Bookings have dried up completely - NEED HELP!

Amelia10
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Bookings have dried up completely - NEED HELP!

My first time posting here, out of desperation. (I hadn't even been aware of this forum until now). Airbnb has become a bit too complicated for me. It seems you have to be always on top of the latest changes, starting from Instant Booking, then Superhost, then AirBnB plus, collections, what next??

I guess I have become a bit too complacent and now I have completely fallen by the wayside. When I joined AirBnB over 5 years ago I was always completely booked, up until last year, when I had a quiet spell during the low season. But this year has been completely out of the ordinary.

My apartment is a studio in the centre of Cape Town, really conveniently located in so many ways. I rent it out for longer stays only for several reasons, one being I don't want to annoy my neighbours with constant new check-ins, another that I live 45 kms away and don't want to be driving in and out every couple of days, and prefer to do the management by myself. I really prefer the quality of guest (usually travelling lecturers or researchers, or location independent entrepreneurs) coupled with low management responsibilities.

Because of receiving guests who mostly stay for one or two months at a time, I can't make Superhost status because I have too few bookings per year,  despite being fully booked all year long (well, used to be).

I don't qualify for the work collection because self check-in is just not possible in my building (this is true for majority of buildings in Cape Town) because there is a security gate that you need to get through before getting to the lobby, for which you also need a key. Possibly I wouldn't qualify also for turning down a few requests - because of two bad apples I've hosted in the past I now vet my guests more carefully. 

AirBnB Plus also doesn't seem like a good fit as, although my studio is really nice and clean, it is still budget accommodation. I also had to cancel a booking for the first time in my life because the guy was going psycho on me before even checking in. I just didn't feel comfortable with him at all! So I don't qualify for another year, I guess.

I can hardly find my apartment in the search results now. I've booked a photographer for next week to come and take some professional pics. I'm worried this expense will not do much good. I have always thought my mediocre pics to be a positive, as guests are always very pleasantly surprised to find something much better than they expected, which leads to great reviews. 

I have also dropped my prices to AirBnB's (ridiculous) suggestions, but still have not received a single enquiry. Instead AirBnB sent me a tip to drop my prices again. 

Oh, and I have changed my heading from "The Green Room Gardens Apartment" to "The VIEW!! ★ Perfect for Longer Stays". I had wanted to make it "The VIEW!! ★ Perfect for Longer Stays ★ Steps from Shopping and Public Transport" but that was exceeding the character limit by a mile. 

Is the only way to get my bookings back to do a complete renovation and upgrade my apartment to a luxury apartment, along with giving it to some agency to manage so that I can accept short-term bookings and instant booking?? Or is there something left that I can do that will actually make a difference? I have an average 5 star reviews in all categories. I'm feeling so sad and broke right now, while the bills keep piling up. 

46 Replies 46
Amelia10
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Paul154 Thank you, yes I am sure you are right about the need to reinvent my listing. I did look into a couple of things. I've listed on Tripadvisor but have not got any love from there so far. When I have my professional pics I shall add more listings on various websites. 

My apartment block is full of retirees, mostly from Europe. My immediate neighbour was a lovely elderly gentleman from France. He has just recently passed away. He never gave me any grief, but I didn't want to give him any reason to be upset. He was the sort of neighbour that would always keep a look out for you - I needed him in my corner.

Haha, I had no idea about Americans' squeemishness about toilets. But good to know! My lot would only be put off if it was a pic of a dirty toilet. 

Yes, the tower block rises out of the shopping mall. Fortunately it is an up-market sort of place, very popular for tea and lunches with the European crowd. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Amelia10

as others mentioned, call Airbnb and ask for the cancellation to be removed. It is effecting your standing as well as guest's interest in booking. Don’t worry about identifying the guest to us. It would be pretty hard for us to truly figure out who he is and we will not do anything with the info

@Amelia10

I can tell you have a beautiful place and I think professional photos could really help show it off better, in the way it deserves. You need to:

-WOW people with the view through the windows (how it looks from the bed, from the living room, etc— That one shot you have of the kitchen island with the living room and the gorgeous view outside- imagine if that was a professional wide angle photo? Your place would look incredible.)

-have better lighting to make the space seem cheerful. The photos are lacking cheer. And I can tell your apartment has that. It looks dark and kind of cold and I don’t think that’s the feeling at all when you’re inside.

