Are all cities seasonal and what do you do when it's quiet?

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Are all cities seasonal and what do you do when it's quiet?

I am keen to hear from other hosts if they have obvious "dead" months and what they do during these times. I am on the Gold Coast in Australia which is a tourist destination pretty much all year round. This current month of May is the worst month I have seen after nearly 2 years hosting.

Apart from slashing the price to almost free, I would love to hear what other hosts do to keep some sort of revenue topping up the bank account. I am happy to put in extra hours, research or learn a new skill, but am looking specifically for things that will be inexpensive and generate dollars. (I quite my full time job November last year to run my 2 listings and have been doing okay. It's actually a little scary right now though)

Cheers in advance.

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Now is usually my quitest time but I have been ticking over, not much for the rest of the month. I originally was going to snooze my listing and deal with some issues in the common areas but have been working in another part of the building.

October/November is the other time, but that is Hunting season and last opportunity to get wood in for the winter.

David
Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

I guess it must just me having a quiet patch.

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

According to this site: https://www.shermanstravel.com/australia/australias-gold-coast/when-to-go looks like you are going into off-season. So either have to cut prices and chase the bargain hunters or close-up to take care of maintaince, etc.

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

@Scott80

Cheers for that. It is always interesting to see the tips travellers are seeing about this awesome location.

Hopefully lots of international guests read this and start booking right away. I have had an average occupancy of about 17% this month.