Airbnb has changed from what it initially set out to be.

Katy15
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Airbnb has changed from what it initially set out to be.

I have been hosting since 2012 and overall, my experience has been a hugely grateful and positive.  However, I have two concerns regarding Airbnb.

The first one is how I feel airbnb has changed over such a short time period.  As a traveller, my personel preference is low budget, therefore I tend to either camp or stay in Youth Hostels, having the use of a kitchen to cook my own food, is definitely a deal breaker for me.  I attempted to use Airbnb two years ago, as a guest and I found it quite confusing & quickly abandoned the idea.  

Over the four year period I have recieved many tips and suggestions from Airbnb on how I can improve the space for my guests.  I have gone above and beyond these suggestions, in order to welcome my guests with a warm heart and welcoming space.  I've bought a TV and DVD player with a selection of DVD's, a DAB radio (all second hand).  Tea and coffee making facilities in the room, I provide small gifts, sometimes wine, for guests whom stay longer than one night.  I push the boat out for breakfast, providing local fruit & bread from the farmers market and I am now making Quinoa porridge in the slow cooker and have made my own granola for guests.   This means I've had to put my prices up, otherwise I wouldn't be covering my costs.  Meanwhile, in addition to all these added extras, I'm also getting suggestions from Airbnb to reduce my rate, in order to get more people through the door.  I think the pressure to maintain a high level of standard for hosts, can be quite stressful and create the unsettling feeling of 'have I done enough?'.

Having said that, I do get some lovely reviews, which makes it worthwhile.  Not every guest leaves a review, in fact the guests that have created the most amount of work, by asking for a reduced rate or taking advantage of my generosity, were the ones that never left a review.

I now feel the standard of Airbnb is getting close to that of a hotel standard, to the point that one of my guests suggested I get a mini fridge for the room. Are these added extras a true reflection of what guests want, or do we offer guests the option of a cheaper alternantive without all the added frills?

16 Replies 16
Lynne31
Level 2
Crestline, CA

I'm new to Airbnb, but like most of you, I am offering people what I would like to receive, if I were a guest. 

That can vary greatly. My sister-in-law is budget, no frills; my sister is high maintenance. So I tend to adjust to the expectations of the guest. If they want more, I can provide it. If they want less, I can adjust, too. 

I give discounts to guests that don't want as much in extras. 

That said, I have only a couple of reviews and have barely opened the doors. 

I shifted my $$ to Airbnb's suggestions...and discovered I couldn't pay the bills, so I went back to my calculated (much higher) prices, which I based on being less than the local hotels/motels, and I have been booked at 90%...and have had to turn away some requestsn from local friends and neighbors wanting a place for friends/relatives because I was already full. But that was only my first month and I suspect it was beginner's luck. 

I'm giving it a three month try to see if it can actually pay some bills.

Thanks to all who know this business for sharing your insights. It helps.

Lynne

Erin140
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

I agree with you all completely as a host since 2014 I have seen the decline in the Consciousness and mentality of the guests that come through my door. It is rather unfortunate that we are are now being treated as hotels and what's more I have to haggle now with every potential guest over the nightly rate how many guests etc etc wow noticing that my listing is extremely easy compared to other listings. There have been many rude and selfish guests these days a reflection of our mainstream Society I suppose. I miss my old Airbnb Vibe where I had these wonderful eclectic appreciative guests coming from varied and interesting parts of the world. I even had one guest, a woman, who physically attacked me in my kitchen. Her husband intervened and was so embarrassed they left immediately.