Airbnb seems to have lost the plot

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

Airbnb seems to have lost the plot

How can a company that has achieved a valuation in the tens of billions of dollars -- built almost entirely by thousands of dedicated hosts who open up their homes to hundreds of thousands of guests -- treat the people responsible for their success with such disregard?

Consider the  ill-conceived changes to achieve and maintain Superhost status. The explanation given makes absolutely no sense from either a host's or guest's perspective. Airbnb has decided that Superhosts must maintain a rating HIGHER THAN THAT OF A 5-STAR HOTEL.

To put this in numerical context, if I receive nine 5-star reviews and one 3-star review from an unreasonably difficult, unappreciative guest, I may lose my Superhost status -- through no fault of my own. 

This is a drastic and unreasonable change that unfairly punishes excellent, hardworking hosts who play an essential role in making Airbnb such a successful business. 

At the very least, Airbnb needs to be very clear to guests how the rating system works. We should not lose the reward for being outstanding hosts because guests do not understand how important their ratings are.

I saw another thread in this community site about how our "voices will be heard all the way to the top of Airbnb's leadership." Well, our voices concerning this pointless change in Superhost requirements appear to have fallen on deaf ears.

To add insult to injury, our questions and concerns about the implementation of almost unattainable goals are met by indifference and empty corporate platitudes.

Then there's the issue of eliminating split payments for hosts and co-hosts. When both groups point out how disruptive this new policy is, we are given a "workaround" solution that actually forces the host to take SIX actions for each booking instead of ZERO:

1) Subtract cleaning fee from Airbnb payment for each booking 
2) Calculate the co-host's payment
3) Add those 2 sums together
4) Send payment to co-host
5) Issue 1099 to co-host
6) Issue 1099 to cleaner

My last point is the continued decline in the quality of Airbnb's customer support. In the last month I have been told the following by CSR's:

- There have been no changes made to Superhost requirements.
- The Airbnb Community website is not an official Airbnb website, therefore anything posted there by Airbnb administrators is not approved by Airbnb.
- There are no expected changes to split payments between hosts and co-hosts.

But at least we have 60- minute corporate videos that answer 6 out of 6,000 questions submitted by Airbnb hosts.

Anybody else care to weigh in? 🙃

18 Replies 18
Trees0
Level 2
Tywardreath, United Kingdom

Totally agree that the latest policy abolishing co-host payments is irritating to say the least. If it's not broken why fix it, if it is broken then fix it! I co-host two properties for an elderly couple who are not Internet savvy, and would otherwise not be able to use Airbnb. The current arrangements work well for both properties as co-host payments are instant, prompt and accurate.

At short notice before our busiest month it's decided to stop them, and instead the host has to manually work them out and pay them. In my case I will have to spend valuable time working them out and invoicing. How annoying!! 

If it's a system that has been abused then increase security! Trees

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

I just learned of yet another head-scratching decision by Airbnb that forces guests to spend far too much time answering questions in order to leave a review. 

First they tell us we need to have at least 50% of our guests leave reviews. Then they make the review process so onerous that many guests just don't even bother.

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

Add this to the list of Airbnb annoyances:

I just checked my Progress section. In angry red type, I see the message "! Please review upcoming changes"

I click the angry red type and see the following message:

"It looks like you need to work on a few areas to keep your Superhost status ..."

Under "What to work on" I have 7 trips hosted and I need 10. Duh. It's July 5 and the next evaluation isn't until Oct. 1.

That's it. 1 "area" needs to be "worked on". Not "areas". Don't you just love being treated with such warmth, appreciation and accuracy by Airbnb?  : - )

Totally agree,  and what about when a guest cancel for their own reasons and Airbnb blames you (the host) with a year of no superhost status  because a cancellation that you have nothing to do with. I think it is totally unfair and it makes no sense .

When I complained they told me is the company policy, I have to wait anothe year.

