Airbnb withdrawing more than agreed sum?

Amy429
Level 1
Bogota, Colombia

Airbnb withdrawing more than agreed sum?

I've googled this but can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I paid for a stay with my debit card. For argument's sake, let's say the stay was $2000+$200 in fees, a total of $2200. All agreed upon between me and host, who invoiced me the original sum by special offer.

However, looking at my bank statement, $3000 has been withdrawn! Has this happened to anyone else? It's all in the same currency so I have no idea what is going on. It is a longer stay so I wondered if it is a deposit, but wouldn't Airbnb have warned me about any deposit? I've contacted Airbnb, but I'm trying to anticipate what is going on...

Thanks

3 Replies 3
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Amy429

A breakdown of what you have paid for will be on your booking confirmation. I can't think of any reason the price would jump up so much, Its not a security deposit.

Could you put a link to the listing you booked, we might see something you missed.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Amy429

Have you called Airbnb to ask them why this has happened. If not give them a call now.

We are a community forum of hosts and guests not monitored by Airbnb so can't really help with financial and technical issues I'm afraid.

Amy429
Level 1
Bogota, Colombia

OK so this is what is happening now:

Airbnb are insisting that they only charged me $2200, which is what is on the booking confirmation. However, $3000 definitely went out of my account.

The host knows nothing about it, but they did tick the "security claim" option or whatever it is. 

No idea what is going on.