Bad review left, all lies!!!! How can I contact Airbnb?

Answered!
Belinda33
Level 2
Gunnedah, Australia

Bad review left, all lies!!!! How can I contact Airbnb?

I had Chinese group stay, we communicated well, we even drove them the 10kms from home to show them where the field days were being held so they would know where they were going the next morning. They booked in on Monday around 5ish and by Wednesday morning they had rang to say they had run out of toilet paper, we had left 6 rolls for 4 people we thought this was ample. They then rang to say toilet was blocked, we couldn't get a plumber to the house, so a friend went to the house and had to empty the toilet with his hands to try and unblock the toilet, he found that they had shoved two toilet rolls down the toilet, we got a plumber the next day to unblock the toilet.  I then only heard from them again on the morning they were leaving to say they were leaving he key, when we went to the house it had used tissues left all over the floor and there was even food scraps left on the floor as well. They had also marked the top of an antique dining table by putting the hot kettle on it. I did ask to withhold the $500 bond I set but within 24 hrs I cancelled this request as I didn't want to cause trouble and as I was new to Airbnb and was more important to me to have good review..... I left a review just string about there

1 Best Answer
Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Airbnb does now give you 48 hours to edit your review of the guest. Which is great in the case of discovering damage that wasn't immediately obvious or just a simple spelling error. But, in this case, if you are still within those 48 hours, you could go back and change your review to the benefit of al future hosts. 

View Best Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Belinda33
Level 2
Gunnedah, Australia

I left a review just staring they communicated well and would recommend... I am sorry I did this as they have said I have hounded them for money when I haven't contacted them since they checked out, they are saying I am a fraud and asked them for $2623 when all I did was withhold the $500 bond.  I am not sure what to do would love some advice please.  Cheers Belinda 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's difficult to comment as you haven't given us any details of the 'bad review' your guests left. If it is factually inaccurate, do contact BnB - they can see messages between you and your guests so can follow what happened. Contact BnB straight away and explain what has happened.

You shouldn't ever feel you can't leave an honest review of your guests or make a claim because of a guest review. I really don't understand why you left a review that was less than honest.

Heidi57
Level 1
Johannesburg, South Africa

Dear Elen, I was downgraded from 5 to 4,4 because of a review on Cleanness saying that there were ants in my bungalow.

My bungalow is spotless clean  but when a family leaves food bits or bread scrumb on the floor , it attractsd immediately ans !!!

Please advise the procedure to leave Airbnb organisation. I cannot find anywhere how to do it as one is unable to contact anybody at Airbnb. This is the cherry on the top !!

Merci for your help

Heidi ** in  South Africa

Fabrice27
Level 1
Nice, FR

Hello all !

I wish I would see this bad review on your profile, but, as I am new on the community, I don't know how to see a contributor's profile. Can someone help ?

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

This thread describes totally how to contact Airbnb:

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good luck with everything! This is only the beginning, keep going and you will have great experiences! 

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I feel for you.. I had the same problem with toilet paper and asian guests. The reason is they don't have water in their toilets so don't like the splash, to stop this they fill it with toilet paper so it doesn't splash.  I had to take all the spare paper out of the cupboard since 2 people were going through one roll aday.  I was getting worried my toilet would over flow.  Now I explain they only have so much as that is all the toilet can hold..   Always give a true review because that is what they are there for.. Don't ever be scared of a bad review from a guest as we all get one sooner or later.... just keep doing the right thing and the good will out way the bad.  Good luck with it

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Belinda
Response from Belinda:

I will be reporting this unfair review, I did ask for the $500 bond as a burn mark was left on the table from a kettle and they had used 6 rolls of toilet paper in 3 days and they were away from the house all day, when my friend called the plumber he could not fix the problem but when the toilet was cleaned out two rolls of toilet paper had been shoved down the toilet. I did ask for the $500 bond through Airbnb but thought better of it and withdrew the claim within 24hrs. I never ever ever asked for any money other than the $500 bond. This review is very unfair we went out of our way to drive them when they arrived to show them where the field days where some 10kms out of the town so they would know where they were going the following day. I am ver disappointed with this review and will be seeking advice from Airbnb. I would like to retract my previous positive feedback.

David
Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Im so sorry-- "It was just your turn" as another host explained to me when we had a similar experience--that didn't include REAL damage---I had a family of mainland Chinese stay with me, although they didn't leave an overall bad review, (there was a good dig in there) they were probably my most challenging stay simply because of the cultural differences.
We too had issues with a toilet, the group rented my RV which doesn't have a house style toilet. (Not even going to go there). The shower curtain was left outside the tub and the floor was flooded. They departed with everything that was left as a guest courtesy and amenity. (Courtesy Toothbrushes, shampoo, coffee pods for the Kurig, a roll of paper towels., all the toilet paper that wasn't stuffed in the toilet, tourist info packets, snacks in the fridge etc)The place was a mess-- no serious damage, but it looked like it was tossed by a band of house robbers looking for treasure, with things out of place, thermostat de-programmed, lights and appliances left on etc... They also basically demanded I provide them with bread, and asked to come in the house the evening of the 1 night stay, to use my kitchen to cook at 10pm (I said no).
A friend, whose parents immigrated from mainland China before she was born, laughed when I told her what had happened, she said that culturally speaking, her visiting relatives never want to pay a compliment because it's not seen as acceptable. All compliments are cleverly disguised as complaints. If indeed that is all true, maybe you received the highest of compliments in the form of a review?? Also, she said since they are paying a cleaning fee, they probably figured you should clean up after them. (Makes sense I guess?)
It was explained to me by an understanding phone rep at Airbnb that cultural differences can create a unique set of circumstances, and challenges, we as hosts need to be prepared for if we accept reservations by people from other cultures. It is what it is-- we are an all inclusive community, and I suppose we need to gird our loins and accept the bad with the good? We did, after all invite the public in, no?

