Airbnb’s experiment in censoring pending guests’ profile pictures…

Trevor26
Level 7
Big Bend National Park, TX

Airbnb’s experiment in censoring pending guests’ profile pictures…

Fellow hosts, guests, & the Airbnb team, 

After noticing that pending guests’ profile pictures have been greyed out for a time, and after several calls and follow up with Airbnb, I have learned that this is not a glitch, but an “experiment” in which 5% of all global hosts have been enrolled to measure discrimination by censoring guests’ profile pictures.  As a Superhost on Airbnb who has been enrolled without permission or notification…I am disappointed and insulted that Airbnb doesn’t trust me to be non-discriminatory…that as a visual person who enjoys to see the way that people of any race, gender, or ethnicity choose to present themselves and the environment that they frame themselves in are now censored …that Airbnb doesn’t allow me to get to know a stranger a little bit before accepting them into my own home… it makes me feel untrusted…judged…guilty until proven innocent…creeped out (for the guest can see me, my property, and profile, while I can’t see back through that one way window).  To use the cliche “a picture speaks a thousand words”, this move, which did not take into account any feedback, permission, or consensus from hosts, really is a step in the wrong direction. Airbnb is about community and trust. To assume discrimination as a default is really insulting to those of us who are inviting diversity into our own homes. 

I have taken the Airbnb pledge to be non-discriminatory, and it is genuine. I enjoy hosting guests of all walks of life, ethnicities, preferences, etc. This should be the default assumption of all hosts until proven otherwise. 

When I myself am a guest on Airbnb, in the unlikely but possible circumstance that a host would be discriminatory against me, I’d prefer that host to have the full, unfiltered version of my profile, pictures and all, so that I could avoid being placed in a position where I would be staying in someone’s home who would be discriminatory. 

Airbnb, please unblock my guests’ profile pictures. They and I do not deserve to be censored! 

Thanks, 

-Trevor

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/457547

73 Replies 73

When we opened on Sept 1 of this year we actually put a "visual guestbook", a map of the United States on the wall so guests could pin where they are from. Within a week we had to put up a World map next to it to accommodate those from outside our country! (We had no idea Reno would be popular) We met the Super Host requirements within 2 weeks with all the business we were getting; Australia, S. Korea, China, Jerusalem (Muslims who chose to stay with Christians for 2 weeks!), The Netherlands, India, Germany, Canada, etc. The Chinese couple asked me to write a blessing in their baby book and I was given the honor of naming their first child! Who does That?! We are now penpals and have been invited to stay with them in their own home should we travel to their neck of the woods. Again, who does That?? Happy guests who had an amazing experience, that's who. 

Our family is extremely diverse; Native American, Irish, Chinese, deep South of the US, Filipino, Black, and Mexican. You can't get more colorful than That! And I'm not talking merely DNA results. If you came to Thanksgiving dinner these are the colors you would find around our table. I have yet to experience the censoring but I'd be thoroughly offended of ABB decides to doubt Our inclusivity. This whole "experiment" is Nonsense! ABB is jumping on the racism bandwagon of 'guilty until proven innocent' when they should be backin us up and not throwing us under the bus. And it all has to do with money and how much they Think they may be losing when we decline someone. Jerks come in ALL colors and as hosts, Color is the last thing we see. There needs to be a 2 way mirror between Hosts and Guests. Let Us see Their home environment as well.

The current problem lies in the fact that a guests 'peephole' is much wider than a Hosts.

Trina~

I also agree, I just received my first grayed out photo and they just joined this month (I just happened to put out a special offer).  I have had many ethnic backgrounds on my property and welcome anyone.  Just a little leary about the late booking, no photo and the reason for the visit for the guests was "just exploring"

I was leary about sending out last minute offers because last time I did that I had drug addicts, and as you can image they destroyed the room they were in.  Very frightening.  I hope this does not become the norm.;  

Ilona-Natalie0
Level 1
Bogotá, Colombia

Hi everyone, I am new to airbnb and therefore I dont fully understand everything. But to be honest, I dont find it very host friendly. I am often lost, constantly warned about, sometimes I even feel harrased with my possible loss of status if I (for whatever reason) have to cancel. 

I am/was... (not sure anymore) automatically booked without knowing. When I canceled, I got negative review and also they blocked those days automatically. I dont even know who to refer to. There is a help page with the community but I cant seem to reach someone from the organization. I am asked why I canceled, but the answer options are already given, and I often feel like I am talking to a machine... no human beings on the other side. 

I hope not to offend anyone, just would like to get some personal help. If any of you could answer my questions or give some advice on certain things, I would very much appreciate it. 

Cheers, Ilona (Bogotá)

@Ilona0,

Do not take Airbnb's admonishments personally.

They  are computer generated. It sucks and is most host unfriendly. But all hosts deal with it.

Also NEVER cancel a reservation. Make the guest cancel or call Airbnb to cancel.

Trevor26
Level 7
Big Bend National Park, TX

Again, thanks to all the hosts who have chimed in on this conversation. I hope that Airbnb's management team reads all of these testimonials. After all, they are looking for feedback in this experiment, right? I'd also like to add that censoring photos really strips away the human element that was so great about Airbnb. It no longer feels like we are interacting with other humans, but rather, computers, phones, and algorithms instead. Give us back our faces, our eye contact, our human element. Thank you. 

Mimi50
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

I am absolutely ticked that I can not see my guests prior to accepting them. If they don't  provide a photo, then I figure they have something to hide. Also, my return message button isn't working. I called and they said it is my problem,which I know it isn't. I have a Ipone 6s and I need to be able to message a request with questions. I ask for information if the guest does not provide me with any in their request or their profile. I am a single woman and I like to know who is requesting to stay in my home. It is a security issue. 