Nic-And-Stef0
Level 1
Jan Juc, Australia

I agree. The rating system makes no sense for my property also. I have now received a 3 star rating as my house in a remote bush region has no Wifi. It’s not possible to install wifi in the middle of the bush and is clearly stated on my lysting. I have a spa, hotel linen, champagne & wildlife & mountain views but no wifi is giving me 3 stars. Sort this out Air BnB. Not happy! 

Nicholas198
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I agree with the sentiments expressed here. The rating system is getting onerous and less helpful for hosts and guests.

Maybe a 3-star system of, say, would not stay again, possibly stay again if something else not available and definitely would stay again. The difference between 4 and 5 star in reality, is negligible for a guest but makes all the difference to a host. I've taken to my good bye message having a sentence, stating hopefully everything was 5-star for the guests stay. Don't want to have to state it explicity but AirBnB makes the 5-star so important for hosts but guests do not understand the importance nor difference.

Low ratings, especially on super host properties should require an explanation of some high number of characters. This would eliminate the whimsical low rating or the time wasting guest or host. 

Also the location rating is absurd. When booking, one sees the approximate location of the property. How can the location be otherwise judged if you know the location, the centrality of that location and this compared against the cost? One chooses the location based on the map and (optional) location description but then the guest gets to choose a star rating? The property is where it is or it isn't, no?This doesn't make sense. 

My issue is the “suggested rate” note that does not factor in specific premium location and amenities. Why should an A-plus location by presented with sub-premium locations where the first qualifier is price! A water view from 2 miles is not the same as 200 feet!

I have the same issue regarding being rated on my location. My location is clearly described in the listing and yet I occassionally get downgraded because every now and then a guest doesn't have a car or bicycle and wishes it were somewhere else.  Not My Problem!!

Tolga1
Level 2
New York, NY

Amen Peter, you hit the nail on the head!

I would also argue that the current 5-star ratings system is punitive to certain listings, like ours or the folks in the Bush who can't get wi-fi.  We have a rustic cabin in the woods.  We get 3 or 4 star reviews on cleanliness because people saw bugs.  I mean we're in the woods.  Our cleanliness is impeccable, but a rustic log cabin is not going to be clean the same way your local Marriott with tiled kitchenette or bathroom can be.  I mean does a yurt with a dirt floor get rated by some of these brilliant guests as dirty?  I bet they do.  It's a bad one-size-fits all system that doesn't account for uniqueness factor of a place, or challenges specific to a building type or location (which is another rating I don't think is fair, i.e. location, also punitive and wishy washy based on some stranger's expectations).

Just my 2cents!

Kim635
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Kim635
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Hi all,

I am fairly new to Airbnb, about 1-2 years now and previously without a hitch.

I agree with all the comments on the star rating.  I recently had a review where for individual items I received  3x 5 stars and 3x 4 stars, yet the overall rating given was 3 stars, to me this difies logic.  To maintain a 5 star rating seems impossible, there will always be someone with something to complain about no matter how hard you try.

My current gripe, is I recently had guests who left my place in a shambles.  No damage to property but rubbish everywhere, stains on furniture, cooked food left in the oven, all the heaters and lights had been left on etc etc.  The cleaners advised it took them additional time to clean the place ready for the next guests.  When I requested additional money from the guest, she refused, when I escalated to Airbnb, they advised she didn't need to pay and the matter was closed.

Any suggestions for how to avoid this?  Thanks.

Include your cleaning expectations in your house rules with a note that you will be charged extra if you leave the place in shambles, that should at least help you retrieve the additional money from the guest when you escalate it to airbnb. 

Helen505
Level 2
London, Canada

Location rating is a real head scratcher. What am I supposed to do, move my property? They knew what they booked when they booked it and upon showing up are affended that I am not in the ritzy part of town. My units are top notch but I am in the working class side of the city within walking distance to everything one would need but constantly get 4 star on Location. My best can never be good enough that way

Exactly. It is absurd to rate location in this manner.