Bye bye Airbnb

Anne1325
Level 9
Melbourne, Australia

Bye bye Airbnb

After 6 months of pretty continuous occupancy of our spare room, we are throwing in the towel. We thought Airbnb would be a fun way to meet people from across the globe whilst making a bit of money on the side. Naively we had dreams of buying a property in the countryside and turning that into an Airbnb, we figured a spare room would be a good place to start before we got there. We no longer harbour that dream.

What we have learned is that Airbnb is not the cozy answer to staying in overpriced hotels, creating a homestay experience and offering guests and hosts ways to connect with each other's cultures. How misguided I was.

In an effort to eliminate all fun on part of the host Airbnb concocted a biased rating system and stringent host requirements, these seemingly designed to make us outcompete 5-star hotels and each other. This is all great news for guests who get more, and more, and more for their buck and, as such, Airbnb, who laughs its way to the bank - for hosts, however, this is lunacy.

In the months we hosted we received 32 pretty much stellar reviews but it came at a cost; lurking on the message board and looking at that gleaming five-star dashboard you'll know what is expected. The welcome baskets, the first class linen and the high-end toiletries that hotels triple your price would offer but also a string of things that hotels most definitely would not offer:

• Accept any old random to keep your acceptance rate up or turn off IB and end up at the bottom of the pile.
  • Whilst we are at it, keep your prices to a laughable sum to appear anywhere in these search results as well.
  • And, of course, accept these any old randoms, for next to nothing, with only a first name to go on.
  • Turn a blind eye to your rules for fear of a retaliatory review. Airbnb doesn’t enforce the rules anyway so tough luck.
  • Also look the other way if a guest breaks something or whatever as they will definitely score you down for that, which amounts to personal experience.
  • Put up with unresponsive guests pending their arrival but get dinged on communication yourself, this regardless of the guest’s level of response.
  • And, of course, my personal favourite; the Airbnb suggestion of ‘baking bread before the guest's arrival' on the forum - just to make the room smell nice. They do luckily understand 'that you don't *always* have time for this'. Try never.

At the Ritz, if you don't follow the rules, you’ll end up on the street or heavily penalised. If you happen to break something, your credit card will be charged, no questions asked. If you do not show up at the restaurant at the time of reservation, your table will be gone. If you decide to check out early, kiss goodbye to the remainder of your money.

This is still considered outstanding hospitality, can you actually believe it?

Of course, Airbnb will not miss our listing and there’ll be plenty waiting to take our place, at ever declining prices I would reckon, so I am under no pretence they’ll lose sleep over it. However, no hosts is no Airbnb so I’m hoping that adding my voice, to the numerous other wonderful hosts on this board, will create some progress for those who think hosting is worth it. 

Keep up the good fight my host friends. For Airbnb, so long and no love lost.

76 Replies 76
Emiliano69
Level 3
Aguadilla Pueblo, Puerto Rico

I totally agree with you @Olivier !

I'm Sorry @Anne1325 about your feelings. I went trough nonsense  momments as a Host with them a few weeks ago, we all do in some point. And we get strongers. As the guys saied dont relate just with them. There are many others webs that you can use and make your dream a solid piece.

Be positeve. You can do it!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Anne1325   I agree, airbnb is no longer a fun way to make some extra money to defray property expenses, it's a highly stressful game of chicken where airbnb is always changing the rules to increase the chance for a bad and destructive guest while at the same time demanding more and more from hosts.

Our most recent experience, awful guests rang the doorbell with a giant gloud of vape smoke and vape pipe in hand?  So, we had to tell them, you understand there is no smoking in the apartment, which set the tone for their stay.  Then, on their first night they broke the less than 2 year old Samsung stove.  They             never apologized for breaking the stove, which we didn't charge them for, because we already know it's pointless to attempt to get any $$ for it.

Of course they gave us a negative review, including 1 star for communication.  It would be funny and not important to have dealt with such jerks, except that airbnb will penalize not the smoking stove breakers, but us.  So, I can't blame you for tiring of the grind, it's not fun anymore.

Since the guest broke your rules, and gave you a retalitory review, airbnb will strike their review and it will not affect you.  I had it done before, you should call and explain and ask them to fix it! Good luck but my advice should work!!

Ale113
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

I totally understand you.

We are thinking on closing one of our rooms, since almost 80% guests has been horrible and unrespectful with the Rules, that most of them are general country rules.

The ONLY reason for the guests (couples) we had was the price was cheaper than a Hotel (even they have written it in a review). Just very sad to have people like this is a place that is intimate, as a home is...

A.

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

Dear Anne, isn't there another platform that is Australia based? I don't want to mention any names but you sound like such a cool & lovely person who, as an amazing host, deserves both amazing guests and a platform that will respect and support your work. Best of luck and may oppernockety tune for you, Sally

Jamie406
Level 2
New York, NY

Hi Anne,

I am also a former host, so can empathize. I am editing a new online magazine and am looking for smart, well-written, not-too-ranty articles across the gamut of temporary housing and hosting experiences. If you think you might be interesting in writing an article, please get in touch (provided that's possible here).

All my best,

Jamie, Aleph Editing

@Jamie406 Happy to throw my two cents in.

I think I've found you online and will drop you a line on the Aleph website.

@Anne1325 

So sorry for your distress. I've had a couple of people who I (in the early days) rated well even though I wouldn't want to see them come back ever.

