Asking a longstay guest to leave

Cherrill0
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Asking a longstay guest to leave

We have a guest who has booked for a month. She arrived a week ago and was great until tonight when she appeared downstairs after dinner half dressed and completely drunk.

She has been smoking in her room which is against the "house rules" and was so drunk she didn't know who I was or the other lodger. 

My daughter is visiting for the night and we have another lodger. What are the rules here? I am concerned as I don't want my house trashed and she has a key to the front door. I'm also concerned as I don't want to upset my other lodger and if this had happened last night or next week we have other air bnb guests booked so potentially it could be a huge nightmare!

I am unsure if she had taken something as she seemed fine at dinner an hour earlier.  Plus I have to be up at 6am for work and I'm lay here at 11.15 wide awake stressed, and I have to leave her in my house while I'm out all day tomorrow working. ..please someone help

5 Replies 5

@Cherrill0    You say she broke your "house rules" I think you can ask her to leave without penalty.  I would contact Airbnb and see if they can find her smewhere else.  Twitter and FB seem to get best and quickest reponses. Good luck!

Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

She has a key to the front door....  Take it back, and show her the door.  Contact AirBnB Immediately and let them know that you've got a problem that needs to leave.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cherrill0  If the guest is as drunk as you describe, I think you might create a greater problem taking steps to remove her now.  She could react in a way to cause great physical damage or harm to herself or someone else.  I suggest you call Air BNB requesting cancellation and relocating due to the smoking and the drunkeness.  After Air BNB is alerted, send a message via Air BNB messaging explaining why you are telling her she has to leave.  You may have to stay home from work to be able to execute this plan in the morning when the guest is no longer drunk.  Let us know how it works out for you.  Good luck!

Nicholas71
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I had a similar problem too.

Can  we  still get the money from the guests booking if they break the rules and we ask them to leave?  

Nicholas,

You will get paid pro-rated if you guest agrees to cancel.

You may get paid pro-rated if Airbnb cancels due to significant rules being broken.

However, payment should never be your main concern.

Your safety, your comfort and your need to bounce back and get future income should trump your desire to get the most money out of a problematic guest.

Let Airbnb figure out what that amount is, accept it and live another day to enjoy a better guest