Call for more attention to composing guest reviews!!!

Answered!
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Call for more attention to composing guest reviews!!!

Hi all,

Although I have seen posts providing tips about composing and evaluating guest reviews here and there on the forum, I still would like to start a thread to call for more attention to composing guest reviews!

The reason is because I have seen too many positive guest reviews, some of which may not truthfully reflect the guest's personlaity, lifestyle, manners and behaviours. General and vague reviews may mislead other hosts, let alone inaccurate reviews.

- Everyone has an issue in some sense. Instead of saying he or she is a joy to host, you should identify what strikes you most about this guest's personality, lifestyle, manners and behaviours. For example, if this guest is super friendly, clean and tidy, but tends to take over your kitchen by cooking too much, this can be a non- issue to some hosts, but can be an issue to some others. So, it would be great if you could state it in your review for the sake of other hosts. 

- If the guest is not terrible and not wonderful either, it is more important to be as descriptive as possible, because we want to know who is going to enter our open house! Many guests I guess would fall into this category and we gotta be more careful about what we put in the review. 

- Be specific in your review so we can determine if we can handle this guest's issue or not. For example, I see that one of my guests' revious review indicates this group is "diasppointing." How? In what areas? As a matter of fact, when I'm hosting him, he IS disappointing! I only regret 1) that I did not track his previous reviews further 2) did not ask the previous host to elaborate what about his guest disappointed him. 

Truly important.

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huaai0 it is possible, but I think more likely it is their way of weeding out the hosts with listings that aren't really available or very rarely available. Of course, those hosts could simply block the unavailable dates, but there are circumstances where you're not 100% sure. For example, I'm currently waiting on confirmation of a work trip taking place in a couple of months time, but the person organising it is on a long holiday so I'm having to wait a few weeks. In the meantime, I'm getting lots of requests for those exact dates.

I don't to block them because it's only a short trip and I could lose longer bookings. I'm okay with leaving guests longer term guests here with my housemate, but I can't do check in on those dates.

View Best Answer in original post

159 Replies 159

I totally agree with your idea. I did have two guests who did exactly what you said (about the toilet and kitchen and things..), and I don't like it. I think it's important for us as hosts to know theses issues. 

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

Yes.  It is a difficult one.  I have been giving less stars for the things like "Following the house rules".  As my only problem so far has been guests being noisy after 10.30pm  (I have neighbours to consider as well as myself).  I have hoped that other hosts will see this and as you say, read between the lines.  If I really didn't like the guest, I don't leave a review but ask Airbnb to point the problem out to the guest .... no idea if they do though.  I did have one regular guest who took over my kitchen whenever he felt like it without checking if it was convenient to me or the other guest, pans almost burned and not cleaned properly, left oil splattered about the cooker and wall, but it cleaned off ok and I considered that part of being a host.  Several guests ignore the NO FOOD IN THE BEDROOM rule 😞 
Being able to message previous hosts privately may be the answer.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Zed0

About taking over the kitchen, I have a guest who uses the kitchen for hours, so I have to send him messages and even a sheet, "Tips for sharing," in which I offer tips about sharing the kitchen with others. I point out that you need to use the kitchen around meal time, and others need to use it, too, around that time! I point out that when you are using the kitchen and not seeing anyone coming to check the availability, do NOT assume that no one else needs to use the kitchen. It's because they are all waiting for you to FINISH cooking so that can come cook.  

I think that this common sense does not need to be taught. I find for some people the Tips for sharing does not work at all. But 90% people have common sense and do not occupy a common area/facilities for too long. Many guests use the kitchen for light cooking for, say, 10-20 minutes only, and clean it right away for the next user.

The more you host, the more self-centred guests you will find. Not all. Not the majority, but definitely there are such people. 