But you are right - in an effort to increase their occupancy rates (using our inventory to do it) they've gone after low hanging fruit, not been upfront with hosts about the damage guarantee, and pretty much isn't listening to hosts about much of anything. I was at a local meeting of start-ups and was surprised that a local investment counselor used Airbnb as an example of a business that didn't understand its core product or have anyone in upper management assigned to customer service and host management. The moderator called them "young."

I have met interesting people from all over the world, and increased my prices a bit to prevent bargain hunters.

I did taxes this year and realized that providing snacks and water was really adding up. So I'm going to find a way to cut back. But the biggest bane of my existence is that once the city legalized Airbnb, all manner of investors moved in to town. I find it ridiculous when someone has multiple properties they don't live in and can override neighborhood objections for $500 and a simple hearing. Then they charge some low-ball rate to get bookings. My neighbor's bookings are down, he's had to drop his rates, and the neighbor behind him says he's finding the tenant's beer bottles in their yard as they toss them off the porch.

But I'm hanging in there for now. So far I've had nice people and repeat families. But if that goes away I may have to rethink it.

Do what is best for you. I think this thing will shake itself out after a while. I've even stayed with a host and we are now lifelong friends. But Airbnb - rather than make this something magical, is about to destroy it. I find that unfortunate. Maybe they'll wake up. Not holding my breath on that.

Honestly - after asking me to drop my price by a third so I could make a magical $715 in the two days I had open (they suggested I charge $88 a night for those two nights which doesn't add up to $715) I've decided no one up top is driving this train. It's robots. Must be. Because no humans with common sense would run a business this way and treat hosts as if they are collateral damage in the drive to make billions in an IPO. Sigh.

I suspect Airbnb will buy up and create Yotels and Microhotels and kick us all to the curb. If I were younger I'd come up with a host-run platform. lol!

@Christine0 Ha. You are the second one mentioning distress, I'm certainly not that. My acerbic, native Dutch, manner of speech is easily misinterpreted like that.

Correct, it appears no one at the top is running this train, other than perhaps derailing a freight train with a load too large for its size, dumping some of its cumbersome cargo (small-time hosts) and continuing on to the next stop, stock market launch.

Sherry-And-Tom0
Level 1
Evergreen, CO

Oh yes. I get it. After four years of hosting, and constantly getting superhost status and outstanding reviews, I have temporarily delisted my private room and will permanently delist it after the last reservation leaves. It's no fun anymore. Airbnb's nagging about lowering prices while offering more has left me feeling resentful toward guests, each one of whom this year seems to be more demanding than the last. Add the increased demands to the lowered price to what I spend on amenities, water, breakfast and coffee that I provide since we're a distance from town, and it's just not worth the hassle financially. I agree that robots must be running the platform these days -- robots and young people who have never owned a home and don't understand the work, or cost, it takes to keep it up and to keep things fresh for guests. It's obvious Airbnb is only interested in its financial bottom line -- more and more for them, less and less for the hosts. And the guests seem to be tuned in -- expecting more for a quarter the price of the hotel down the road but neglecting to turn off lights and appliances and not even having the courtesy to say what time they will arrive (after being asked three times on both counts). I'm done. 

air bnb constantly telling me to drop prices ...but charging the guest 20% and me an other 3 % and i do all the providing 

John2377
Level 2
Elk Grove, CA

Sorry to hear you had that experience....  

we made our house nearly empty, nearly nothing to steal or break.  The result is a very clean looking house and happy guests.  We don’t probide high quality anything, but we have new sheets, new pillows, free coffee, extreemly fast wifi, tv & netflix in each room (3 separate rooms like a mini hotel) a keyless entry, ring doorbell for monitoring.    We’ve had only 2 bad customers out of 514 reviews.  And if someone leaves a retalitory review, airbnb will take it down if they broke house rules.  So put all your house rules in writing, as soon as they break one, call them

out on it, if they don’t correct it, kick em out with no refund.  And if they try to trash your rating, airbnb will back you up.   It really sounds like you’re not working the system to your advantage.  Cuz its great for us.

@John2377

Visit these blogs on a regular basis and you'll see that your experience is not that of the most host with a grievance, where their house rules have been flaunted by guests with complete immunity and retaliatory reviews.

I’m often reminded of this William Blakes poem  when I see Chesky sitting on his high stool pontificating

"What is the price of Experience? do men buy it for a song? 
Or wisdom for a dance in the street? No, it is bought with the price
Of all that a man hath, his house, his wife, his children.
Wisdom is sold in the desolate market where none come to buy,
And in the wither'd field where the farmer plows for bread in vain. 

It is an easy thing to triumph in the summer's sun
And in the vintage and to sing on the waggon loaded with corn.
It is an easy thing to talk of patience to the afflicted,
To speak the laws of prudence to the houseless wanderer,
To listen to the hungry raven's cry in wintry season
When the red blood is fill'd with wine and with the marrow of lambs." 

Excerpt only to long to post

@Cormac0 

Love that poem, and so very appropriate. Did you have it for your Leaving Cert? 😉

No, Susan, I did not have in on my leaving cert thank you for asking.

Van Morrison occasionally mentions William Blake in his songs and that peak my interest, so l googled it and started to read his poems.

Blake is also the inspiration for the quintessentially British song/hymn  "Jerusalem", on the day that PM May resigned thought I’d additionally post a link to boy up our U.K. friends while they embrace the catastrophe called Brexit.

https://youtu.be/bKaJ4b0XYmI