Awful guest- to report them or not to report them

Morgan50
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Awful guest- to report them or not to report them

Hi everyone,

I have been a host for about a year now, I have two villas in a town in Alicante, Spain. I have had my fair share of amazing guests who are so nice and understanding, especially when I first started up and was just getting used to it. I have also had the odd 'bad' guest who sneaked in more people than they booked for or had a bit too much to drink and have been a bit too loud in the evening. 

I have not however, dealt with a guest as disrespectful as the one I had this weekend. I am shocked that people think it's okay to act like this anywhere, let alone someone's home. Firstly they arrived at nearly midnight when they said they would arrive at 3pm. I had a nice meal planned for that night and with the arrival time agreed I thought I would make it. I called them a countless number of times to see if they would even be turning up, no answer. For the two nights of their stay they came home around 1am being so loud that my neighbours actually complained to me. I have very clearly stated on my listing that it is a calm and quiet residential area and there are no parties allowed. It is actually in my house rules to keep quiet after 11pm. As well as this they left two hours after the agreed check out time. I had to knock on the door many times and phone them, again with no answer. 

The villa was absolutely filthy and my cleaner even asked for extra money for the extra work. 

Finally, the most disgusting thing I have experienced as being a host. They left me a 2L bottle of urine!!! I was so shocked that someone would do this. I have a fully functioning toilet with plenty of tissue, they were obviously too drunk to get out of bed to go to the toilet. I feel like a bad review is not enough for these guests as I do not want these guests staying anywhere else and I have had no apology or anything to compensate for this disgusting behaviour. 

Should I report these guests or not? I would like to know what everyone else thinks. Thankyou!! 

5 Replies 5
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Morgan50

You give them a negative review and a thumbs down.  You do not have to be specific, just factual so that other hosts understand that these were far from the ideal guests.  Did not follow house rules and were a lot less untidy than your average guest would be good enough, but not "bad" enough to be taken down.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Most definitely. Please.

Why would you wish these guests on others?

When guests join Airbnb, they agree to full public writtin disclosure.

Just keep it factual and professional.

"Guests loud during quiet hours"

"Guest left apartment very dirty"

"Guests overstayed checkout by 2 hours"

"Guests unwilling to use toilet in a sanitary fashion" Or "Guests left their urine in a bottle"

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Sorry to hear about your horrible experience. It sounds out of the ordinary to get these guests that are not like your typical guests. They tend to through you for a loop when they dissappoint you at every turn. Lesson may be to lower your expectations of the guest you will receive.

To play the devils advocate you mentioned you called several times and they never picked up- they could have been on a plane or their phone could have been stolen. They arrived late- their plane could have been delayed. You made a lovely meal that might have went to waste- instead inquire if the guest wants to join you for dinner, but save it for the second night. They came home rowdy late at night- young people can be like that and believe rules don't apply to them. They left 2 hours after checkout- guest could have lost track of time considering they are in a new time zone and clearly don't have a working phone. Filthy listing- most days the cleaner has it easy, that day was a hard day. Its a give and take. Regarding the urine- just be glad they left it in a bottle and not on the floor in a corner or heaven forbid your mattress. 2L is quite a lot of urine. Sure it wasnt spoiled apple juice, apple cider vinegar or ginger ale?

Im just saying there are 2 sides to every story. Ive seen it all, except for the urine and give guests the benefit of the doubt. I think the more of these guests we get the more they prepare us on how to always expect the unexpected. Id take a week before writing a review about these guests. At this point you have nothing to gain by writing a detailed bad review of them. When the time comes keep it short and to the point. 

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Absolutely! Fellow hosts would like the heads up I'm sure. 

It sounds like you had to cancel your plans to wait for them. Personally I would have gone to my outing and let them cool their heels until I got back. 

Aaron112
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Leave an honest factual review as always. Keep the emotions out of it and stick to the facts and you should be good to go.