All things Architecture...

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

All things Architecture...

architecture.jpg

Hi all,

As I wander around London, I often find myself marvelling at the wide variety of architectual styles on show - there are Brutalist 60s appartment blocks alongside Victorian mansions, Art Nouveau theatres next to Gothic churches. And London is not alone - I'm sure it's quite hard to find a town or city which has just one uniform style!

We spend quite a lot of time discussing the inside of our homes and their interior design, but what about the buildings themselves? When buying your property, what about its architecture attracted you? Which styles do you particularly like - are you more Art Nouveau than Modern or more Gothic than Renaissance?

I have to say, it's pretty hard to choose one particular style I prefer... My current flat is in a red brick Victorian building which I love but I find Art Nouveau buildings really interesting!

I'm looking forward to hearing your views!

Kirstie

49 Replies 49

Thanks for the compliments @Dieneke0. I love your house and wow! Those timber floors...wonderful. What I love about your house is that it feels warm and comforting even through the photos. 

@David-and-Fiona0  Thank you for the kind words. Yes wood does reflect warmth. I also like the fact that the flat is very light - east -west location and windows at all sights, so light is coming in all the time. There is something to say for Feng Shui, - your house is so magestic and its location is so amazing and stunning. It also must be very light.

@David-and-Fiona0

WOW!!  that is amazingly beautiful. I know a few people in Philipines. I will ask them to stay in your beautiful home. Great job!! 

wow the pictures are all stunning @Kirstie and @David-and-Fiona0 ! Thanks for sharing.

When I first visited Berlin after many many years walking through the former border-line - a lot of architecture happened there.

Do you see the "Washing machine"?

IMG-20150913-WA0003.jpg

Viele Grüsse,

Claudia

Outdoor and Relax in Black Forest

@Claudia2, I don't see a washing machine, but the building looks friendly, with all the rounded forms. 

Whilst @Kirstie's hanging path between buildings is a bit menacing, when you look up. 

I did not get the first mail notifications, only the second one - logged in by curiosity, what a mail without text is about. Good trick!

I grew up in a house built in 1448, therefore I like old buildings for living (if there is Internet). But in the city, I like the mixture of old and new. We just got a new cinema a few steps from my place. It's in front of a big old church, style cathedral, and between old apartment buildings. To construct a new cinema there, was a challenge. They could not go much higher, but they wanted more space inside - during construction, it was visible, that they stacked the theater rooms one over another inclined, not wasting the space under the rows of chairs. Those things are hard to plan entirely: the ground under Paris is like a Swiss cheese, as the town is built with stones dug out from under its feet. When they removed the old cinema, the buildings on the left and the right started to lean towards the now empty space, the ground was giving a bit. It took a few months to replan, to build in steps: first the side walls, then some of the structure between, then take out the ribs of the old building and finish sides and structure as you go. 

The front was glass at a time during construction, which looked cool, but in the end, it's a huge led screen.  I took a few pictures over time, some are on my listing too. Normally, the screen shows cinéma posters, the national colors were flashing on the day of the Nice attacks - an effective way to alert people that something is going on, and to show solidarity. 

1770dd12-c316-4614-9ec5-b0f6630ad1f1.jpge271d774-4a47-4279-93f7-d877413a7765.jpgIMG_7411.jpg

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

HI @Helga0,

I'm glad you got notified about the second tag! We've worked out now why people weren't receiving notifications from our group tags so hopefully you'll always receive them from now on!

Ha yes the picture in my first post is quite ominous! I like the way the walkway reflects on the windows to create a zigzag effect. In London we're pretty spoilt for choice of impressive skyscrapers:

The Gherkin is named due its '3D oval' shape - it's pretty impressive and visible across much of London! I love the diamond shaped windows and the swirl design:

Gherkin.jpg

I noticed this angular building when walking around London one day - it messes with your mind a little bit with the windows at different angles to the top!

Angular.jpg

They're doing some interesting regneration projects around the city - they are even converting old gasholders next to the canal by Kings Cross to appartment blocks!

Gas ring.jpg

Wow a building from 1448 is pretty old @Helga0! That's amazing it's survived for so long. I love the uniform Haussmann style buildings around Paris - they give the city its Parisian charm that you don't find anywhere else :). That cinema near your house is a very interesting modern building - it makes such a contrast to the old building next to it, but in a good way I think!

Kirstie

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Claudia2,

Berlin has some great architecture doesn't it?! I don't know the 'washing machine' - it's an interesting shape! What happens in there? Is it offices?

Kirstie

Michelle391
Level 2
Bonita, CA

balboa-park.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Lovely photo @Michelle391, would you be able to tell us a little about this building please, it looks very impressive. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi there, 

This is called the Botanical Building & Lily Pond, main entrance & gardens in the Balboa Park, San Diego.  The first exposition had created a big boost in the further development of San Diego. It is another World's Fair was undertaken to promote San Diego and create economic opportunities during the Great Depression. During the World Wars II, many building left over and were not build to be permanent, the city government wanted to tear them down.  However, the San Diego Citizens were able to prevent  their destruction and had them renovated or reconstructed.  Thus, in 1977 Balboa Park and its exposition architecture were declated a National Historic Landmark and added to the National Register of Historic Places. 

balboa-park.jpg

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is really interesting @Michelle391, thanks for sharing a little more about this wonderful building. It would have been awful if this building had been pulled down, it looks such a relaxing place to spend time. 

Have you seen this @Dev4@Helga0@Dieneke0@Claudia2@David-and-Fiona0@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Andrea9@Lawrene0?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Here's a great example of classical-meets-modern architecture in Amsterdam:

The glass brick house facade of the Chanel flagship store. Won several architecture design awards and has become quite famouse in different circles:

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 00.03.35.png

It's hard to photograph, but there are lots of pics online - just google 'glass (or crystal) brick house Channel Amsterdam'.

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrea9  being Dutch myself I might be biased but I love the Dutch architecture. Particularly how modernism never has gone away and always is reinvented.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dieneke0 yes, exactly! Actually I'm not Dutch, but have embraced this country with arms wide open, and one of the things I really loved is how Dutch Design so often has a cheeky side to it I hardly ever see elsewhere. And it always joyfully surprises me what they create with very few elements, but to-the point and out-of-the-box thinking.

Dieneke0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Andrea9 well yes where to start. The building I really like is the Markethall in Rotterdam by MVRDV. See the picture. Also, for product design I love MOOOI. Brilliant.

MarketHallRotterdam16Oct15_sml.jpg