Breakfast for Chinese guests

Aom-And-Fred0
Level 2
Choeng Thale, Thailand

Breakfast for Chinese guests

Goodmorning!

We have 2 high end villas in Phuket, Thailand and standard we have delicious breakfast for all guests.

Does anybody has a suggestion what to cook for them?

Most of our Chinese guests are frequent travelers and high class.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Fred ****

Villa on the Rocks

Villa in the Garden

Phuket

13 Replies 13
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Aom-And-Fred0,

Lovely to meet you. Thanks for starting this discussion. 

Can I ask what do you normally cook your guests normally?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

We get more and more Chinese guests.

Normally we pamper the guests with fresh baquette, warm croissants, ciabatta, toast.

Salami, cheese, smoked salmon. 3 different jams, cerials.

Yoghurts, fresh tropical fruit plate. 3 fruit juices, milk, coffee (espresso machine), tea, mineral water,

Choise of 6 different egg styles, poached eggs with truffle and smoked salmon etc.

The HK Chinese liked it, but the mainland Chinese were not so happy, so we cooked fried rice, rice soup, spring rolls to make them more happy.

But I read on internet that the Chinese are more happy with Chinese food.

Any suggestions?

By the way (1), I saw that there is an Airbnb website in Russian, but is there also a website for China?

Some of the Chinese guests don't speak English at all.

By the way (2), I get inquiries from guests with a name in Chinese. Sometimes I get 6 bookings from different Chinese all with Chinese caraters.

I get totally confused who is who.

Sunny regards,

Fred [Surname hidden]

Villa in the Garden

Villa on the Rocks

Phuket

Thailand

@Aom-And-Fred0

I was in a hotel (business trip) that had a LOT of chinese guests a couple months ago and noticed that congee, fried rice, noodles (pho), and dumplings seemed popular. I'm a toast, yogurt, coffee person so I could feel the stares as I ate my buttered toast with coffee 🙂

Hi Fred,

There's about a dozen very common Chinese surnames.  The first character is the surname, so I would print a list of common Chinese surnames and just write next to the Chinese character Mr. Wong, Mr. Chan, etc. etc.  This would help you to distinuish them.

I would say that the HK chinese are more food snobs than the mainland Chinese.  Mainly because a lot of food in mainland china is not that great comparatively so the standard is lower compared to HK.

Chinese love seafood!  If you don't have budget for seafood (crab, oyster, abalone, sea cucumber, scallops are favourites), then they are also ok with the basics like noodle (have different types, instant, udon, soba), and ingredients for the noodles such as wontons, choy sum (vegetables) or lettuce, etc.  A very common breakfast in HK consists of bread/toast, eggs, and noodles with char siu (pork), satay beef, spam like meat slice or ham slice -- really you need all of these choices because if you leave one out then it really kills the feeling/mood, and for drinks look up hong kong iced milk tea, have thai tea too!, hong kong iced coffee, iced lemon tea, iced chocolate, milk for kids.  It's not necessarily to make it too western -- I don't think they will have much feeling on the food, try to do something different for each person to make them feel special will go a longer way.  Maybe a free gift (a Phuket magnet) or something.

So sorry to answer so late. I never did before , I just read your answer. Thanks for the tips. We have a lot of Chinese guests now. Happy Valentine!

Fred

Phuket

Thailand

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Aom-And-Fred0

If it is possible for you, i suggest some good traditional things of your country and city, cause i think that people travel to experience and try some new things of other cultures. 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

Congee (rice porridge with various toppings, mostly savory)

Fried dough sticks, similar to unsweetened crullers*

Hot soy milk*

Shaobing:  round, flakey, layered  flatbreads, often topped with sesame seeds*

Tea eggs

There are exceptions, but many Mainland Chinese are not that excited about eating foreign foods. 

*These items tend to be more popular in Northern China. 

Source: Many trips to Beijing. This is what my Chinese in-laws eat for breakfast and what you see Chinese guests in local hotels picking from the breakfast buffets.

Thanks Julie,

We give it a try! Biggest problem is to teach our Thai and Burmese staff.

Greetings from sunny and beautiful Phuket,

Aom and Fred

I have a fool-proof formula for Congee cooked in a pressure cooker, if you would like it.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Aom-And-Fred0. I make my Chinese guests congee. Simple rice porridge. And though I offer so many other things, this is what they always order. Since your guests are more "high end," add the extras–some fish, thousand year old egg or soft poached egg, pork floss, scallions, and of course some chili oil or for those from Canton, freshly ground white pepper. If my prices were higher, I would have a Congee "bar" with many delicacies that could be added. The other thing that all my Chinese visitors have eaten with gusto is fresh fruit, especially berries and melons. I cut the larger fruit into smaller sizes so no cutting is needed. It doesn't matter how much fruit I put on the table, it is always gone.

Steamed buns and dumplings, you can buy them frozen, good quality.  Or my favorite, sticky rice with peanuts.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yum! This discussion is making me hungry. I love steamed buns @Ange2, I remember when I was younger I use to call these edible clouds! 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

........and Peking duck! Mmmmmmmm

Fred