Can you add a security deposit to certain bookings but not all?

Lauren212
Level 1
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Can you add a security deposit to certain bookings but not all?

We are new to Airbandb and have had an enquiry from some people who have no reviews so were wanting to add a secuirty depsoit just for them. Is that possible?

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Lauren212 No. The security deposit applies to everyone or no one.  That said, Airbnb does not collect a security deposit when a guest books.  The only time the security deposit is used is if you need to make a damage claim.  Here is how you would do this: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Best to have a security deposit for all guests. 

Lauren212
Level 1

Thanks so much.

Lauren212
Level 1

Do people generally charge? I want to be covered but don't want to put people off. Have you ever had to claim damages?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lauren212  Welcome to hosting on Air BNB.  I can see you are still setting up your listings, adding pictures, possibly a security deposit.  It would be best for you not to have Instant Booking turned on until you are all sorted out.  

As @Clare0 advised you cannot have a security deposit for some and not all.  It is possible for the most respectful and good guests to have an accident and cause damage.  One listing is for your whole house and accommodates 5 people which means that you are not there to supervise, right?

Hope this venture is a good one for you!

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Sometimes inexperienced guests, seeing the security deposit, ask if they are supposed to pay it upon arrival. You should explain them, @Lauren212, that they will only be charged if damage happens and the host claims the money.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hola @Lauren212!

The responses below all have their good points, and I love hearing about the personal experiences.  That's really why I use the Community Center, because more often times than none, the answers to hosts' questions can be found in Airbnb Policies.  

I'm a big advocate of making sure any decisions I make abide by the policies first and foremost.  Here is what is says in the Airbnb Policies:

How does Airbnb handle security deposits?

Hosts can add a security deposit to their listing, as long as they add it before a reservation is booked.

If a host wants to make a claim on the security deposit, they must do so within 14 days of the checkout date or before a new guest checks in, whichever is earlier. If a claim is made, Airbnb will mediate and collect payment from the guest, as necessary.

Security deposits can't be handled off-site in cash, as off-site payments are a violation of our terms.

So, you can change it to add a security deposit for them, but prior to booking, then change it back, provided no one else books before you change your setting back; but personally, it does come off slightly unfair from a guests’ perspective.  As a host, I can see the reasoning behind it but there may be a better alternative.

1. Permanently change your cancellation policy. As @Clare0 mentioned, they don’t get charged until YOU submit a claim and this covers you for future mishaps. Like insurance, you are only protecting yourself.  As a “sharing community” the guests should understand this.

We originally didn’t require a deposit for guests and then a key was lost, a glass was broken and, although the guests were willing to pay for the items, we otherwise had no way of getting compensated.  Plus, not all guests maybe so understand in the future.

We set our deposit for $100, you can set it to anything you like, and you can use the insurance policy as a template. Luckily we haven’t had to make any claims since; I just wish we had put it in place sooner.

Besides, if guests are not inclined to accept this deposit policy, they surely will find another Airbnb that doesn’t have it and surely you will find guests who are understanding of the policy set in place.

Preventative “maintenance” is better than damage control, I always say.

2.  Change your Instant Book Settings. If you don’t already have this in place, you should consider it. It may save you some time and possibly increase your bookings while filtering out the guests that don’t meet your booking requirements. 

For example, we have Instant book in place and our requirements include Government-Issued ID Verification along with Airbnb Standard Requirements.  However, you can also add “Recommendation from other hosts” saving you time.  Here is the Airbnb link for more info:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/523/what-is-instant-book

(I will send you a link to my last post to another host regarding this)

I also have Saved Messages that explain our requirements for guests who don’t meet our Requirements which also saves time.  If you would like to see our templates, send me a message and I’d be happy to share them with you.

Hope this is helpful!

Happy Hosting!

Izzie, Co-Host

LOV Puerto Rico

Hi Izzy!

I just read your thoughtful answer to this question, and saw the part of your response that says you have Saved Messages that explain your requirements for guests who don’t meet your Requirements, which saves time. Then you wrote “If you would like to see our templates, send me a message and I’d be happy to share them with you.”

Could I take you up on this offer please? I’m new to cohosting And would find this very helpful.

Thanks! 

Priya