Airbnb area listings

Airbnb area listings

My hubby and I are new to Airbnb and not happy with the placement of our new property when searching for listings. 

We're in Tasmania 40 minutes from Hobart in an area called South Arm. When we, or our family, search for our property by specifically entering the area, Airbnb brings up 300 properties with only a handful in our area & yet displays 17 pages of properties which are  nowhere near our area. Many are on the other side of the river and often over 40 plus minutes away.

We feel this is most unfair because it limits our exposure in our own area, which is a unique area due to it's peaceful surroundings.

Instead Airbnb listings display properties in the hustle & bustle of suburbia which are not what South Arm is all about.

Airbnb requires owners to be accurate in their property descriptions and yet Airbnb doesn't follow their own rules. Guests looking for a property in a less populated area are not being directed towards the correct listings. If they choose an area such as South Arm you'd expect ALL the listings in that area would appear first and then others further away can be added if need be.

We have found the less expensive listings appear before the more expensive ones however not everyone is looking for price. Usually the more expensive properties are priced accordingly for a reason. 

2 Replies 2

Many guests complain about this very matter. I think it has to do with their algorithm. So, to improve your ranking you'll have to pay attention to SEO. For example, by ensuring that your calendar is up to date, their algorithm is going to view your listing as active. Here's an article that explains it much better than I can. **

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

I am new to Airbnb and when I look at the listings it names our little hamlet rather that the main city or larger area so no 9ne will have heard of our hamlet anD you can’t change the listing area?  I have tried ringing them but get n9 answer it just rings and rings? I am considering leaving and going to booking .com