Cancellation fee

Jessica1032
Level 1
Canmore, Canada

Cancellation fee

Hi, I have registered for "book instantly" with the understanding that if i'm not happy with a guest i can cancel with 100% penalty-free if i'm ever uncomfortable with a reservation. I even read the conditions which state that i can cancel and not be penalised. 

I recently had someone book on a date I was sure i blocked out. I messaged her and she understands there was a mistake. I went to cancel and now it states that i will be charged a cancelation fee of $50 which will be deducted from my next payout!!! 

This is really frustrating as I checked the policies and wanted to make sure if i'm not happy with someone booking instantly, i wouldn't be penalised. 

I also can't find how to contact AirBnB directly. 

Any support will be appreciated, 

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Jessica1032 if you’re ever uncomfortable with a reservation or you end up in a situation where you need to cancel- never do this yourself.

You should always reach out to Airbnb support, explain why you’re uncomfortable with the booking and then they will cancel it on your behalf.

If you cancel directly yourself, as you found out you’ll end up being fined and a review will appear on your account saying you have cancelled a reservation, which can put future guests off from booking.

As you did this in error reach out to Airbnb and see if they can write the cancellation off that you made yourself.

Best wishes 

Paul 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yes - because you aren't cancelling this guest because you are uncomfortable  with her ie because she is breaking your house rules, it is a third party booking or because she wants to arrive way before your check in time. You need to provide a reason as to why the guest is making you uncomfortable.

It's because you think you made a mistake with blocking out the days in your calendar.

If the guest is booking more than two weeks before arrival you can see if they are willing to cancel the booking as they can do that penalty free.

All the ways of contacting Airbnb are outlined at the top of the forum you are posting in. Give them a call maybe they will be flexible.