What is up Airbnb???? This stinks.

Mimi

Fully agree with you, Trevor.

Mauricio---Andy0
Level 3
Miami Beach, FL

We did not activate Instant Booking because we felt it was not suitablle for our home share experience. We enjoy the vetting process and have tweaked it over the years. Guests who take the extra time to engage us prior to booking are later rewarded with an excellent stay experience in a safe and centrally located apt, at a popular destination.

While a photo is not the only determining factor, it is a tool, one of only a few that hosts have in determining which stranger gets to stay in their lived in home.

Airbnb had good intentions, but the idea that removing a helpful tool will combat racism is foolish. Removing the tool from tried and tested hosts makes the 'study' invalid.

I got a request from a badger with goggles on for the day after Thanksgiving . I thought @ first it was a turkey. I was really confused. I told it if I get a face picture and a name of its friend and contact info , only than would I rent to them. Well he came thru and sent the info and changed his profile picture, but the longer I host the stranger people seem to me, and frankly I won't rent my home to people who I can't see who they are cause I don't care if your disabled,gay straight,transgender,white, black, green etc I want to see the real you.PS I've rented out to all the fore mentioned except green. But I would cause I don' care ,just be true to who you are! 

Thank you Trevor,

The requesting party is able to see everything about me before they initiate a request, why can't we read about them?  I am also a superhost and took the nondiscrimanatory pledge.  I have been thrilled by the many types of people who we have hosted who are very unlike us who we wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet.  This new policy or "experiment" makes me want to quit airbnb.  Maybe in my profile I should state that when they make the request, they need to give me details about them and their trip.  I feel like prying when I do ask them, before I accept their reservations.  

We do have a unique property where some aspects would not be acceptable to the picky traveler and at different times of the year, staying here can be uncomfortable.  For instance, the long walk from the parking to the rental can be icy and I like to have a discussion with the guests to inform them of the pecedillos of the property.  In one of our rentals, the stairs to the sleeping loft are steep and the treads are short - therefore not suitable for one who is wobbly on their feet.  I want families with toddlers to know that this loft is not child-proofed.

I have found that if I don't have these conversations - those are the things I get compaints or bad reviews about. 

Thank you,

amber

@Amber-and-Mike0. Just to play Devil's advocate, what role does the profile picture play?  You can discuss the specifics of your listing and the guest's purpose of the visit without having to have a profile picture, right?  You have every right to ask questions about the reason the guest wants to book with you and what their plans are.  I always ask, if for no other reason than to be sure my place is a good fit.  One guest said because they wanted to visit a landmark that was 800 miles away!

And, if you have Instant Book enabled, you can cancel penalty free if you are uncomfortable with the reservation.  

So my question is (again, playing Devil's advocate), what will a photo tell you that you can't discuss by messaging prior to accepting a reservation request?

Yes, Airbnb is trying to eliminate discrimination by preventing hosts from declining potential guests based on what they look like. 

Hi, @Clare0, @Trevor26, @Amber-and-Mike0, @Peter445, @Mauricio---Andy0... yes, this is a super-hot topic for AirBnB, and we all understand why--even if it's ultimately unrealistic... they are trying.

It's unrealistic for a lot of reasons.  We ALL judge, every day.  And there are good reasons: 

*  If someone looks like a Grizzly Bear, IS IT?  This is in our DNA because those data sets are built in to keep us alive.  On Halloween, I would perhaps discount the appearance, but would still really like to see the guy. (Oh, and it WOULD be a guy, right?)

* This is my favorite:  I want all evil people to have a hunched back, a significantly disfigured body part, and prefer a leg that drags.  THEN I WOULD KNOW!  Truth is that one of my closest life friends got polio when he was a kid and totally fits this bill.  He is also a Rabbi and one of the kindest souls on this planet. 

* It is absolutely impossible to eliminate bias, and we are inviting unknown people into our homes.  There is RISK.  And we, as hosts, can not put up a picture of some photoshopped Disney animal, right?  We ALL have to be verified.  Needs to go both ways. (Truth & Safety?)

Does 'what you look like' mean anything about who you are?  Most likely not, but if something is really tipping your scales, YOU need to be able to say that you are not comfortable and PASS. 

A badger in sunglasses?  No.

Best to all.  Great conversation. 

Kim

@Kimberly54 Now I'll take off my Devil's Advocate hat.  Instant Book hosts, while they can't see who's booking in advance since qualified guests can book instantly, are able to cancel penalty free if they are not comfortable with the reservation.  Once the reservation is booked, the profile photo is revealed (actually this is true of all reservations) and the host can cancel.  

One of the acceptable reasons an IB host can cancel penalty free is the lack of a proper profile photo. 

Seems kind of like a double standard. 

Hi @Clare0, yes, it is a double/unfair standard.

Does need to be corrected, and in time, I'm sure it will be.

Thanks for playing!

Best,

Kim

The photo never has meant much to me.  I want to read about them and see reviews from other hosts.  They get to read my reviews, why can't I read their's.  I never paid as much attention to the photos as I did reviews and how they would introduce themselves.  For instance, something like, "Hi, my husband and I have always wanted to visit your area to see the ____.  I just retired from ____ so, we're visiting your area to celebrate my retirement and our 20th anniversary.  Your place looks perfect for us because ___."  I don't get to see anything like that now.  Having people come to stay at my home is a relationship.  We live on the same property and I want to know who will be here.  I also like to read reviews to here how they treated other people's properties.  My argument was never with the photo.

thank you,

amber