Beeing accused in a very, very bad way by a guest - any experiences?

Nikolaus14
Level 3
Salzburg, Austria

Beeing accused in a very, very bad way by a guest - any experiences?

Hello to every one.

I had a very bad experiance with a guest, what caused that my life turned up side down!

The issue is, that my guest who just checked in and asked me for help concerning giving some advise for attractions outisde the city. I told her that I have some city guides in the guestroom but nothing outside the city. So I offered her to come over to the living room and to check for some attractions at my laptop. At the living room I asked her if she wants to drink some water, she said no. So asked her waht else she drinks, she answered that the drinks usually wine, so I opened a new bottle of prosecco and poured in a glass. 

We sat down and started to talk while booting up my laptop. We took a sip of our drinks. After 10-15 minutes talking she stood up and left without saying anything. I thought that she went to her guest-bathroom. After 10 minutes I called her, but no reaction. I went to the guestroom and realized that she left the apartment without saying anything and without the key.

I texted her if she's fine and that I was surprised that she left without the key and without a word. 

She answered that she needed some fresh air and will come back to take her purse, because the rain stopped. 

5 minutes later two police officers came and told me that the guest didn't feel good, and that she was accusing me that I've put some K.O. drops or any toxine in her glass. I haven't done anything like that and would never do something like that. That's so insane und unbelievable what she was accusing me.

A CI (criminal investigation) came to take the evidence (liquid or actually prosecco and the glass).  At the same time the guest went with an ambulance and police officer to the hospital. The doctors and nurses couldn't see any symptoms. Even the guest said to them that she's fine. Because she had to pay for a blood test by herself she refused the blood test. Since the doctors and nurses couldn't see any symtoms they released her from the hospital. If she would really be intoxicated they would never let her go in a bad condition. 

Nex day the guest went to the police and accused me that I've intoxicated her.  - That's so insane and mad. 

She even lied, when she said that she felt so bad, with up and downs, but said at the same time to the doctors that she's fine again.  And they released her from the hospital bcauese there were no symptoms.

I've reported that right away to Airbnb. Two days later Airbnb has set my account under quarantaine and after another two days deactivated my account and cancelled all my future bookings! It's a loss of some thousands of Euros.

Now I have to wait for the chemical / toxicological report from the laboratory, that proves that there's nothing in the liquid. 

I’ve met this person for only one hour. I was very friendly and helpful to her like to any guests and all of a sudden this person is accusing me with very bad things, destroying without any reason my reputation, my income and with that my life!!!

That's so mad, because I'm on medical leave from an accident and have no or just a little income because of this accident. So my main income and existance is from Airbnb. 

Does anyone of you had such a bad experiance with guests and how did Airbnb react on that? Is Airbnb taking any reapartion in such cases?

I'm a superhost with more then 170 top ratings (average of 4,9) and great comments. Cause I'm from the hospitality business and was Hotel Manager for various 5* Hotel Operations and know how to provide great service to guests. 

Thank you very much for your feedback and advises.

17 Replies 17
Eric1110
Level 2
Miami, FL

We unfortuntely live in a bizarre time where people can easily make up lies and falsely accuse others.

Best defense is 1) Know the law 2) have security cameras in all public/common areas 3) document every correspondence and 4) ensure every single aspect of your home is clearly outlined e.g. House Manual.

I also wouldnt recommend serving any drinks, especially alcoholic, to guests.. I offer only bottled water, tea and coffee. 

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Nikolaus14 

This is one of the many reasons I keep a certain distance from guests, especially female guests. Men these days have fewer and fewer rights and are guilty until proven innocent.

If your guest was local, it will be much easier to go after her legally. If she was a foreigner, I would not even bother. She sounds like she doesn't have much money to pay even if she was successfully sued. I think the bigger picture/bigger reward is to get back your listing than to sue someone that may or may not be able to compensate you. So i would wait for the results to come back, then hire a paralegal to write a letter to airbnb and hopefully that will be enough. Hiring a paralegal to write a note will be much cheaper then getting a lawyer on a retainer and may be sufficient to get you back up and running.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Eric1110, @Sean433 

You are replying to a thread originally posted in june 2018.

The entire issue is resolved, Nikolaus' listing got reinstated.