Zed0
Level 4
Frome, United Kingdom

I am lucky to have only had this happen once.  In fact the only two guests who have been a problem (not huge problems) were both young Australians.  I felt they were arrogant but they were polite and friendly - well meaning I believe.  
I am right here most of the time, so I speak to my guests and don't feel a need for lists/written rules.  Communication works most of the time and from now on, I will ask the guests to just check with me that no one else needs the kitchen before they start cooking.  (Most people do anyway).
(The other Austrailian guest was a nice cheerful, polite young woman who came back very late after drinking one night with a man and had very loud sex on the bedroom floor and left a used condom in the waste paper basket....  I told her if she wanted a double room, she should book one and she would have to pay more.... she was very sorry and it did not happen again).
Hence my added note in my House Rules ... "No late night or overnight visitors" !
We live and learn! 😉 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Huaai0

"For example, a guest may wash plates after cooking/eating but does not clean the stove. A guest flushes the toilet but leaves a little poop stain in it but does not clean it with the toilet brush. These small things are not that terrible to many hosts out there; but for some hosts, they are not toleratable at all. Would you thumb up or down this person?"

If such minor issues are a concern, the host should review their role as part of the hospitality business.  

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marit-Anne0

I don't quite agree. Blaming hosts for not being suitable for hospitality business is unethical. Here in Canada, 90% of my local/Canadian guests are wonderful, to the extent that after they use your facilities, they leave no traces of having used it, which means they clean it, maintain the cleanliness and tidiness, and put items back where they were. They do treat my house like their own! We have formed such a benign cycle: Hosts are nice, guests are nice, too. Guests are grateful, and hosts thank them back...

Indeed, there may be guests who are not so wonderful. I have a friend who had a guest who rearranged his furniture during his stay. Although no damage was caused, he was lost for words!  And you can't blame him for making a big fuss over it. I, too, find it a little bizarre.

I think it also depends if you are charging a cleaning fee.  If the guest is paying an ample cleaning fee, they should not expect to do any cleaning at all.

Mel55
Level 2
Rotterdam, Netherlands

I woud like my guests to lease the house as they found it.

My 30 euro  cleaning fee is mostly used to have sheets cleaned and ironed + the costs of  products, coffee, teas etc..  

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Such detailed reviews can backfire too.  Savvy travellers will check the reveiws hosts have left for other guests.  

I had a little "clash" with a couple from the far east some years ago - after that, no more bookings from that end of the world.

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marit-Anne0

Good point, I have thought about it, too. That's why I suggested to Airbnb that they should entail an anoynymous reference-checking procedure. 

Also, I don't do racial profiling. I have hosted terrible Indian guests, and I still remain open to Indians, because I believe there are nice people in every race/culture. 

@Huaai0

Who is talking about racial profiling ? I left an honest review, some of it based on not following the house rules. They left a furious response and I believe this incident is backfiring big time.  

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Marit-Anne0

I have not been that "honest" just to avoid hostility. You are right, maybe leaving a smart review to let smart hosts read between the lines is the most realistic idea given the current Airbnb review system. 

If you saw this review, "A fine guest, willing to communicate...," would you host him/her?

Or "A fine guest, who needs to be reminded repeatedly to follow house rules?"

@Huaai0

My guests instant book an "entire home/apartment" - if I got one of those you mention, I would have to follow up with quite a bit of communication. If they had "better suited to a hotel environment", that would be a clear indication that they are not a good match for my place.

That said, I have had guests with stellar reviews not being able to follow my simple house rules and guests with no previous reviews being absolutely immaculate.  Guests are human and they are all different and come with different expectations.  

My recent guests were three young lads in celebrating mood, so I kind of expected some minor issues. And I were right, just minor issues occured which needed 5 minutes of extra work. Nothing broken or ruined and they left a tip, so I let it pass.  

Racial Profiling = I had a bad experience with a guest <with xyz characteristic> and so I don't accept bookings from anyone else <with xyz characteristic.>

One couple from the far east means no more bookings from the far east - you can't see how that is discriminatory?

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

1) Racial profiling is not the same as cultural expectations. As an airbnb host facing a melange of guests from all over the world, it always helps to know the cultural differences and expecatations. 

2) Not *a* bad experience with a guest (with xyz...), but 10 of them within a few months (with xyz...). Note ONE bad experience may be just a singular case, but when you have had a large number of experiences of a similar nature, you will start to question it is just a singular case. 

3) Technically it is hard fo block based on xyz... The only solution is to know what to expect, and communicate well, and love them unconditionally--as everyone has a heart, and we are all the intruments of God.