- have better broad angles to make it look bigger (One reviewer mentioned that he was surprised at the size of the place and that the photos didn’t express that. If anything I think a listing photo should do the opposite)

I suggest immediately losing the mid shot of the toilet. It looks very cold and sterile. My eye was wanting to inspect the grout lines for cleanliness. I would suggest just take a photo of the entire bathroom from further away. And maybe add a colored bathmat, like a cheerful, soft green or blue. 

Love the towels on the bed. Cleanliness and serenity very much come across.  I can tell it even smells nice there. I would just pay for the photos to add the wow and the cheer. And the true size.

Make sure the internet speed is awesome and say it is. One guest wrote “central without noise”- comment on this too— how quiet it is.

your place is really darling and it total competes with everything else I see under your area. I think the photos would really help. And maybe a little more warmth in your description. Sell it better— Could start with a dream scenario that only your place can provide: “Wake up in the heart of town to gorgeous views and a fabulous Supermarket Plaza right downstairs! Enjoy the quietness while being central to it all!!” A bit more cheerful, warm and zany is the theme for me on this! Maybe even fresh flowers! You could say “Fresh flowers greet you in my fully stocked kitchen” 

Hope this helps and I hope you get the business you deserve!!!! 

@Kristina192 Thank you so much. All very helpful and positive tips that make me feel a lot more upbeat about everything. I will do some styling for the photos to make sure the character comes across just as you describe. Thank you!

Thais-and-Luiz0
Level 7
New York, NY

In fact I believe Airbnb has been updating its algorithm constantly, so you need to be constantly updating information. Block and release dates, change the title, tweak prices ...
I have an Airbnb here in New York I have a considerable number of reservations, but I realize that things are changing, so I am also improving my Airbnb. The main focus and the host, take everything that is very personal from home, photos of families, things that only have meaning for you. Leave the place lighter and brighter, remove unnecessary parts. Buy some cheap decoration items that attract attention and a modern character, and worry about the amenities for guests, coffee machine, coke, etc ...
I hope I have helped.

@Thais-and-Luiz0  I don't mind updating my info and photos from time to time, but I'll be damned if I'm going to change my decor (which my guests love) to conform to some Airbnb generic-looking standard.

HI Amelia, 

I was getting cheapskates (mostly Australians,  bogans, smokers, entitled, not good Guests)  so I had professional photos done and put up the price. 

I also stopped taking smokers AT ALL & put this in my intro. For a few days i wasn't getting bookings, now I am again. 

I am getting people who confirm they are not smokers are are glad no smokers are allowed here.   And a balance of overseas people and locals. 

I find that Australian pensioners are not good Guests, they are rude, entitled and don't bother reading House Rules or sticking to them. haha, and don't leave hot chocolate , they take them! 

Maybe you could ask a Friend to give styling tips before photos are given?

And perhaps read suggestions from Airbnb, and other listings writeups, as to what to say..i read one where Hosts describe as a warm and welcoming space.   I use the word Cosy in winter. Also private is good. 

And how it's insulated so tending to be warm in winter and cooler in Summer (plus i put in aircon) . Plus the insulation gives quiet and privacy.  

I have a nice garden so I do advertise mine as having a garden sitting area and pretty garden, so i tend to also attract gardeners. I also put in two cheapish Yoga mats for Guests to practice.  I have a picnic basket for Guests to take out with freezer brick in freezer and small cooler also. 

So I think emphasise things that are unique to yours, or things that are for Guests comfort. And things that may attract the kind of GUests who are ideal. Even if you say the obvious, it makes them think you show a lot of attention to detail, for instance. 

But reading othet Hosts profiles I think is very good, you get great ideas.

And read local ones so you can emphasisie your good points.  For instance someone right beside me has an airbnb that's $15 cheaper than mine per night.  So I say 'your unit has a separate bedroom (hers doesn't) so you can shut the door & sleep in if your travelling Companion wants to get up, make a cuppa, have a shower.  

I also suggest local things to get them ready for trip when i discover what they are here for... for instance there is a "44 free things to do in Brisbane' which i suggest gives an overview.  And that I'm happy to answer questions re their pending trip.  

I do hope your Bookings pick up! The forums are great! 

Jan

James1115
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Hello, I am a Superhost with a lot of experience. I've been a full-time Realestate investor since 2000. I once had 250 units but have scaled down over the years to now just 47 units. I mentor other investors & Bnb hosts. 

Consider co-hosting your listing with a Superhost to get your listing more exposure. You will pay a small percentage to the co-host for the booking but it's only after its booked & The return on your investment makes worth it. The Superhost co-host does not have to be in your area. 

