Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

Tara1
Level 3
Ann Arbor, MI

Are guests becoming more disrespectful?

This might be crazy, but I have noticed guests becoming more disrespectful over the years and I'm wondering if other hosts have seen the same.

I have hosted my home on Airbnb for 3 years. I have had over 60 bookings. I have always raved about how respectful my guests have been until the past few months. I have had some very bad experiences.  I'm wondering - as Airbnb is becoming more popular, are we getting more people on the platform who are treating our homes like hotels?  We rent our personal home so I am worried about continuing to list on the site if this keeps happening. 

94 Replies 94
Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

I second the opinion that low prices attract low quality guests. It is also true that is going mainstream - just like FB gets a variety of people so is FB - and now I get all kind of guests. Many of them are first timers and dont bother to read the description. I have to repeat to the that I have a cat fearing that they are allergic. Some people book 1 but they show up with someone etc. initially when it started if was mostly the millenials that have embraced it. now it's mostly everybody. and many dont understand how it functions, the review mechanism and they expect hotel quality and us to be available 24/7 and demand the sky from us. I think im getting better at sensing "trouble".

I recently had a problem with a host. He made a reservation for only one person and arrived with his girlfriend. I went to ask if it was for two people and he said yes. I questioned that he had only booked for a guest. And covered by the second. Then 3 hours later he left my house, saying that he heard a disagreement between us. He put in the comments that I did not want the second guest. Which was not true and Airbnb lowered my rating because he gave a low grade for everything. And I did my best to receive it. I'm sad till now.

I've had a couple of bad reviews too lately that same self absorbed and awful communication experience.

As a newcomer to Airbnb (but not hosting) I have found guests to be polite and pleasant - so far - but I did have a guest arrive with her mother and had only booked for 1. She was an experienced guest so must have known what she was doing.

I told them they would have to pay £30 (would have been £20 extra for a second guest if booked at the time). They were not happy and went out after dropping off their luggage and obviously decided to go thru Airbnb so it then cost them £34 to change the booking!

I allow use of microwave, fridge, kettle etc. but food must not be taken to the room.

I provide cheap accommodation and promise no frills or extras and I am constantly booked up.

I have so far enjoyed the experience and will carry on hosting as long as I enjoy it.

Márcio, next time you have this issue of 1 booked and 2 showed up (happens to me a LOT), go to the resolution center and ask for the extra person's charge. AirBnB will get the money AFTER you hosted.

@Marcio46

I am going to jump on your "I questioned that he had only booked for one."

Hopefully, you misspoke.

Do NOT question, shame or lecture your guest. There is no need.

Just say, "I'll send you a number of guest change. Please accept"

Say it in a neutral way, as if you are doing them a favor.

This way, no one loses face.

Just don't be so upset, please ! 

@Adriana, Marcio, @Andrew773: Consider making your price for you place - 'for first two' - guests and then charge for extra guests after two, it will help you a lot of hassles.

Thank you for your advice Fred but most of our guests have been 1 person so I don't think they would pay the £55 for 1 night. However if it happens again I will certainly consider your suggestion,

Thanks, Andrew

Pilar1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm not sure I agree with Fred's advice either. Maybe because I have been a solo traveler myself I am one of the few (I think) that also prefers pricing the room I offer for individual travelers as otherwise they are unfairly penalized and less likely to book. 

It all depends on the % of solo traveler's versus those that travel in pairs in one's listing. With some listings catering mostly to singles, of course it makes no sense, but they may indeed be the exception and IF so, best to make your price structure 'for two' for it saves a LOT of hassles. In 4 years I have had ~1~ single guest (1/400). I said ~consider~, not do, just consider.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tara1

You are right the 'quality' of guests we are getting does seem to be slipping but, I do think it was inevitable.

A few years ago Airbnb was something of a curiosity, it was seen as great alternative by those who wanted something other than the hotel environment. And in the main, those who used it were surprised and happy with what they got.....the message spread!

With its growth, Airbnb have now come to the notice of almost all travellers and subconsciously the reaction has become....."This lot must be pretty good, so many people use them"...and the guest builds up an expectation in their mind that might not be matched with the reality!!

We are being treated with less respect but it had to happen, years ago we catered for a particulary market, now we cater for everyone....the chance of poor guests is much higher.

Cheers......Rob

But AirBnB rating system is not fair. My service remains consistent (as more than 20 raving guest reviews) but my star rating now dropped to 4.6 and AirBnB message to me is my service has slipped below average. Why? 2 lot of bad guests. so much for statistics, AirBnB. 

@Tara1 In all fairness we are way too new in hosting here at Airbnb to comment on this topic correctly, but my little experience in hospitality has taught me that this is a very natural supply and demand curve for any business. Lot's of topic on community reflect the very same concept. As said above by @Ute42 & @Robin4 and many others that yes may be the guests today are becoming more demanding, challenging to please and may be even rude in some cases because as the supply for such vacational rentals increase tremendously so have the quality of the product ( rooms and housing facility in this case) and along with it grows the awareness of choice to the end user ( our very dear GUESTS )has. I am not saying that these so called GUESTS are correct and right to be so, but I am myself trying to understand the reason for such behaviour. 

We have a certain georaphical clientele, and to cater to them we have done some cultural study to understand them better, so that we do not get too disappointed. Initially it was disheartening to have such brash guests after putting our heart and sole, but after a little clarity on the culture part of this set of clientele made us more at ease.

But one thing is for sure Human element of one of the most challenging aspect to manage of any business and job.

I noticed the same thing! WHY? Could it be they are giving too much advantages to the guests and its the poor hosts that gets the lower end of the deal!