BAD GUESTS!

BAD GUESTS!

We had a really bad guest in our house and left a HUGE mess and I was left with a large cleaning bill and I involved air bnb after the guest refused to pay! The guest was NOT happy form the start wantng discounts and free things and then left the house a total mess! Air bnb rejected my claim so I not only hosted this guest I actualy lost money! Has anyone else had this happen to them?! 

Thank you

111 Replies 111

This is the second time in 2 months that I have had a guest book one of my places for 1 guest and turn up with loads more.

1. A guest shows up at my 1 bedroom cottage (1 guest booked). He arrives at 2:30 in the morning with 3 ladies...

Not much I can do but let them in. The following morning they contact airbnb saying my place is too small and want to check out. I get the call from airbnb.

I get to their cottage to find all their stuff gone bit a long line of walkie talkie batteries on charge. Ask him to pick up his batteries (he sends one of the girls because he is too cowardly to deal with me). He then tells airbnb I kicked him out. Airbnb take his side, finally they agree to pay for an extra day.

2. My 2 bed house was booked by 1 guest due to arrive on Christmas eve, he shows up with his wife and 4 children. What am I supposed to do? Let them in...

They have the nerve to complain about silly things. A call on christmas morning, "we have locked ourselves out", there are 2 sets of keys given to the guests.

I loose my cool.

A most unhelpful response from airbnb.

My question - if I am rating guests with stars, why can't I see their stars? This all feels very one sided.

I'm sorry you had this experience! I have had lots of guests book like that (not truthful about who would be staying). So I put in my description/rules they need to disclose exactly the number of adults and children otherwise they are breaking the rules, I can reject them and they are not entitled to a refund! 

Airbnb definitely needs an owner advocate!

Hosts with this complaint always say what can I do, I have to let them in?" No you don't, they negotiated a service for x many people and try to scam you, you have provided what they negotiated, you don't have to agree to their extra terms. If a guest shows up with extra people, tell them you are happy to host the number booked ONLY or NONE, their choice!

This is true. If the reservation is for 1 and 2 show up, you have the right to not let them check in. This is explicitly stated somewhere on this website (just read it tonight) and I will be doing this.

we only get to see the guests stars if we allow “instant book” after they book, and if we refuse more than 3 bookings we lose standing with ABB.

with instant book they make the booking fee regardless...and twice if the guest rebooks another place.  genius, except for the host who’s screening out trouble.

Yes, I'd like to see their stars too...

Barbara9
Level 2
North Richland Hills, TX

We spent $30,000 renovating a patio into an airbnb room that is really nice. People brought other ppl in the back door, left the door open with AC running full blast, ......  Anyway now I live in that room and we sell the old room at the back of the hallway with the hallway bathroom. Now they must use the front door. Also we do not issue keys. We have a code lock which we change with each guest and it locks automatically in 30 seconds. No more access to the backyard.

RonAndNicole0
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I just got off the phone not too long ago with an airbnb rep. 

My guest has their own guest known as a boyfriend/husband, whom of which was very snarky from the start of their arrival. They are new to airbnb, and I take a lot of pride in hosting many new airbnb-ers.

He was displeased with just about everything, real brash, and the booking guest just laughed him off, appologized for him, and dismissed him stating he is never happy. Ok, well good to know. 

When they arrived I went over everything including the internet and guidebook. 

They wanted something to eat so I suggested a few local places, none of which were "sushi". (They are from SoCal, ok great, but I hadn't had any super stellar sushi close but, I told them I would ask my husband who loves sushi. The boyfriend/husband was very upset that I didn't have a sushi reference on the fly. Not to worry, txt messages to my sweetie. So, they chose to take one of my recommendations which was 2 blocks away. The boyfriend stomps back and states that wasn't what he wanted. I asked if they received my txt message about the sushi recommendation, and they said they didn't get my message yet. 

