Beta: Make guest stays non refundable for 10% discount

Shou-Kee0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Beta: Make guest stays non refundable for 10% discount

Just noticed on my host admin page today a new beta test by Airbnb - 

They have added a new Flexible vs Non refundable policy for guest bookings.

- If they choose the former, your current cancellation policy applies.

- But if they choose the later their booking becomes non refundable but they get 10% off the listed price.

Just to pick your brains what do all of you hosts think of this?

Many thanks!!

112 Replies 112

@Lizzie - So do you want us to share our questions and findings here in THIS thread or are you going to post a thread specifically for feedback?  It's important that anyone looking for details about this Beta Test can find the ACCURATE answer instead of speculation on our part.  It doesn't matter to me, but we probably don't want 4 or 5 threads out there talking about it and giving different answers.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Alice-and-Jeff0

As this is an active conversation and we already has some feedback here, I think it is best to share it here and I will pass it on to the team. I don't presently have any more information on this apart from the information that has already been shared with you. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie

The obvious unanswered question is how non-refundable is non-refundable vs extenuating circumstances, change dates etc - why not have a blog or far where these new features are announced which could answer these questions ?

Is it 10% off the entire price (inc cleaning fee), or just the base price ? Given that the Airbnb website at least in North America only shows the base price on the map it's hard to know.

Indeed the difficulty in searching by price on the website is so overwhelming that I gave up trying to book an Airbnb over Xmas 😞 And I have been using it for 2.5yrs...

So here are my questions: 

1. How does this get presented to the guest? At what point in the work flow for a booking will the guest be able to make this selection? 
  2. Will this be a searchable item like "family friendly", "Superhost", etc.? 
  3. How do we know if the guest has chosen this option in our reservations? We definitely need to know this in case the guest asks questions from us about it. 
  4. How does this affect the Smart Pricing model? 
  5. How does this affect the discounts we already provide for longer-term stays?  Which discount is applied first (because my 5% off on a 3-night stay will be very different if you apply the 10% before or after this discount)?
  6. Are there conditions besides Extenuating Circumstances that would exempt a guest from the non-refundable policy?  Will Extenuating Circumstances change? 
  7. What is the difference between the 2 Beta Tests?  One is for a 7% surcharge (explain what they mean by this) and the other is for a 10% discount.  
  8. What is the link to explain this policy to the guest?  It's not in the Cancellation Policies now.  
  9. Can we granularly apply this to Special Offers?  Meaning, if a guest reaches out and asks for a discount, can we say "Sure you can get an additional 10% with a non-refundable cancellation" and make that the only option they have to choose when accepting the special offer?  
  10. Does the Non-refundable policy override the 48-hour grace period on all cancellation policies? 

I'm sure I'll have more over time....

@Alice-and-Jeff0

Assuming that Airbnb has product managers who work on these features, it would be great if they would write a blog and allow us to ask questions before the features go live. Those of us who work for other software companies do this as part of our daily job...

Agreed @Pete0.  Can't tell you how many times I've asked for use cases just so I can see what the work flow would be of their "new feature".  

Just had a guest book who we know well.  Asked her about being offered the options.  She said she was offered to pay half now/half later and then was asked to accept the Moderate Policy.  

SO....

I assumed that if a guest chooses 1/2 and 1/2 payment, they do not get the option of getting a discount (which would be good!).  However, our friend says she paid in full, so I have no idea. 

@Lizzie- So the basic question: 

1. Under what conditions will the guest be given the option to choose from cancellation policies?  
  2. If a guest chooses one cancellation policy and decides they would prefer the other, can that guest change policies without cancelling their reservation?  Especially since a guest who cancels cannot rebook for the same dates at the same location without assistance from a host.  Is this an item, like number of guests or dates of booking, that a host can send to the guest as a reservation change? 
  3. As others have mentioned with regards to the current options a guest has for cancelling, how does this play with a Guest Refund?  What criteria will Airbnb put into place for when a guest can claim a refund post check in? We already experience a fair amount of scamming by guests for refunds post check in.  Someone only needs to read Reddit for a minute to see this. 

Again, I'm sure there will be more..... 

@Alice-and-Jeff0     all great questions.

@Lizzie   Please clarify:

-   Are extenuating circumstances applicable to any of the non-refundable reservation offers? 

-   Are there any circumstances whereby a refund could/would be issued to a guest who has purchased a non-refundable reservation?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ange2 I found this is in the help center, guests will get refunds if they moan about something.

• Airbnb will mediate when necessary, and has the final say in all disputes.

Untitled4.jpg

@Jeff158    Thank you.  Would be good to know if that is applicable to what is essentially a new cancellation policy: a  100% 'Non-Refundable' Cancellation Policy that is bound by a discount given or a premium paid.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Lizzie,

Under these new non-refundable policies: Would guests be refunded for nights not stayed, when they get expelled from the accommodation. For instance: Because of breaking house rules (including staying with more persons than stated in the reservation)?

@Alice-and-Jeff0 Indeed very good questions! 

@Alice & Jeff

I just went to see your listing and this is what I see :

alice.png

(sorry... for some reason part of my comment was cut off )

... then I tried to book and here is what I see:

alice1.png

so I am confused... do you have NON REFUNDABLE or MODERATE - FREE CANCELLATION policy?

Where can I choose non refundable to get a discount?

Where is written that I can get a discount?

If I click on "more details" link it just take me to the regular cancellation explanation page

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

Is there anyone out there, any host, who really believes thair airbnb, a company that

often doesn't enforce current strict or moderate cancellation policies, often supercedes the hosts and offers cancellation or refunds to guests for reasons unknown, is going to enforce this one?

This, again, seems like a change for little benefit or purpose to anyone.  Guests and hosts already have multiple options on cancellation policy. 

I believe the benefit is to universally drive down price by 10%, thus hopefully increasing bookings, and they take a larger % to make up for lower prices so the winner is.... Airbnb !

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Exactly @Pete28, its all about airbnb prices being the lowest, lower than booking .com, homeaway, trip advisor etc. The only cancellations I've ever had would still be refunded with this scheme, so its not for me.