Airbnb cancelled booking

James49
Level 2
Leeds, United Kingdom

Airbnb cancelled booking

I just received an email from Airbnb notifying me and the guest that they had cancelled a booking. It said:

"We monitor all reservations and user interactions on Airbnb very closely. We've noticed this reservation MX4BMQ doesn't appear to be legitimate. As a result we have cancelled the reservation and refunded the payment. If you feel this was done in error, please let us know. Otherwise we hope you understand that we do this to preserve the integrity of our marketplace."

I don't understand what this means.

Nor does it explain HOW to "let them know" if this is an error because they don't offer any kind of support by email.

What's going on?

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @James49,

Here are some ways you can contact Airbnb to find out why this was cancelled.  It does appear that they are trying to protect you.  Please return here and provide us with an update as we would love to hear what this is all about.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks. I found your article, just before you responded!

It was a slightly odd booking. The guy had booked and then cancelled quickly then bokoed again. Something about it didn't feel right.

I assume he's been accused of dodgy behaviour elsewhere, maybe?

And they've removed his profile...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/users/show/59166120

Greg-And-Rachel0
Level 2
Quezon City, Philippines

Hi James,

The same thing just happened to me.  A cancellation of a 10 day booking at the last minute. Who pays the penalty charge for cancellation at the last minute?

Can you tell us what the explanation of airbnb was?

Thanks,

Greg

They didn't give me an explanation - just said it was their security systems flagged it up as a problem.