Cancelation problems

Cancelation problems

I just put my house on air bnb last night. I then had someone contact me that was interested. I pressed accept not really knowing that it would take her deposit (again being new to this) and unfortunately it won't work out for her to stay at our house. I canceled the reservation but it won't let me unblock those dates that she wanted. Does anyone know how I do this?  

8 Replies 8
Saowanit0
Level 2
Doi Saket, Thailand

We have the same problem cannot free up the cancelled dates in kalendar

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

One of the penalties of cancelling a booking.

David

The guests move to a Golf resort and i want to make the dates free on the kalendar so in case there are new bookings i refund the days they did not stay but only if the house is rented out again, but if i cannot free this dates on the kalendar there will be no possibility to refund anything.

Their stay is already fully paid and they did not ask for their money back they accept moving on and loose their 'rights'.

This is a Chinese family and the father wants to play golf everyday and will not travel daily the distance of 12 kilometer so the wife and kids who did not want to leave our place had no choise....to bad

Max

Up to the guest to cancel.

David
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Maggie70 @Saowanit0 Airbnb strongly discourages Host cancellations. So, when a Host cancels a booking, there are penalties imposed: there can be a fine ($50, $100, although you might be allowed one cancellation without being fined), the dates are blocked, and you are ineligible to qualify for Super Host for a year. Pretty harsh. That's why it's so important for all new hosts to spend time reading the articles in the Help Centre and the posts on these forums. It's so important that you educate yourself as much as possible to try to avoid the most common pitfalls.

There are a multitude of posts here from new hosts who have cancelled with similar results. Best rule of thumb: NEVER CANCEL. If the guest needs to cancel, have them do it. They lose their Airbnb fees, which is why guests prefer to have the host cancel, but hosts have much more to lose.

There is also a very underhanded technique (in my opinion) that can be used - you receive an email that says X would like to cancel, do you agree? (or similar wording). The correct answer is NO, I am fine to continue with the booking. It then goes back to the guest & they have to do the cancelling. It's caught many a host unaware - they will agree to cancel & bang, the dates are blocked, Super Host is lost for a year and there can be a fine. Not good!

Now that you've made this mistake, all you can do is contact Airbnb & plead your case to see if they will lift the penalities for you. It's worth a try. All ways to contact Airbnb are HERE. I think Twitter gets the quickest response these days. Best of luck! Karen

WE ( the Host) did not cancel the guests leaving early to go to a Golf resort so we want to free up the booked dates on the kalendar the guest stayed already for 3 nights so no cancelation from our side !

Hi @Saowanit0 Best to start a new thread with your question then - you've posted under someone who had a question about cancellation & blocked dates.

Thank you we will.