Also I have a couple of little tricks that I use to get higher views which turn into more bookings. Most Bnb'ers don't either don't know about or don't do properly. Your listing will definitely benefit from them. 

If you are interested chatting about co-hosting I would welcome the communication. 

Blessings 

Jim 

585-743-9778 

Jimg1109@gmail.com 

Carole341
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Live in Edinburgh and find that bookings are very very slow this year compared to last year, maybe more people hosting for Airbnb now and charging a much cheaper rate , but I also co host for people and they have hardly any bookings now . 

I feel something is not right , lots of changes on site and people not as happy as they used to be.

i love Airbnb and it has given me a job when I decided to finish /retire in my normal hectic life.

i receive numerous emails telling me to boost my appeal with lower prices but minimum night changes, but having guests for one night is just a waste of time, washing towels , bedding and not getting things dried because of bad weather is frustrating. 

@Carole341  I agree- I have a 3 night minimum, because it simply isn't worth it to me to clean the guest's room and bathroom (which I do spotlessly and takes me 1 and a half to 2 hours), not to mention washing bedding and towels, for a stay that is less than that, on a $28 US/night accomodation.

in my case, I don't think it affects my booking rate much at all, since most people come here on vacation for a week or two, they're not just passing through for the night.

@Carole341  It takes a brave honest host to say what you just said. "I feel something is not right". 

I totally agree with your view.

My question  to airbnb programmers are:

Why are the reputable listings missing from search in CBD listings. The CBD listings are mish mash of messy compilations of badly reviewed listings/really cheap listings only or unavailable listings ?. Most times inner city listings are not even in this search and not shown at all. So people looking need to virtually spend entire hours looking. They do collections but people are not looking in those either. 

Are there only bargain hunters on this flatform now?

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Syl0

Yes it is mainly bargain hunters using air bnb now.

Carole341
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hi,

after making that comment I had 22 yes twenty two bookings in 48 hours. 

I find that very odd too.

now things have dried up again and my clients have had nothing either.

Grace329
Level 5
Johannesburg, South Africa

I have been happy with Airbnb but the moment I became Superhost last week i have not had a single inquiry and my listing has also been moved from Hartbeespoort Dam to Hartbeespoort general area.

I also feel something is not right. Am buffled.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Carole341

I was wondering whether it was just me!

Glad another fellow host thinking along the same lines.

Problem is that air bnb has mushroomed exponentially in my area this year, with a race to the bottom,regarding price and the resulting reduced quality of guest that you invite into your family home.

I am refusing to hop on the merry go round of low pricing, advocated by air bnb.

I prefer to leave my space empty than invite entitled guests such as this pair from Salt Lake City, Utah.

What has boiled my onion, is air bnb blocking reviews such as mine below, warning other hosts of who precisely we are inviting into our home, as the platform operates on a large amount of trust.

Hi Julie
Thanks for reaching out and declining to pay for the use of my washing machine and electric tumble drier

I love feedback whether it is positive or negative. I especially like feedback like this so others can see the “entitled” guests I sometimes have to deal with.

There is a large element of trust in being an air bnb host and I feel that trust has been eroded by a guest who does not care about honouring the £10 fee clearly stated in my air bnb listing for use of my laundry facilities in my family home.

Yes.....it’s my home, not some hotel or large corporation such as Hilton or Google who can forgo the odd Ten Bucks.

In fact it is the home of a retired senior, a woman in her sixth decade.
Particularly galling, as this gullible senior, also waived her Strict cancellation policy and let you change your booking from 2 nights stay to a 1 nights stay ( at your request, a couple of days prior to your arrival) FREE OF CHARGE and this senior also lost £62.50 in payment into the bargain!

I appreciate any guest who chooses to spend their money in my family home until they act like like this and tries to make it up to me by promising to write me a nice review.

You can pen whatever review you wish and I won’t lose a second of sleep over it.

The only thing I have lost this season, is trust in the “ entitled” guests that seem to be increasingly using the air bnb platform for a cheap deal, rather than being genuinely part of the sharing economy.

I shared my beautiful modern home with you, I also gave you fresh grown organic fruits of apples and plums to eat on your onward journey ( as part of my warm hospitality) but Im afraid I do not wish to be part of any deal!....whether bartering down a price for my accommodation or getting your money’s worth or even getting a good review as quite frankly I’m quite appalled by your attitude.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday in Scotland.