Be careful out there fellow hosts

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Be careful out there fellow hosts

I just had my first run in with a last minute skecthy reservation that got weirder by the minute. I ended up waiting on hold for 30 minutes to tell AirBnB to cancel the reservation.

I'm finding that the safeguards AirBnB puts in place are not verified and AirBnB should put in more. We are sharing our homes with strangers and the fact that we can't even get a copy of their DL or ID sent to us via the web is unfortunate. Telling us they are verified by a Google Account doesnt mean crap.  It feels like we have to hound these guests for minor details so we are more comfortable hosting them...simple arrival and departure times are hard to come by, the reason WHY they are visiting our city, the exact names of people and the number of people visiting, what are their FB names, what is their real phone number or exact email address these are just some of the key pieces of information that we need to feel comfortable. All hotels collect most of this information why aren't we allowed access to these details? If left up to guest they will provide nothing until prompted.

I had a guest book today and it was weird because they booked 5 days at the last minute and he only stated it was 1 person for a 2 bedroom house when he could just book one room out of the house (first red flag). Before I approved I wanted to know details about his stay as he just opened a profile on AirBnB. It took him an hour to respond and everything seemed to lack specifics which most guest would provide to some degree (red flag). Most honest guests seem to overshare vs not provide enough details. I eventually approved and sent him arrival instructions. Well he gave me a time frame of his arrival and I was debating all day if I should wait around for those 3 hours. I found a movie and just decided to wait it out. The movie ended and I decided to leave and hoped he could figure everything out when he arrived in my absence. I eventually called him to see where he was, turns out the number listed was a local number, but on his profile it stated he was arriving from NY (red flag). The person picked up and they had no idea who I was or who the person was who I was looking for (another red flag). I jetted back to my listing because the whole scenario was wrong. One young guy came to my door in jeans and tshirt- no luggage to be found and he had a XTS waiting for him with tinted windows and the engine still running. I asked for an ID and it clearly wasnt the guy who had booked and his ID was from Oklahoma and I told him that the person who booked had to be here to check in. I never check IDs but this reservation just seemed off. I made him wait at the door while he called the person who booked the reservation and he just left that person a VM. I told him I noticed it was a local number and he said "we just got a new phone with a local number." If youre coming for a convention and for business you don't need a new phone number. He eventually got back in the XTS and they sped off. I did a reverse search on the number and it doesn't belong to either of the two people I interacted with. Perhaps, a stolen ID, phone and CCs.

I wrote in the AirBnB message for him to clarify what was going on and I didn't receive a response. I didn't want to deal with them showing back up at midnight with  a new story so I had AirBnB cancel the reservation due to being uncomfortable. Oddly enough, I had lowered my rates the same morning to get the rooms booked and this is what happens. This is why I don't charge low rates. If a person wants a cheap rate to do something shady go to a Motel 6.

The AirBnB rep could not have cared less. After stating the shady dealings going on, she simply stated "what do you want out of this?". I want you guys to do your jobs and verify that people are who they say they are so I can feel safe giving my house keys to a **bleep** stranger or letting a stranger sleep under the same roof as me.

73 Replies 73
Dawn86
Level 2
South Carolina, United States

IMG_5720.JPG
@Dawn0 wrote:

Update!!! I finally got a lady at Airbnb to help me and get my case to the proper people.  She assures me they have a million dollar hostess protection plan in place.  I feel a little bit better and I am just waiting now to hear from that department.  

Here is my horrible experience.  I rented to a guy named Shidule Mohammed from Wed to Sun.  He joined Airbnb the same day he booked with me(big red flag).  He had NO reviews.  I called him after he booked and made sure he was aware of my no parties rule.  He said he would take care 

@Dawn0 wrote:

Update!!! I finally got a lady at Airbnb to help me and get my case to the proper people.  She assures me they have a million dollar hostess protection plan in place.  I feel a little bit better and I am just waiting now to hear from that department.  

My stove when they leftyes.  He promised me he would take care of my home.  I was on vacation when he rented my home so I could check in on them.  He was only suppose to have 10 he had 12people.  They cooked with oil and curry all week!! He was suppose to be out by 10 on Sunday he checked out at 11:10.  His group were a bunch of 

Dawn86
Level 2
South Carolina, United States

This group destroyed my home!! Ripped my couch, poured oil all in my outside grill so now it just catches on fire!  They went through EVERY Drawer and left them all open.  Moved all my things on the wall.  They burned holes in my America. Flag.  The smell is horrible!! I can't get it out!! The new renters have been understanding so I gave them 100 back.  This has been a nightmare!!!

Yes, the people from India are known to cook at AirBnBs and they cook the most pungent items, but at least they dont have the intention to defraud. It took me a week to get the smell or onions, garlic and curry out of my house when I hosted a family from India. It was my first time dealing with it since I never allowed cooking by guests in my first listing. If the cooking becomes an issue dont be afraid to remove that amenity from your listing and hide all pots and pans. It may turn away a few long term requests, but man does it relieve a lot of stress for me and the next guests.

