Bedbugs: nightmare

Bedbugs: nightmare

In April, a guest brought bedbugs to one of our units. We discovered it because a subsequent guest was bitten and we found evidence of them on the sheets/dead bugs. 

The problem is this:  the host guarantee requires that a host file a claim against the guest causing the damage "within 14 days of their stay or before another guest checks in, whichever comes first." We had no way of knowing that there were bedbugs until another guest discovered them. Anyone who understands these pests knows that they are nightcrawlers that hide during the day. You don't see evidence of them the the first day they arrive (and if the guest who brought them knew they had them they certainly didn't disclose it to us.)

This issue cost us $1000 in professional pest management fees and the loss of a multiple bookings (including a month-long booking) and 2 very bad reviews plus the refund of the stay for the guests who discovered them. 

Has anyone else had this (horrific) experience? We have been hosts for 3 years, our entire apartment building is Airbnb and we have had no guests outside of Airbnb stay in any of these units (which is pretty easy to prove based on our calendar.) I don't feel it is reasonable for Airbnb hosts not to have coverage for this under Airbnb host insurance. 

5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I hate to be the barrier of bad news, but even if you knew who brought them in Bed Bugs are excluded from the Host Guarentee/Insurance. 

To be quite honest, I have not been very happy with the "Host Guarantee" lately. We've been hosting for 3 years and dealing with Airbnb and resolution on issues was so much better in the past. We almost NEVER complain or even bring any issues to Airbnb for resolution. I recently had a terrible guest who caused damage, lied (clearly evident in messages and photos) threatened to leave a retaliatory review, and who cost me a bad review with another guest who was staying downstairs (due to this guests incredibly ill-behaved children.) This was the guest's FIRST Airbnb stay and we are SH with 3 years and 390 reviews and yet I'm sucking up $300 in damages (Airbnb offered $27.) It wasn't worth the time I took to take photos and document everything, go after the guest an involve Airbnb. I am honestly of the opinion that the guarantee is mostly worthless: I obviously can't "prove" that a guest broke an appliance......obviously we aren't there in the apartment with them. But if it works fine before they arrive and it is broken when they leave??

I looked for any mention of bed bugs in the Host Guarantee/Insurance disclaimer and did not find any. 

III. Limitations and Exclusions

The Airbnb Host Guarantee pays Covered Losses only and does not pay for any of the following (“Excluded Losses”):

6. the following conditions:

• faulty workmanship, material, construction or design from any cause;
  • deterioration, depletion, rust, corrosion or erosion, inherent vice or latent defect;
  • Ordinary Wear and Tear;
  • settling, cracking, shrinking, bulging, or expansion of foundations, floors, pavements, walls, ceilings or roofs;
  • changes of temperature or relative humidity; or
  • damage caused by insects, animals or vermin (including pets);

provided, that any physical damage resulting from any of the conditions listed above will be covered by the Airbnb Host Guarantee if not otherwise excluded under the Airbnb Host Guarantee.

terms/host_guarantee

Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

As we rent mainly for backpackers, we have bed bug covers for pillows and mattresses, also we have metal bunk beds and absolutely no wooden furniture in the dormitories. Any guest, whom we suspect arriving from a place with bed bugs or having bed bugs, is invited (forced) for laundry and suitecase cleaning. But in your case, as it happened only once in three years, I do not know if you need to implement any of these measures.

I also do not expect anything from the AirBnb host guarantee, it is always a good idea to have your insurance for such cases.

Kenia10
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I just have my first problem if bedbugs , the guest says I have them but I been host for almost 2 years now and no complain and the guest you can see it’s a traveler which means been everywhere, and it’s so bad because airbnb take all their side and left us high and dried , cancel my bookings I need to pay back the guest £70 in refund , plus the treatment which in London cost too much and my dates are close for 1 month so if put all togheter it’s £1000 worth less in my pocket , also the guest broke some stuff in the room which I had complain abt but up to now , no action is taken against her ... Feeling I been left alone on this one