Later in the evening we were indisposed and on the phone regarding some serious family illness, because I didn't respond right away, the boyfriend came to the front door, paced, rang the bell. When we got up to get the door, no one was there. I received another message from them demanding we fix the internet or else they were leaving. I logged on to the network, and it was clear that her phone was logged in, and that his laptop was trying to connect. My husband went out to our guesthouse, and asked to assist. He tried several times to help him and after a while I went out after seeing the log in events, and I went through all his window prompts and noticed that he was using all sorts of VPN locks, and Wifi graphs, and it was easy to see that he was not versed in how to use his service. Within 2 min and following the windows prompts I had his laptop up and running while he was cussing, and swearing at me and my husband, calling us liars, and frankly throwing a tempertantrum. 

I asked him what his problem was, and he started swearing at us stating that our internet is full of ... that I was full of **bleep**, and yet the internet was active. I even showed him his log in logs and his girlfriend was already on the wifi. At which time he stated he was going to leave, and I said yeah, maybe you should. 

I called airbnb right away. I was on hold for over 20 min waiting. A nice lady came on the phone who told me that she was sure the guest didn't mean what he said and that he was just upset. Are you freaking kidding me? How in the world would she know what he meant and that him threatening us, was just an expression of his frustration. WHAT AIRBNB? I asked to speak to her supervisor. 

The rub was I got cussed out in my own home, I was threatened, and yelled at repeately yet I am suppose to sit there, and allow these people to treat me like a second class person in my own home and that I have to continue to allow them on my property and in my home. I find that really wrong. 

This isn't the first time I have had sorted guests. About a year ago I contacted Airbnb regarding a guest who brought a very young woman approx age of 15 or 16 into my guesthouse for their wedding night. I was extremely concerned and I called airbnb because this man was about 50 years her senior and I was concerned for her saftey. I was told I couldn't do a **bleep** thing about it. I found that really wrong.

So the fix for this incident is I have to let the abusive boyfriend stay the night, disrespecting me, and my home or get a penalty. They are leaving tomorrow, a day early and I am sure I will still have to eat the fee's. I am so mad

Ron and Nicole, we're so sorry to hear this! Knocking on wood, we haven't had this experience of a verbally aggressive and verbally abusive guest. When my wife & I were researching about airbnb spaces, we found that if we ever felt threatened we do have the legal right to call the police. I'm sorry I don't have the reference materials to hand, but the materials are out there.

If you haven't already, call your local NON-emergency police phone # to see if they can point you toward the exact laws for such things in AZ. I believe anytime if you feel *extremely* uncomfortable/fearful of/intimidated by any guest, you have the right to call the police - *extremely* being key. (Of course, sometimes, we will all inevitably be around persons whose manners, or lack thereof, we find offensive or objectionable; BUT a guest who is a 'total jerk' is NOT the same as a guest by whom one feels threatened.) 

You will want to MAKE SURE, as others have noted, to immediately record everything said or observed that led you to feel *extremely.* So that it is on record to show the police when they arrive, and in a quickly accessible format, we think using the airbnb site is likely the best option for making a record of the interaction(s), plus then when dealing with airbnb, you have it right there.

As to the other issue you had about a year ago:

Age of Consent in general in the US is 18 years old, although in a # of states (maybe a third?), it's 16 years old (like here in our home state, WA); you will need to check for Age of Consent for your state of AZ, which you can google. If the young woman was 16, and if 16 is the Age of Consent in AZ, then you do not have recourse. HOWEVER:

If ever there is a situation again where you are concerned for the safety of an unregistered guest whom you suspect to be a minor (or, actually, ANY guest, regardless of age), you DO have some IMPORTANT legal RIGHTS and OBLIGATIONS. 

You might ask the guests to show you their I.D.s, as you are "a responsible host looking out for the safety of everyone in the community." It may be that you will be able to verify that they are both at Age of Consent, and your mind will be put to ease. We've read in the Community Center many times that some hosts list in their Listing &/or in the House Rules that guests will or may be asked to show I.D. upon check-in, which might be a good way to go with that.

If the young guest does NOT have an I.D. or refuses to show it, you DO have the right (and also the legal obligation, if you at all have concerns about possible sexual exploitation of a minor, or sex trafficking) to call your local police about your concerns. 

