Are we creating our own problem with Reviews?

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

Are we creating our own problem with Reviews?

I have read with great interest posts from hosts all over about the rating/review system, yes it needs fixing and it is skewed to allow the guests to nit pick.

I have also wondered if we have created our own problem.

I look at many listings and think, they are beautiful rooms/apartments, who wouldn't want to go stay in them. They are what I will call over the top listings. We have all gone to a lot of trouble to create warm and welcoming spaces to share with travellers, but do the travellers really appreciate what you have created for them? Some do apparently, and give your glowing reviews, but many do not.

I also look at the rates you are choosing to ask for a stay in the beautiful spaces, and again I am wondering why you are under rating your space and service. In some locations this ends up being a pricing war spiralling downwards.

Lets get back to basics - Airbnb was created by some young people desperate to raise the rent money for the next week and they indentified an opportunity because there was a need during that particular week for places to stay. "Air beds on the floor with a basic breakfast" we have moved a long way from those beginings.

Therefore we have created guest expectations of "luxury for less", when actually we should have gone the other way "Private luxury for more". You, the guest, get to stay in some fantastic locations around the world, in someone elses home, and in some cases have that host at your bec and call, (like a butler!) and you don't think you should pay for the priviledge.

Many guests do not understand, the concept of Airbnb, and become a demanding guest, like they were in an hotel. Expecting pillow selections, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary luxury toiletries, fresh flowers, chocolates, wine, gourmet breakfasts, and the list goes on. Then the host is quivering in his boots because he does not want a bad review and if he doesn't supply these things the guests will not be happy.  STOP this syndrome please.

Hosts please ask yourselves, Am I under valuing my service? Truly answer.

Airbnb ask yourselves, Are we being fair to the hosts with the current review system?

17 Replies 17
Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

@Pauline106 so pleased you have learned from our collective experience.

Yes don't be affraid to price your product to make a profit.

Yvonne16
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I stopped doing breakfast about a year ago for similar reasons and haven't noticed a downtown in guests. Also I've complained in the past that the elaborate review structure (smells etc) tips the feedback loop in favour of the guest and gives nigglers the chance to complain. Alas, no response from airbnb. I've been doing this for almost 6 years and have noticed a consistent decline in their assistance in that time.  Make it work for you Pauline. Charge more, stop doing breakfast, ask for a minimum of 2 nights or a surcharge if just one night.

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

I find the attitude of many airbnb guests is one of "Airbnb should be a cheap place to stay and the host is supufluous to my needs".

Example;

I recently had a young couple come to stay for a week. I did all the right things, went out of my way to be home when they checked in - so did the friendly meet and greet thing. Offered them a drink (tea, coffee, water) had a chat about what they were going to do while staying etc etc.

They excused themselves after about 30-40 minutes  at 3pm, and headed off to the bedroom. They didn't surface again till about 7pm. Had a shower, made a snack with some of my food from the fridge and headed back to the bedroom.... Next morning  I'm up and about expecting to see the guests bouncing around ( they were obvously well rested by now) but no. I went out and came back from the market about 12:30pm....they are just getting out of the bedroom again!.

I came to the conclusion they didn't need a host around at all, I started to get the picture of why they were here for a week. I felt uncomfortable in my home so went away for the rest of the week. My caretaker who was living under my house gave me reports of arguing and unfriendliness and very untidy in the kitchen which he cleaned up...he too left them alone. They didn't leave a review and I didn't bother either.

This is not the first time this has happened.