less appealing title and photos that are far lower quality than the original professional photos I had taken and I have had ZERO new bookings. 

Should I hang in there or should I get out of this program? 

Airbnb totally messed up how the photos represent my place and there is not a single contact person that can help me so far. I would be grateful for any and all feedback. There is nothing like investing more money into something that was already working great to find that it actually now isn't working at all. 

I have some really nice properties down in Colorado Springs.  They are approved for PLUS but Airbnb hasn't launched the PLUS program there yet.  I'm really worried because my listing isn't nearly as good as the one I created (the pictures are awful).  I just got off the phone with Airbnb (some guy in Europe).  He was absolutely no help.  Not sure what I should do.

Hi Shelley, I am in the same boat as you. I have been on plus for 2 weeks and views have gone down and no new bookings since listing. Have you had any improvements? I am thinking about opting out - we are coming up to our busy festival season so i was expecting more views and bookings.

We just received our Plus pics and description.  We’re so disappointed we’re opting out. The pics and description are just awful. I can only imagine it would lead to less reservations. 

I have had the same experience. I HATE the pictures that the "pro" photographer did of my home for the Plus program. I had better pictures before that more accurately showcased my home. I have seen NO increase in pricing for my home now that it is a Plus...I am seriously considering leaving

Hi Shelley,

I was interested to read about your photos, taken by Airbnb,  being inferior to what you had on your site originally.   I was invited to go into the Plus section and blocked off two days for their photographer to come etc.  The photos are very poor and I will not used them so are in the process of emailing Airbnb to point out the quality and the difference to what my original photos show.  It has taken me so much time to date and I feel unsure that after all this work whether I will be any better off.  When I phoned through to Airbnb, you cannot get through to the Plus division, I was recommended that I should voice my concerns through email as the person I was speaking to did not believe the photos were up to the standard they should have been.  I was offered a photographer for free if I signed up within a few days, I am now wondering if this photographer is new and they are testing the waters with him using my place as the test property.  No problem with that but I do not want to spend hours going through photos, ringing up trying to speak to someone re the photos and then having to put together an email showing the comparisons of mine photos versus theirs.  It is all a bit of a nightmare at this stage.

Hi Shelley,  I had exactly the same experience here in Cambridge NZ, was invited onto the Plus with no cost to me in fact a reward of $750 if I got all the fixes done on time.  There was only one legit fix so that was completed.  I have emailed, now three times, showing the poor photos taken along with some comparisons of my original.   I now just get a reply in minutes which is the same answer which means they will not be changing any photos etc. etc.   I am sitting on the fence at the moment pondering whether I will embarrass myself and use their photos for 4 months and see how it goes, or just decline their offer and keep the photos I love

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

Hiding deep within is the interesting nugget that Tujia (the Chinese Airbnb) manages their properties directly in order to maintain standards and provide consistency of execution.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

This is an example of a 'prestigious' Airbnb Plus listing in London - one of only 158 Entire Home listings there (out of 37000) that made it into the globally publicised 'Airbnb Plus Launch Program'. Check the (2!) reviews...

https://abnb.me/shikPc4PPL

I have the same ikea mugs in my unit ! I also wonder about egress space between the bed and wall - but that's only fire regs so we won't worry...

Whenever I look at these plus listings I'm struck but the completely different ux to the rest of Airbnb. Apple dropped the pseudo 3D icons way back, but Airbnb seems to have embraced them for the property features.

They also like to hide the map - even though that can make or break a vacation. Pimlico ain't Kensington.,.

The calendar seems booked - but who knows. 

I stayed in another apartment near this location (I rented through Ivy Lettings). It was 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a living room, book shelves, wonderful kitchen, etc. 

But this place is smaller and allows for 6 people with only one bedroom and one bathroom. That's a lot of wear and tear on that small space.
But the photos are gorgeous.

I'm more worried about the other article posted that suggests that hotels will start getting into the luxury apartment rental game. I think Airbnb for regular hosts is going to quickly evolve into something that isn't sustainable. They're looking for a new revenue model without nurturing the existing hosts.

I have an enormous apartment with three real bedrooms (not a bed and a bunch of couches and/or futons and air mattresses). But I object to being asked to pay $149. I'm already a superhost. That should be enough.