An awful hosting experience

Vicky20
Level 1
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

An awful hosting experience

Hi all, 

I host a 2 bedroom apartment in one of the town in the UK. I have hosted a group of guest who they said they ar a casting crew and on their work needed 5 nights in the apartment. Cut it short, they even requested to view the apartment before reservation which i made an extra mile to meet them up and show them around. The reservation then are booked and confirmed after. 

On the meet up, the booker/contactor/ guest promised they will keep the apartment tidy and nert and clean of course. And he said it might even in a better status on their departure. 

What happened when they check-out: 

1. Dirt marks on carpet

2. Over 20 marks on painted white wall 

3. Damaged furniture

4. 5 days worth of rubbish LEFT inside the apartment. PLUS rubbish on the floor everywhere. 

5. ALL plates, cups, cultery, glasses ARE UN-WASHED and built up. 

6. Fridge was FULL of un-wanted food. 

7. Food/Rubbish left in the sink. 

8. Large furniture they bought to the flat and just left there and i have to remove it myself. 

9. They even moved my SOLID WOODEN DOUBLE bed elsewhere which my 50s cleaner cannot be lift or move it back. And i have guests checking in the same afternoon ! She has to call me for help which i had to leave work early having a half day off. 

10. Drinks / spillages marks on sofa 

11. They even have the time to un-do my 'L' Sharp sofa which if you have to lift it up and knock them back together hence my cleaner will have no way to lift it up herself. 

12. biscuits crumbs / nuts/ small piece food everywhere 

13. Broken door lock 

14. Cracked wall socket blacket

This is the worst hosting experience i had since hosting for 2 years. I was crying when walking in the apartment. Very disgraceful / unrespecting human being i had and i am so regret that i had them around. 

They even have the gut to say that the dirt mark on the carpet wasn't caused by them as they took their shoes off in the apartemnt. I have to say if they have the manner to keep dirts away from other people's property, i will not have to share this here. 

A very disappointed host.

** i have tried to upload pictures but it doesn't seem to work or allowed. 

2 Replies 2
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi Vicky,

I'm so sorry to hear this, it sounds absolutely awful! It also sounds like the guests booked your place to have a party or two...

When did the guest check-out? if within the last 48 hours then I would suggest you contact Airbnb ASAP to open a claim against their deposit. You will need to provide evidence which you have lots of pictures and also some quotes. It is unfortunate your deposit is only for £100 as there is a lot more damage, you might be able to submit a host guarantee claim for additional cost; you would need to do this within 7 days of the guest checking out and before the next guest checks in. In addition you might need to get a police crime reference if the amount you wish to claim is more than $300. I’ll add here, that there is a small possibility that Airbnb will have issues with the fact that you were communicating off the Airbnb platform prior to the booking albeit the booking eventually occurred via the platform. It is against Airbnb policy to exchange personal details prior to a confirmed booking including address.

Some of the details listed in the breakdown i.e., rubbish, crumbs, fridge full of unwanted food, you will just have to clean up but the damages, that's what you need to claim.

Ensure that you leave a detailed review as well, not only will it inform other host of potential problems it will make it harder for them to book accommodation in the future. For now inform the guest of your intention to report them to Airbnb and make a claim; it is vital that al communication between yourself and the host is done via the Airbnb mail as other forms of communication including, texts, WhatsApp, personal mail is not acceptable evidence to Airbnb.

I would suggest you add to your house rules that the property is not suitable for events or parties, in particular for both properties which are entirely let. 

An additional point slightly off the topic, I noticed that your listing ‘2 bed Flat 1 min to train & central’, has a security deposit of £100 yet you state in the rules that if there is a blockage due to misuse the cost of a plumber will be deducted from the guest's deposit to the value of £115, this is £15 more than your security deposit so you need to amend one or the other as you can't ask for more than the deposit.

I hope this gets sorted out soon and that you do not lose any bookings as a result.

All the best,

Ama

Waundell0
Level 4
New York, NY

NEVER rent to a casting crew, film crew or any other such thing unless you have a studio that's suited for those purposes. 

NEVER meet up with anyone to view your place prior to booking.

These are high signs that someone is going to damage your property.

If you weren't staying in the apartment while these people were there that is another problem. It appears to be more risky to rent space where you do not live yourself. 

Add clauses to your profile like cleaning fees and additional people rates. That usually sends those types away as they want to camp out in a space for dirt cheap. Once the fees start adding up they will go somewhere else.