Block / Blacklist People

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Block / Blacklist People

First off I am very happy to see there's now an official place for host feedback and featuer suggestions.

I have voiced this concern before and I will say it here again. Hosts need a safe way to block people from contacting them or booking their listings if they have instant book turned on. I have this guest who i have hosted before and do not wish to host again, but now he keeps on booking my listing even though i have already cancelled him and told him i don't want to host him. Already contacted airbnb but if he keeps on booking I might be forced to turn off instant booking. 

49 Replies 49
Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

... only X was present at these times. X tried but could not control his need to discuss loudly. I had the impression to host several persons. I would not host x again and do not recommend him for shared living. "

If he left the place clean, you can still recommend him for full units or soundproof rooms 

Charis5
Level 1
Santa Clara, CA

@Helga29 Thanks very much.

Angela380
Level 2
Austin, TX

OMG...thank you for this forum to express concerns about this thing. I've two really horrible guests in the past 2 weeks in both of my homes. I would never allow them back.  One smoked in the house (pot and cigarettes and it clearly states no smoking on my listing) and used my 2nd guest bedroom that was off limits while I was out of the home, blew up the air mattress and everything and then brought in an extra family with a small child to stay there in my Houston home.   The other Austin guest complained so much the first day about the cleanliness of my home and that she couldn't get the tv and internet to work. I had to literally call her and walk her through it and then she was like oh, my bad, she was putting in the wrong source and password, when I had clearly sent it twice via text.  Then she was upset she didn't see lines in the shag carpeting to show that it had been vacuumed, Also, wanted to do laundry on the first day with my detergent and wanted a new clean sponge to wash her dishes, after I suggested she could have used a clean hand towel or the dishwasher that were both available to her.  Then she was upset that the hot water ran out after her 20 minute shower.  Also, had me call maintenance out that the A/C was out. Yet, it worked fine the day before and the maintenance guy found no issue except that she didn’t have it on auto. I called Airbnb after the millionth question and complaint from this guest.  I had her removed from my home and refunded her all of her money to have her just shut up.  So pissed because she dropped my perfect rating for no reason.  I normally get 5 stars on cleanliness and this chick had an issue and told me that the cleaning fee should have a maid come in when she wanted. I had to explain to her that the cleaning is performed after each guest leaves the home and a maid would not come in for a 3-5 day stay, especially for a 30/night stay. I swear.....dealing with these two guests makes we want to quit airbnb altogether.  Totally want a dislike or block button because I would use the heck out it for these very reasons.   I'm so sorry to hear that it's happened to so many of you as hosts.  These are our homes, not the freakin' four seasons or a shady motel.  My God, these guests need to get a grip. Please know that I wrote a scathing review for each guest and told her to be more independent and did not recommend either for any further rentals. Hope I saved any Austin/Houston people the headaches. 

Andrew-And-Alexis0
Level 1
Sioux Falls, SD

We really need this feature. 
I've been getting harrassing messages from a disgruntled guest (who broke our house rules). A block button would be good enough!

Mark449
Level 1
Coventry, CT

AirBnB can we address this guys concern already?

Joel-and-Dawn0
Level 3
Indianapolis, IN

YES. Airbnb, please listen to the hosts. Allow us the option to block/blacklist an unwanted guest. I had someone contact me about a one-month stay, and he wanted to pay cash, as opposed to going through airbnb. Thankfully, the days he requested got booked by someone else, so I didn't end up having to decline his inquiry, so it turned out ok in the end. However, since I do not want him instant-booking my place, I would like to discretely block him. Airbnb please give hosts the ability to do this.

Alejandro157
Level 2
Stinson Beach, CA

Dear Airbnb, since you don't give us hosts a tool with which to block particular guests, I had to turn off Instant Book on my listing. My reservations have reduced greatly due to this, but the angst is not worth the money to me. So my loss is also your loss.

Get with the program, get a clue. 

Jess49
Level 1
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom

Airbnb,

I echo the hosts' comments here, I would like to block a guest from booking with me again. He has not done anything particularly wrong but I find him too noisy and unclean to have in my home. 

Jimmy48
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Why hast airbnb done anything about this? 

Maya58
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I have instant book on at present although I host in my own home. I love hosting and I've so far had very good experiences. But like others on this thread I'm daunted by the lack of resources for blocking people you don't want to stay. Some people are perfectly good guests, there's no reason not to recommend them to others, but you just didn't enjoy hosting them. 

Also, I noticed that some guests have received distinctly negative reviews but are still able to use instant book despite having the 'recommendations from other hosts' feature turned on. I expected that this feature would mean that guests could only Instant Book if they had been recommended by all the hosts they stayed with. 

The only choice is to remove Instant Book, and that would be a shame as it makes life easier for hosts, guests, and Airbnb.

So please hear us, Airbnb! 

Wei-and-Ting0
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Alright! Good news people, looks like Airbnb has listened. From now on if you give a guest 3 stars or less they will not be able to rebook your listing even with instant book on. Read more: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/New-Get-guests-you-can-trust-every-time/m-p/43251...

We absolutely need a way to block people that are bad guests. I just had this experience and never want that person back. No one would want what this boorish person left me with.

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia

I received an email from Airbnb that there was now a function to block guests.  I think it said we must give them 3 or less feedback. I can't find the email now. Anyone still have the details as I need to leave a review?   And thanx Airbnb for listening.

I have currently decide to turn off instant book because of two unpleasant reservations. I really need more controls of my reservations.  I was told by Airbnb's app that I can cancel the reservations unlimitedly without penalty as long as I am not comfortable with this reservation if I have instant book on, but when I tried to cancel a reservation on the App, I was still warned that I will be charged and lose the eligibility to be a superhost for a year.  When I call Airbnb about this problem, it seems it is a new policy and most agents don't even know that. They still told me that I can only cancel 3 times a year. The long time call for this problem really bothers me and after seriously considering the pros and cons, I finally decide to turn Instant Book off permantly.  I met lots of nice guests, but there are always some jerks there and I hope I will never meet them again in the future. 

Selçuk0
Level 2
İstanbul, TR

This is definitely a must have feature for hosts to maintain their security and their rights regardless of they use Instant Booking or not.

@Wei-and-Ting0 had explained it clearly very long time ago.

It is just not understandable that hosts are not allowed to choose whom not to host (or whom not to host again)!

Urgently needed!