Hi Zach,

glad that worked for you in the end. I remember your (funny) desperation over the cooking issue with guests. Hide the pots!!

Although I had Rumanian friends once and one of the girls wanted to cook at my place once, to thank me for something. It was a feast with different delicacies and one of them involved - to my horror - to burn eggfruits all around dirrctly on the red hot stove. Plus lots of garlic.

I prepare the dish every summer, although I put the vegetables into the oven and stop well before the "cancer garanteed" stage. Nearly 30 years later, I can smile about this abuse of my kitchen. Just be aware: some people don't need pots for cooking and "salad"  is not always quick and relatively clean 😉

@Helga0yes. they did a number on me and my poor kitchen. Although they did clean up after themselves. You're right though sandwiches and salads can get messy, but its not the mess that so much bothers me as the smells of it all. Smells seem to stick around in my house longer than Id like and I always have guests coming and going and no one wants to walk into a house that smells like a tandoori hut.

Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Zacharias0 Amen. That second paragraph is spot on & sums up my thoughts completely. Thank you for calling attention to these matters!

Philip86
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I got robbed yesterday by someone I cancelled on.

How do you get robbed by someone you cancelled on? Did they still have the access codes to the house? I was afraid that would happen to me, but I have a hard key, changed the door code and have bars on my windows and door. I drive by everyday to make sure nothing has happened.

Daisy14
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Thanks for this information.  I'm wondering how much Management from Airbnb pays attention to this Communicy Center dialogue.  I have found that the call center for assistance has people who are not very knowledgable and really don't know much about policies and other things.  In AZ we had a rep from San Francisco who came here and held meet ups with Hosts.  He got sick so hasn't come again and I can't find anyone who knows if we have a rep anymore.  The call center person had no idea there wa such a situation! It was great to have Collin and we could get our concerns heard. 

Rhonda34
Level 4
Western Australia, Australia

I am new to being a host , so far so good.

I do agree there needs to be proper verification of people that come to your house.  Photo Id should be part of that, like an Airbnb passport.  Or a chip from Airbnb that a host can put in the computer and up comes all their verified details.

The world is not always a safe place, and the policy here is inclusion and acceptance. To do that you need to know the person your sharinig a house is exactly who they say they are.

You are your own little country, so you need to know if your safe in your own little country.  The world is not full of fluffy bunnies, and Airbnb needs to put in more measures for our saftey.  They need 24 hour  direct line for a start with customer service that has a clue or three.  Why hide behind a smoke and mirrors internet stuff, and go ask the community. The commity is not the business, so take care of your business like any hotel in the world that has to be a bit more security conscious. 

Shailesh2
Level 1
Jaipur, India

Dear Zakarias,

it sounds scarry. Airbnb should do something about all this.

thanks for sharing,

shailesh 

for ashirwad home stay,

jaipur , India

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Dawn86

Let us know how you get on with the Host Guarantee.

David

I could not agree more! @Zacharias0

I think it would be right to have all the info you mentioned about the guests on your hands and not a simple tick on their profile saying that AirBnb has verified them (and most of their checks are electronic so prone to even more mistakes). This way I would feel confident about the person I am about to host and it would also be likely to scare off any "shady" people. 

The way it is done now is unacceptable and I feel like Im playing lottery every time I accept a new reservation and just hope for the best 😞 

Lynn54
Level 3
Melrose, MA

I have added to my house rules that all guests that check in (not just the person making reservation) must provide me with Govt. Issued Id before I provide check in credentials.  I explain that this is separate from Airbnb.  I give them 3 days and then send a reminder.  I also write in my house rules that their Airbnb Profile photo has to be a photo of themselves (not a pet, landscape, etc.) I require that the first person checking in be the person making the reservation.  I also don't allow people who are not going to be in teh suite  to book for other guests. I also require that all guests be pre-approved (with IDs).  

I also have strick cancellation so if the guest reserves but then doesn't want to provide ids then they lose 50% of their booking if more than 7 days or I get all if less than 7 days. I have found that sketcy guests just cancel and lose their money. 

I have had two different responsed from AirBnb. The above change was recommended by an Airbnb customer service person and said that since it is in my house rules, I'm covered if I need to cancel a guest  but then a second Airbnb  customer service person said that while I can write it in my house rules and request it, it doesn't give me the right to cancel a guest without hurting my Superhost status.  

So far I haven't had to test which rep is correct.  Just a thought. 

These rules seem to weed out the questionable people and also gives me piece of mind. I very rarely actually check the ids.   I have instant book on, have been a superhost for 4 quarters in a row and run about a 95% booking rate.  I also do use Airbnb pricing tips the closer I get to an unbooked date.