Arrival instructions

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Arrival instructions

Anyone else have guests constantly struggle with the arrival instructions? Every so often I will receive a guest who cant find my address or one who can't figure out the gate code. Of course it happens that they are usually guests who are arriving at 2am and Im not sure what it is, but they seem to overthink the whole situation. Today a guest gets dropped off by a taxi at my complex gates and he trys the wrong  key pad and then he proceeds to walk a full mile away from my complex because that key pad doesnt work. I'm not sure why guests are drawn to one key pad over another, but at my gate there is a small hidden key pad attached to a pedestrian gate on the left which has 5 buttons going up and down with numbers from 1-5 and the other is the full telephone key pad that is big as day for the whole world to see attached to a metal box that drivers use. Its so interesting in hindsight to notice how many guests have had no issues arriving and then the one-off person who make me happy I sleep light and decided to wait up for them.

I have clarified my arrival instructions, which are growing in length, and now send pictures. Hurray for that updated feature.

4 Replies 4
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I normally send them a document with arrival instructions before they leave home complete with photos and google map screen shots and links as well as written walking instructions describing useful landmarks. This seems to work for 90% of the arrivals. The young crowd use the google map link and the less computer savvy follow the paper map. Some are just clueless whatever you do.

I suppose for you there is a challenge as to how early you can reveal the lockbox code.  

@Marit-Anne0

I am also careful to re-give instructions to my guests. In order to get here, there are 2 locked gates with combination keypads. GPS systems do not work here, because we are off the grid, and they try to take people down roads that don't exist, have been closed off for decades, or were never finished and do not go through. Our house is on top of a mountain, and our driveway takes off precisely one mile from the first gate. GPS does not understand topography, so if it is woeking and a guest follows it, they will end up down a bad road from our gate,  about 600' down below our house, at a neighbors chicken coop, with the chickens looking amused at them.

I am very careful to be explicit about ditching the GPS and using the mileage. Most people pay attention, some do not, and come here with an amused smile and say that they met the chickens.

I remind them again before they come, and give them a code word to tell me. I include a sense of humor in the instructions, and a way for people to not lose face if they goof it up. Regardless, they get a warm welcome at arrival. They made it.

I feel like the well-traveled people learn to read directions and instructions at least twice BEFORE arriving, especially when the host has taken the time to write them.  If someone has ever traveled abroad to Milan or Paris, they'll understand that not every hotel is located on a major street that GPS can find.

@Marit-Anne0Thanks so much for your response. You are correct- some people are just clueless no matter what I do. lol. Ive added that the guest MUST read the instructions BEFORE arriving and that has helped considerably. At one point many guests were arriving not realizing they had to enter a code to get in although I had sent it weeks ago. It was irritating to have to excuse myself from work to tell them everything that I had written in the message.