Boil Water Notice

Andrea2065
Level 2
Austin, TX

Boil Water Notice

Hey y’all !! Maybe y’all know about the “historic flooding” in central Texas. I have guests coming for the next few weeks (just had my first AirBnB guest this weekend). Well my city is now under their first ever boil water notice. I feel like my city is making a mountain out of a molehill as I have been drinking tap water all weekend and fine. Must I disclose this prior to their check-in ? I am at a sushi restaurant right now as I am typing this and the fish and water tasted fine. Last week we were also under a Flash Flood Watch that never happened bc the rain never came, now the city has issued another watch... what must I disclose to my guest prior to their check in and how far in advance do I give the message ? I told my first guest about the watch and it wound up being a beautiful weekend. Just curious for anyone’s advice 

13 Replies 13
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Of course you have to disclose a boil water notice to guests that are coming. Unless you are out testing water at a variety of locations and have the appropriate advanced degrees, your opinion on the official warnings is really irrelevant.

Perhaps you can arrange to have a 5 gallon water dispenser installed in your house and have jugs that fit available for you incoming guests?

I have filtered water through my fridge. And I have been drinking it and feel fine. I already include bottled water and champagne (chocolates too) and any other alcohol on my house in my rental. I guess I am more concerned about the Flash Floor Watch, which they issued last week but never happened. I told my first guest about it but the weather was sunny and no rain. But now there is another one they issued. Do I just advise them “Turn Around! Don’t Drown!” When they get here or tell them in advance ? 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Good grief, of course you must disclose it, and do what you can to mitigate the nuisance, as @Susan151 suggests. Imagine if you didn't and your guest got sick. 

Like I said I have filtered water and bottled water already. Also, this only my second guest, as to why I am asking. No need to be over dramatic about it. And I am more concerned about the flash flood watch, however if we had one last week and nothing happened. It barely rained. And don’t get me wrong, I was born and raised on Miami and have been through Cat 4-5 hurricanes. I feel my new City is making a mountain out of molehill with the boil water. I drank tap water all weekend prior to the notice of boil water and I am fine. My new City doesn’t seem to know how to react to weather. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Andrea2065 the consequences of unhappy guests due to host inaction are much worse than the consequences of losing a booking, especially when you have a new listing that will live or die based on your reviews. This is an opportunity to show your guests that you care. Message them as soon as you are aware of any warning, directing them to official information about it and telling them what you will do to accommodate. Obviously with the flash flood warning there's nothing you can do, but with the water issue there definitely is. In your place I would offer them a penalty-free cancellation. If they cancel, you are out some cash. If they come anyway you have given them a good reason to give you a great review. If you don't warn them, and they are unhappy or worse, ill (imagine if someone is immunocompromised) you are in for a scathing review, de-listing, or worse. It is not up to you to decide for guests how seriously to take the warnings.

Andrea2065
Level 2
Austin, TX

Done and done !! Was more concerned about the flooding... I have been drinking tap water for days and had sushi as well. Plus I provide bottled water and other goodies. Go easy on a new host 😜

Andrea2065
Level 2
Austin, TX

And my city is over reacting... I am from Florida where the tap water is barely drinkable but we still drank it 😕

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I get it-- we have listings on a lake that frequently has a toxic algae "caution." We swim anyway when we are there. But we make sure to alert guests how to get the official info so they can make their own decision, because attitudes and susceptibilities vary widely-- and because we don't want to be sued if something goes wrong.

And I just did... this guest is being very unresponsive already so was just wondering... and again going back to the floods bc I told my first guest about them and we had nothing but dry weather all weekend 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Andrea2065

In my state we used to depend on water from this countries one major river system during the drier months....The problem with this was we are at the end of that river system and used to end up getting a couple of thousand miles of other peoples sh*t.......yes choice!

We have solved that now with a massive desalination plant but prior to that opening  3 years ago most households here put in their own filtration systems to the incoming water supply. They were not very expensive and got around this problem. 

I am sure similar would be available in the US and this would possibly get around situations like this one!

You only have to lose a few days worth of bookings and you would have paid for one, and everyone benefits!

Might be worth a look around!

https://www.mywaterfilter.com.au/whole-house-water-filters/

Cheers.....Rob

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea2065 The fact that you drank the tap water all weekend and feel fine is immaterial. There are many intestinal parasites that don't create an immediate feeling of being ill, but that can lead to future chronic health problems. It is a public health dept's mandate and responsibility to issue warnings if there is any possible reason to suspect that water may not be safe to drink and should and will err on the side of caution. Cholera and typhoid are serious health threats in flood situations. 

We just had a serious Cat. 5 hurricane here. It passed by my area before moving northeast. We had heavy rains (and it's still heavily raining) some wind, and am sure there is some flooding around, but I haven't ventured out to look. Everyone around here gassed up their cars, made sure they had a supply of food and water and other emergency items handy, secured all things that could blow around and cause damage if the hurricane did hit. 

When a potential natural disaster luckily passes by without too much effect or damage, most people feel lucky, rather than berate their local authorities for issuing warnings meant to keep people safe.

It’s not “official” official.... like no restrictions or fines. I have already notified my non-responsive guest about it. I already have bottled water here and offered to get more. And I am sorry about the PanHandle. I am a native Floridian and have been a lot of Cat 3-5s plus the ones that don’t show up. Keep safe !! Thank you for the tip !!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Andrea2065  It is offical! You not only need to inform your guests about the boil order, but allow them to cancel under extinuating circumstances penalty free. I have a notice on my listing about the flooding asking me to open up my property. I am in the San Antonio area. This is not a just ignore matter. 

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Residents of the Texas state capital are being ordered to boil their tap water before drinking after flooding in recent weeks filled the lakes that supply Austin with silt, mud and debris.

The city of Austin said in a statement Monday that the water needs extended filtration and treatment before it will be safe to consume.

Flooding prompts boil-water notice for Austin, Texas

Austin Water's more than 1 million customers have been told to boil water intended for drinking, cooking and making ice, and avoid drinking fountains. The San Antonio Water Service, which depends on artesian wells, is sending more than 5,000 gallons of drinking water in tankers to Austin.

There is no indication of bacterial infiltration. However, Austin Water warned that insufficiently treated water could contain bacteria, viruses, and parasites that can cause diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches and other illness. It said infants, young children, some of the elderly and people with severely compromised immune systems also would be at risk.

The boil-water notice prompted a rush on bottled water at grocery stores such as H-E-B, where shelves were emptied of supplies.

Starbucks shops suspended service of any coffee and espresso until the boil-water notice is lifted. It would continue to serve bottled and packaged products.

Mayor Stever Adler says that "the unprecedented rain and runoff through our entire lake system has simply overwhelmed our treatment capacity."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/texas/article/Flooding-prompts-boil-water-notice-for-Austin-133261...

Screenshot (215).png