Airbnb forces to host anonymous people? How do I know I hand keys to right person?

Marika46
Level 1
Helsinki, Finland

Airbnb forces to host anonymous people? How do I know I hand keys to right person?

Let me explain how the situation is.

I have a booking from a person who 
1. does not have a profile pic - profile pic is a painting of a boat

2. not have full name in booking - only first name. Also the full booking details only show first name.
3. whose phone number is a finnish secret number (my local number)

4. claims to be from Estonia - but still the phone number is finnish
5. booked the apartment 3 AM my local time for one day only (the time is same for him /her)
6. did not send me any other message than "hi"... and has not replied to my messages

How am I supposed to know that I am not handling keys to third person?
How am I supposed to know that I am not hosting to a fake profile?

I have no means to verify the person is actually the one that booked the apartment. 

When I sent message about this to airbnb they just replied that they will not cancel the booking. I have to take the guest (who ever it might be?). If i cancel the booking myself my ranks drop and the customer service said I could lose superhost status .

Airbnb terms same time are demanding me not to host for third person.

Any advice what to do or what to say to airbnb?

4 Replies 4
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Totally stupid. I'd message the guest asking them for their full name and then check their ID on arrival (I keep a house rule that I may ask for government ID).

Airbnb really does bend over backward for the guests with little regard to the safety of the host and their property.   😞

@Marika46   

You say 'you got a booking' – was it Instant Book?  Or did you accept it?

If Instant Book you can cancel, see their policy.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-hos....

Instant Book:   Unlimited cancellations  Hosts never have to host a reservation they’re uncomfortable with.   

Quote their policy back them,  it is their policy.   I also suggest you write to the guest and ask them to upload a Government ID and a profile photo - I have had a few guests like this who thought of Airbnb as a hotel and when made aware it is not they  immediately uploaded what I asked for.  I always remind them Airbnb is not a hotel ...   Tell them third party reservations are not accepted by Airbnb and you will need to see  ID when they arrive.  NOTE: Airbnb will not cover you for 3rd party.  You can also ask the gust questions about their  trip and if they fail to respond see link above. Make sure everything is sent as a message on your Airbnb account so you have documentation.

Andrew216
Level 5
Scotland, United Kingdom

Two choices really 
Take the money

Cancel if you feel uncomfortable.

Diana755
Level 1
Clipper Mills, CA

Airbnb contacted me and said they had a guy needing a monthly stay.  I asked them about his profile and if there are negative rev iews and they said no.  I looked and there was none.  So I took the guy in.  He was terrible the first day.  HJe put food all over the rooms, and made a big pot of couscous and kept eating from it all day.  Left it all over the stove and counter and two plates with bugs on them in two areas.  His shows were in the way, his shirt was on the floor by the dining roojm table, and he had several bottles of gallon water open and in each area.  Then he kept creeping around without making sounds and scarinng the hell out of mde.  I asked him to lock the door before going to bed and I showed him how to do it.  Then when I woke up the door was unlocked and his shoes were still laying tyhere  I put notes on everyuthing in the wrong and when I returned from church he still had turned off the internet (which I had a note stating to NOT turn off the internet) and then after I asked him to leave I went int to disinfect the room and the televisikon which is  40" Sony flat screen was busted in three places.  Shattered like he throew the remote at it several times.  He got a full refund even though he was on my calendar for two weeks.  I didn;t want him to burn my house down or kill me in my sleep.  The guy had no affect at all.  He was creepy as all get out.  Now my television is tore up and what is Airbnb going to do?  Nothing.  They are only concerned about finding this loser another place to stay.  Oh by the way, as soon as I kicked him out, the negative feedback on him showed up suddently.  I couldn't believe they would =do that to a host!  But believe me they did!  Im angry as hell.  [Content hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]