Bad experience with guest

Alice487
Level 2
Nashville, TN

Bad experience with guest

We just had our first bad experience with a group of guests, what to do? The guest had previous 5 star reviews from other hosts saying that him and his wife were clean and respectful. So I assumed that they would take care of the place. I should have know when he told me it was him and a group of 7 of his male friends. But he assured me that they would not party at the house and would take care of things and leave things the way they found it. When they left, I walked into my home and all the furniture was rearranged, there was trash and food everywhere, 5 trash bags worth of empty beer bottles and the worst part, dirty underwear laying around everywhere. Has anyone had an experience like this? Do I take photos of the dirty underwear and upload that? 

7 Replies 7
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Take pictures of everything! What you will do with those pictures, I am not sure. Documenting this type of circumstance, which is so unfortunate, is essential as you decide how you wish to proceed.

Other hosts who have faced similar "trashing" will be able to advise you as to what your next steps should be. I have never found this since I live in the house.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The past review was for a couple, this actual stay was for 8 guys; two entirely different realities, as it proved to be. 

Any place that invites *8* guests does require an extraordinary high degree of caution on the host's part, especially if they are young in age, which may be the case with these guests. 

You are charging the same 1-6 ($203); 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, so far so good, a natural arrangement. However, keep in mind $203/6 is only $33 per person. Hmm. For a mere $30 more you are allowing up to 8 guests - the bigger the number the higher the probability exponentially for group chaos. 

For starters, why not limit your place to only 6; but even at 6, being selective it is still a requirement. If you feel daring, consider going to $295 (still for only 6) and improve the level of your clientele.

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

I agree with Fred about fewer people and higher prices. As far as getting some money for the damage; send a polite request with a picture. The wife may care enough about good reviews to sort it out. When you write him start with "Dear jack and jill...".  The thought of his wife potentially seeing the pictures might give him the incentive to work it out with you. OR...add a couple of bras and panties to the mess on the floor and send that picture!!! THAT LAST BIT WAS A JOKE

Hahaha...Photo Shop can make it happen! @Paige73 what a creative mind you have!

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Alice487, if nothing is damaged, there is not really anything you can do as far as collecting damages. I would take the advise of Fred and take this moment as a learning lesson to improve the clientele and also increase the price for additional guests. Of course, we all try to screen guests with one or two bad ones slipping in sometimes, but we can try to head them off by being selective and perhaps in your case you can charge more for a number over 4 instead of 6. 

Wow, so much great advice from experts! Thank you! I did change the number of guests to 6, I think you guys are right about that. 8 is too much to manage.

after washing the sheets, I did discover that a bed set was missing including pillow, sheets, and comforter. It’s not much I guess compared to aTV missing or something else big like that. Do you recommend I try to get money for the bed set? 

You do have a great place, once you remove the 'wild' types, it will be smooth sailing.