Awaiting Payment Status -Guest got charged when the booking got cancelled. How will she get a refund

Melisa4
Level 1
Cebu City, Philippines

Awaiting Payment Status -Guest got charged when the booking got cancelled. How will she get a refund

Hi! Need help on a certain booking that showed "Awaiting Payment" after guest tried to pay for a reservation using a credit card. After 24hrs the status showed "Cancelled". My guest checked with the bank and said that she was charged for a cancelled booking. She got a message from Airbnb that they did not receive a payment and that she will be refunded. I cannot find any article in the Help Center about this. We are wondering how she will be refunded when she used a credit card to pay for the booking. Please help. 

Thank you!

Melisa

5 Replies 5
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You shouldn't be getting involved as you only have the guest's story to rely on. The guest needs to take it up with her credit card company if she was charged for something she did not receive or buy. Or she needs to take it up with AirBnB.

Thank you for the advice. I adviced my guest the same. I was wondering If I can provide her with additional information in case I get any. She is hesitant to try and make a payment again.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm a bit confused about a couple of things here-

Why would Airbnb e-mail the guest to say they did not receive payment but at the same time confirm they will refund payment - makes no sense whatsoever.

If  we assume Airbnb called the money from her credit card whilst for some reason the reservation remained in pending stage, then refunding the money would not result in bank/ credit card charges; such charges are normally be as a result of lack of sufficient funds in the account or exceeding the authorised credit limit.

This guest did not actually book a reservation with you and even if she did, Airbnb would not release the funds to you until at least 24 hours after the guest has checked in. This is not the case here as such you never received any payments. Therefor this is a matter between the guest and Airbnb/ possibly her card provider. You do not need to get involved in the matter and frankly speaking, there is nothing you can do for the guest other than suggest they liaise with Airbnb and wish them the best in  resolving the matter.

All the best, Ama

Melisa4
Level 1
Cebu City, Philippines

I thought about that, too. It clearly does not make sense how she can be charged when the reason for cancellation was that airbnb did not receive a paymet. 

Thank you for the helpful clarification. 

Best regards, 

Melisa

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You are most welcome Melisa...