Airbnb may add new "suite" category

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Airbnb may add new "suite" category

I posted about this on New Hosts Forum, but wanted to post about it here too -- just some news that Airbnb may add some new categories to listing types.  Currently there are only 3 listing types:   "entire home/apartment", "private room", and "shared room."  This has been problematic particularly for hosts whose listing does not actually fall into any of those categories -- for instance the "suite" setup.  In a suite, a guest may have, for their private use,  one or more bedrooms, a full or half bath, and possibly a kitchenette as well (eg, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker).  

I received a research survey from Airbnb recently which sought feedback from hosts on some new ideas for listing types -- including "guest suite", "guest room", "guest room -- separate entrance", "vacation rental" and "apartment". Among others.  So, it is possible that one or more of these new listing types will be introduced before long.  I really hope to see the "suite" category introduced as I think it would help guests find such listings much more easily. As well, it would help if hosts could check off tick boxes to indicate features of their listing -- eg a private entrance, a private full bath, a private half bath, a kitchenette, or more than one bedroom for private use of the guest/guests.  Also any private living areas such as private dining area or private patio/den or living room.  

IF guests could search specifically for listings which had certain features, such as these, it could help guests more easily and quickly find just the type of listings they were looking for. Currently, for instance, if a guest wants a private room which also has a private bathroom, they have to read each private room listing to scan to see if that is offered, since there is no way to search for private room WITH private bathroom.  This is the kind of thing that could easily be changed to benefit both guest, to find what they want more easily, and to benefit the host, who will find that the features of their listing are more easily find-able and help them stand out from other listings which don't offer those features. 

See the original post I made about this here:  https://www.airbnb.com/groups/content/content-216704

5 Replies 5
Janice1
Level 6
Tamaterau, New Zealand

@Deborah0

This sounds amazing thanks for sharing.

The "suite" option sounds ideal for my situation.  My space would be described as 2x private bedrooms - one with a sofa bed, private shower-room and balcony.  I get a lot of positive feed back around having a private space for guests alongside host interaction.  Staying in a hosts home is in fact the essense of what Airbnb is about and is the point of difference between airbnb and hotel, motel and serviced apartments.

I getting very excited.

Regards

Janice

Janice

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Yes, Janice, I am sure it will help a LOT of hosts.  Hosts have been wanting this for quite some time.  I forgot to mention this in my response to the survey, but I also think that it would help for Airbnb to have a "cottage" listing category, as some guests specifically would like and would search for cottage type rentals, eg a stand-alone unit on the same property, typically in the backyard, where the host lives.  Such cottages are sometimes only a private room (no bathroom, no kitchen) but sometimes are a full unit, or partial unit (half bath, no kitchen).  Guests like the cottage ambiance and would like being able to search specifically for that. 

Holly42
Level 3
Denver, CO

Awesome! I just posted this request on Host Voice but it looks like it is well along in the process. Thanks for helping to make it happen!

@Deborah0@Holly42@Janice1

We have a private suite with private full bath. It would be mostg helpful to us and guests who are searching the listings for that sort of acdcommodation. Thanks for getting this rolling!

Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

This would be great! Hope the suite listing comes to be.