Business Airbnb’s/ shortlettings unfair advantage?

Oxpad0
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

Business Airbnb’s/ shortlettings unfair advantage?

We considered turning our apartment and another house to a local shortlettings company, who made no secret about their close relationship with Airbnb including recent meetings.

This was  couple of months ago and we’re still pondering. 

I am suspicious that since this meeting took place we have not had the volume of bookings that we normally have.

is it possible that this short letter can somehow influence our bookings?

has anyone experience of hosthacking to reduce the competitiveness of others in the area?

....love Airbnb and probably being unlucky, but stranger things have happened!

2 Replies 2
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It's no mystery that booking.com offers better exposure for a higher commission, @Oxpad0. I wouldn't be surprised if airbnb were hiding that kind of secret from hosts. Another factor in the competition is prices - check how much those around you charge. Finally, there is a whole list of how positioning in airbnb's search results works. Can't find it now myself, typing on the phone.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you sound a little paraonoid @Oxpad0 to be honest. An Airbnb Management company won't be able to affect your listing ranking.

There are any number of factors that affect bookings. If you are in the US there is the Trump effect on international tourism figures reducing, you could be in off season, there could be more hostings, your pricing could be wrong, you could have poor reviews, your photos might not sell your listing.