Airbnb trying to take future earnings

Airbnb trying to take future earnings

Hi, Airbnb community, I had a serious issue with Airbnb Philippines this week.

I had a Filapino guest who had booked for 1 year. She started complaining from the day she arrived. We did everything to meet her requests. ie hired an additional cleaner a few days after she arrived, to clean while she was there.

After staying for 3 months (she settled down after the first few weeks), she all of a sudden said she wanted to leave the next day (12hs later), I informed her that long term policy meant she has to pay one month cancellation fee (ie so she can stay one month extra or leave, it’s up to her. 

I then get a message from Airbnb, saying they are aware of the situation and will consider refunding her. I said do not do that, she has stayed for 3 months, and the departure is sudden. 

I also noted she is probably working as a hostess in another area of Tokyo, and that’s possible reason for her departure. The reason I suspect this is the previous gust was also Filipino, and she informed me that she was a hostess in Otsuka, she, after a short period working  did the same thing (suddenly exit / demand money) . The new guest was also Filipino, home all day out at night. 

So Airbnb Philippines called me, and in a rude manner, she says the guest does not have to pay the additional month, because there is a modification policy (which is untrue), she then almost immediately modified the booking to 90 days without penalty. 

I was unhappy to miss the month, but after inspecting the room, I said ok, just forget it, as bad experience,

The next day Airbnb Philippines sends another message saying after reviewing documents, she will refund the guest 50% of her money and take it out of my future bookings (and I now have a negative waiting to be paid.

After this I got extremely angry and called many different Airbnb offices. Initially Airbnb US said the issue will be transferred to a different office, but it never was. 

Finally I reached a very kind, helpful, and intelligent Airbnb staff in San Francisco,  Shawntell,

She kingly reviewed the documents sent by the gust and agreed the room was clean upon arrival (according to the guests own photos), and she refunded me the one month cancellation fee the guest  should have paid.

This still leaves me with the 50% of past payment Airbnb Philippines wants to transfer to the guest from my future earning.

They clearly showed bias to her because she is Filipino, and did not even ask me for any documentation or my opinion.

lastly the guest had continuity mad anti Semitic remarks when I can to the place to try and remedy the situation. She said because I am Jewish (which is not common in Japan) I am cheap ect..

a bad person ect.. 

So this exasperated my desire not have my funds diverted to her, it actually outraged me that Liz at Airbnb Philippines was following the same behavior.

Sorry for the long message, what can I do to prevent this girl obtaining my funds, I can’t sleep it’s very stressful.

24 Replies 24

You are not alone, there are many similar stories on this forum.

I would like to expose this group in the wider media, 

thanks 

I’ve dealt wit’s Airbnb US/UK / Japan, and they are always professional and balanced, but I think they do not understand south east Asia have very strong bias, especially when in their own countries, so having a main office in Manila/ or Jakarta, is very different to say China / Vietnam or India, where they a pluralistic and secular.  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Trying to make sense of this...

So this guest booked for 12 months

You were paid monthly for months 1, 2 & 3

but then after 3 months the guest decided to leave

the first CS said guest could leave without paying for the 4th month (reserved but didn't stay)

But then another CS said that you would need to refund the guest 50% of months 1,2,3

and then a third CS said that you would be paid for month 4

This is confusing.

So, your guest stayed for about 90 days and you were paid essentially the rate for 75 days (so you've lost payment for 15 days of her stay and also didn't receive any penalty fee for her change of plans)

Sounds all a little crazy & confusing. Not sure how much better you can get this to work out, but I'd keep working at it if it were me. As a takeaway, ABB may not be a good source for 12 month rentals and this guest sounds like one that you can be glad that they have checked out. Good luck going forward.

Hi,

yes she booked for 12 month, under a long term policy that requires one month notice in the case of cancellation.

she stayed 3 months (paying monthly for 3 months ), then after leaving 

1) Airbnb refused to give me the 1 month notice money, 

2) they automatically refunded her 50% of her 3 month money (so she ended up only paying for 1.5 month) 

for no major reason. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Progress-Place-Edogawa-M0

That Airbnb returned 50% of a 3-month completed stay is so wrong.

She stayed, she should pay. 

It's weird, because this is not in Airbnb's interest.

"Scam Here, Stay Free" is not the sign they should be putting on their website.

If Airbnb gives away our money, Airbnb will waste alot of time sorting through more and more scams.

The upshot is Airbnb is good for SHORT-TERM renting. They do not want long-term rentals (even though they'll gladly take the money. Don't rent LONG-TERM with Airbnb.

Hi,

yes I was shocked,  they wanted to claw back (she could have left on the first day / week) then I understand some negotiation, the amount would be small), but surprising after 3 months means by her actions she has shown acceptance, she has no claim. 

Ie offer : acceptance / consideration (3 payments) the contract is complete, 

Hi, I want to thank Shawntell and Evelyn for all their help in decifering this difficult situation and resolving it honestly and fairly. It’s always difficult to know what the actual situation is and they worked hard to find a just solution, so after initial strsss caused by the tenant, I am very satisfied with Airbnb solution,