If it turns out to be on the up-and-up once government I.D. is verified &/or legally checked, it is reasonable to think the guests may be unhappy or embarrassed (maybe "he" looks a lot older than he is, maybe she looks a lot younger). But, like us, it sounds like you understand that it's far better to be inconvenienced and uncomfortable, than to risk in any way supporting sexual abuse of a minor (or of anyone) by turning our heads and looking away.

To help with the guests' feelings in such a scenario (where the legality of Age of Consent is verified), first, we would sincerely acknowledge their discomfort. 

Second, we would turn it around for them, if at all possible, so they could see that their participation in age verification for consent/sexual safety issues is not JUST legally necessary for you as a host, but also that their participation can be seen as an example of their personal integrity/good citizenship/ understanding/graciousness (anything positive and compassionate, if at all applicable, added to a difficult situation, we find is always helpful).

We would next let them know we admire the courageousness of every person who cooperates in these important efforts to be more aware of our legal obligations to one another around safety and explicitly specified legal consent, that they are an important part of our nation's growing awareness of personal sexual safety.

And then, we could also thank them for cooperating in efforts to keep everyone in the community safe. If worded sincerely, showing best intentions & acknowledging our own discomforts (because, it's not as if these highly charged conversations are comfortable for us, either) in our new socio-cultural conversations around #MeToo, all efforts toward a respectful and safe society for everyone ought to be met with understanding & appreciation.

If they are not able to understand or appreciate these concerns, and it results in a poor review, we would simply restate our mandate to participate in keeping every guest, and everyone in our community at large, safe. Any prospective guests reading that response will either be VERY happy and grateful to support a responsible and caring host by booking with you, OR they won't book with you because they themselves are dodgy, and know you to be a host who looks out for the safety of all.

You absolutely have the legal right - and obligation - to simply immediately call the police anytime you fear for a young person's safety:  SHAME ON WHOMEVER YOU SPOKE WITH AT AIRBNB CS FOR MAKING YOU THINK OTHERWISE!

Bob158
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

Recently had a horrible guest. Filthy, Noisy, and broke things. and Now his conversation stream in my inbox has disappeared and I can't leave a review for him on air BNB . any others have this happen

Qing7
Level 1
Richmond, Canada

We had a really bad guest in our house and left a HUGE mess and I was left with a large cleaning bill and I involved air bnb after the guest refused to pay! The guest was NOT happy form the start wantng discounts and free things and then left the house a total mess! Air bnb rejected my claim so I not only hosted this guest I actualy lost money! Has anyone else had this happen to them?! 

Thank you

Hi there, I do had a few bed guest from March 2018, too. 

Mess up all house, p on bed, i chenged all, the bill is over $3000 us.

Over months ago, Air bnb not pay for that, that was not good, I'll put this on youtube.

also, some other host quit air bnb, most of this kind of iusse...

I'm consider quit air bnb as well.

I believe air bnb has to be more proactive. I don't see the point of having a "SECURITY DEPOSIT" and then making it virtually impossible to make a claim against It. Bob Barr

Yes,

I now no longer have kids stay and booking shorter than 2 nights.  Guests at Christmas with 2 kids, caused £800 plus of damage. The kids broke a £400 m&s armchair, ruined a mattress with by soiling it. Caused £400 damage to worktops by cutting on them, I believe they did this when they were trying to repair the damaged hallway carpet, that the dog they sneaked in destroyed. There were clothes and a nappy left on the bathroom floor. The guest refused to cover the damage and even made a complaint about the property. This is the second time that a family with kids have left the place in a shocking condition. 

Vitor51
Level 1
Fiumicino, Italy

What is going on that lately I’m getting terrible guests??? On my case it’s a shared place and not a hotel I can only host guests when I’m here and often I’m getting rude or arrogant messsges even last one request no picture at all!!! Honestly I start not trusting this anymore yesterday I had a guest that did not ready my add and end up I felt bad and umcortable...my Airbnb it’s a shared space and all other guests were AMazing

But lately it’s Terrible 

Allyson17
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

Sadly my worst guests have been Airbnb hosts. I had two police officer's lead me too believe women were coming when in fact they were men and they took over like it was their home. Another tell me to my face all was good and complain ed about the temperature. And another rush j is my fans that were there out of courtesy as I had not said I provided them!