Bedding

Ryan27
Level 5
Washington, DC

Bedding

I'd appreciate input on an issue I've had as a host for a year and a half now....yes, a long time to not have resolved this on my own.

After I receive a booking, in the 'house rules' they receive, it says to please not use product, whether it be makeup, makeup remover, or skin products, like Proactiv, that bleach or stain the bedding.  I am having bleaching, staining and oily marks left on all bedding: the sheet sets, blankets, comforters, just everything! It's very time consuming and costly! And regardless of figuring out what is doing the staining, being makeup, oily makeup remover, skin products like Proactiv, etc., the problem continues. If I use white sheets with the thought of being able to bleach them, it doesn't resolve the issue because things still stain.  A darker color becomes 'tie-dye' looking after washing after someone sleeps with skin care product on that bleaches, but that result doesn't show up until after washing! So this is affecting all pieces of the bedding and comforters and blankets aren't cheap and if you have extras to replace the ruined ones, there's no closet space! 

I'd appreciate input on how to keep this to a minimum since what I am doing doesn't seem to be helping. Do you suggest that if I do know which guest causes this, like with sheets, to charge them for the sheet set? Comforters and blankets may not be washed after every guest so I can't prove that it was the last guest.  I fear a bad review by making these requests and then if something is ruined, charging them.

Thanks!

45 Replies 45
Teresa102
Level 2
Grants Pass, OR

Regarding stains, my dad had ‘old people skin’ and the tiniest scratch would bleed.  I was constantly trying to find SOMETHING to clean sheets (white cotton) when he stayed over.  Turns out this weird little bottle I only could find at Ace Hardware worked wonders.  Mothers stain remover.  It’s now at Walmart and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I’ve used the big spray bottle, and it does not work as well as the little bottle that dispenses in drops.  A couple if drops, rub them in and let it sit for 20 minutes or so (not much longer) and wash as normal.  It even cleared old set in stains.  

As as a footnote:  I use all white in my two vintage styled AirBnBs.  I launder ALL/EVERY linen between every guest.  We use duvets on feather alternative comforters (lots of folks have feather allergies).   I also use “My Pillows” and launder them every month.  I purchase the Nestl brand bedding.  It seems to hold up fairly well and my guests simply love them.  I get comments nearly every review about how soft the sheets are, and how much they loved them.  I just let them think I pay tons for them.  I have probably 5 sets per bed, but sometimes that doesn’t seem like enough; especially during the summer!   I keep everything organized with wooden cubes from the closet organizers.  I label the bottom of each cube or my turnover assistant (a sweet retired lady who lives to clean, and lives to make her ‘mad money’) will turn my laundry room into a hotbed of crazy in less than 24 hours.  Organization is not her strong suit.  

@DunMovinOregon2018