I actually got a simmilar problem recently. I am a chinese and I put a lot of Chinese seasoning in the kitchen,big big bottle of oils, also plenty of chopsticks. However, I kept receiving comments saying tha the kitchen is not clean and not enough cutleries. After two reviews of the same problem, I thought it would be my problem definitely. So now I bought 40 estra pieces of cutleries, I put all seasoning away in the pantry, only left two clean bottle of salt & sugar. I will also just provide a small clean bottle of oil. This would be better as guests wont need to pour out the whole big bottle of oil and left oil marks on the package which would be disgusting. I moved all snacks to pantry as guests think this is not neat.  I actually at first put the snacks on the kitchen table, it was meant to be a free treat, but people dont like it. We never used a pantry in China , haha ~~~To me it's more like a store room. Maybe there is cultural reasons in our cases.

Pat53
Level 2
Shelton, CT

Yes, had the same situation in my Vermont rental last year. It's all well and good to write it off to cultural differences but the resulting flood from an overstuffed toilet cost me considerbly. My advice for responding to a bad review is to try to find a way to add a positive that will appeal to the kind of guest you want to attract. We had one instance, for example, where a couple complained that we were "childish" because we complained about the noise at 11:00 PM when they brought back about 20 people following their wedding reception. I said yes, she was correct, that our rental was all about rural peace and the quiet enjoyment of nature not rowdy events; and anyone wishing to party should rent elsewhere. I can't tell you how many people said they chose our rental because of my committment to peace and quiet!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately you have played a part in this sorry story - however, you can now reply publicly to their review. I would suggest that you keep it very brief and high level. No one reading it is going to be interested in bits of tissue etc - but make your point about damage done to plumbing and a valid point about a lack of cultural understanding as to how and what basic plumbing is used for. Be polite and to the point. Write it out a few times before posting and maybe ask someone else to read it too so that you come off the better party in this case.

Excellent point @Gerry and Rashid!

One thing I see often in the forums/rooms is constant complaining about guests and plumbing issues. The reality is, that people are renting from you for the basic necessities of life, which include the 4 "S's' ...Plumbing plays a major roll in 3 of those. If it goes bad and you receive a poor review because of it, whose fault is that ultimatly?

Some hosts jump into Airbnb hosting willie-nilly because they see a giant stack of money without realizing this is a business, glossing over the fact that owning a business requires investment, time, careful planning and risk assesment.

If, for example you have a lovely old home, but that home that has equally lovely old plumbing in it, chances are you are going to encounter issues when dealing with the public. Flying up in the face of a guest for overflowing a toilet under somewhat normal (I use the term loosely) circumstances,and charging them repair fees seems a little unfair if you as a host havent properly prepared that home or space to rent, beforehand. (E.g. installing better quality low flow toilets, minding they type of toilet paper you are providing, perhaps having your plumbing professionally checked, cleared or repaired of potential issues BEFORE inviting guests?) You wouldnt send an old lady up the stairs with a broken handrail, why would you invite the public to poop in your potty without making sure your toilet and plumbing are prepared to handle the volume of traveling strangers?

Public places, Hotels &resturants,  don't charge guests for overflowing toilets, and my guess is if your own mother clogged the toilet on a visit to your home,  you wouldnt send her the repair bill. Its part of the cost of doing business in the Hospitality Trade.  Base prices on your place like an acuary if its that fragile,  or it cant handle heavy volumes of people. 

In the US, we have Home Repair companies that, for a fee annually, will come out and preform repairs on  the systems you agree with on a contract, for a nominal "co-payment" per repair order. (AHS, 360-HOME) Plumbing, heat, A/C, appliences, electrical, etc are systems you can insure, so interuptions and money flying out the window from calendar down time, travel interuptions and costly repairs are greatly reduced. Write the cost off against the investment and income. No brainer.

Hi Nancy I understand and agree with what you are saying but am unsure that there is any domestic septic system that can  cope with the amount of toilet paper that went into the system over a 2 day period.

Cheers

Belinda

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Airbnb does now give you 48 hours to edit your review of the guest. Which is great in the case of discovering damage that wasn't immediately obvious or just a simple spelling error. But, in this case, if you are still within those 48 hours, you could go back and change your review to the benefit of al future hosts.