Cancel Reservation due to working away; concerns about financial penalties & loss of Superhost statu

Kathleen34
Level 1
New Ross, Ireland

Cancel Reservation due to working away; concerns about financial penalties & loss of Superhost statu

Hi there,

We are Superhosts, and have a guest booked to stay in June. However, my husband is schedule to start a new job (after long term unemployment) and because we will both be working away at that time, I need to cancel. We want to give the guest as much time as possible to book alternative acccommodation.

I have offered the guest

a) a stay for Saturday night - when we are both home

b) option to cancel

They have been very understanding, but I now have received a notification requesting that I cancel.

My concerns are:

- I will have to pay a financial penalty wiping out all monies I may earn in the interim

- I will lose Superhost status (there is another booking that I may need to cancel also)

- My understanding is that Superhost status means customer service is easier to access. However, I'm not on twitter, and can't see how to call AirBnB Ireland. Is there a local number or email address that actually makes it easier to access?

What I would like to do is:

- Give our 1-2 midweek guests adequate notice to book alternative accommodation

- Host the remaining guests that we can

- Put my calendar on snoozing, keeping my Superhost status until the travel period has passed

- Not have to pay a financial fine

Can you help me achieve the above?

Many thanks,

Kathleen

-----------------------------------------------

Host Cancellation Penalties

$75 cancellation fee
This is 75% of the cancelled reservation’s payout (maximum $75USD)

Automatic cancellation review
An automatic review will be posted on your listing

Blocked calendar dates
Your calendar will remain blocked for the dates of the cancelled reservation

Loss of Superhost status
You’ll have to wait a full year to regain Superhost status

Account Suspension
If you cancel 3 times in 12 months, your account may be suspended.

2 Replies 2
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Kathleen34, ask the guest to cancel, and inform him that you will refund the AirBnB service fee via the Resolution Center. That way he won't be out of pocket. 

More essential reading for hosts. (There's a link in here to how the Resolution Center works.)

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Hi Donna,

Thanks you so much for your response - it was very helpful :-).

Many thanks,

Kathleen