Blackout

Chong1
Level 3
Sabah, Malaysia

Blackout

Hi,

Wanna ask if anyone has had the unfortunate experience of having a power outtage while hosting guests? It's affecting the whole area of the town so there's nothing I can do about it other than apologising to the guests & hoping the power company will fix it soon, it has almost been an hour now. What's the duration of blackout before I should consider offering a compensation? Are hosts liable for this kind of unforeseen circumstances? Please share your opinions, thank you

3 Replies 3
RobandAnna0
Level 3
Boston, MA

You have no control over losing power so no I don't think you need to compensate. If there was no power due to your lack of care then yes you'd need to offer some compensation.
Chong1
Level 3
Sabah, Malaysia

However this still caused discomfort & inconvenieced my guests. Hope it will not lead to a bad review, their first night here, might leave a bad impression.

If the town is blacked out a reasonable person would not hold you responsible. Explain how rare it is giving them some candles, and figure out a way to make it a memorable travel experience for them. Perhaps offer them a bottle of wine and some snacks so they can enjoy the view of stary night. Suggest they take a walk through the town and enjoy the sights. The last time NYC had a blackout it was one of the most memorable nights I've had. Me and my friends walked around Manhattan and met others doing the same. Everyone was social, and outside since the AC wasnt working. Make it memorable!

Best,

Ephraim