Be Careful When Cancelling Due To 'Extenuating Circumstances'...

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Be Careful When Cancelling Due To 'Extenuating Circumstances'...

Just a heads up to hosts to be very careful when cancelling booking(s) due to 'extenuating circumstances'. After going through a few minor hoops, a customer support rep cancelled a reservation I had for 11/30 as my partner is undergoing major surgery. Once the cancellation was confirmed, I assumed it was all taken care of. A few days later I got an Booking request for the same dates I had cancelled. It appears the rep cancelled the reservation, but left my dates open to be booked again. Fortunately I had turned off 'Instant Booking' or I would have had another booking for the dates I had just cancelled. 

Therefore, I recommend that any host that uses customer support to cancel any reservation of any kind ALWAYS go back to double-check and make sure that your dates are still cancelled. Also, if you have multiple listings, make sure you cancel those same dates on your primary listing to prevent a sync from opening up the dates again on all associated listings. On a positive note, the rep made it as easy as possible on me when I cancelled, which I greatly appreciate. However, I initially thought I was receiving all of the penalties associated with a cancellation (loss of super host status, etc) due to the automated notice under the refund that highlights the many punishments infiicted on hosts for cancelling on a guest. It would be nice if that notice were not automatically generated when a host cancels for legitimate reasons, and the cancellation is in fact done by Airbnb on behalf of the host, penalty-free. But, life is not always as we wish it to be (sigh...)

4 Replies 4
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Rebe2cca

I have been stung early on when I started hosting.

As a result I have the air bnb phone number on speed dial and phone before I cancel anything now.

Yes once bitten and twice shy!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rebecca181  I don't see the notice of cancellation on your listings. For the most part you just need to give them proof of the hospitalization or whatever the reason was for the extinuating circumstances and everthing goes away after that. 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Letti0, yes, this part was resolved after I called customer support yet another time. My main point was that the Case Manager did the cancellation and then left the days open, which resulted in my almost getting booked again (if the prospective guest had met all my requirements it would have been an Instant Booking situation), which would have meant I would have to cancel yet again. 

Also, those with multiple listings may have their dates opened up due to syncing of calendars. So anytime a cancellation is done, I recommend the host double-check their listings and make sure the dates are actually cancelled on all calendars if there is more than one listing associated with the home or unit.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Rebecca, I hear you.  I spend an inordinate amount of time tripple-checking the calendar; oftentime, the root of many 'evils'. Just caught a duplicate booking (yikes) by the same person, 1 year apart from each other. Strange.